Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Bonehead wrote:
"You want me to drive straight into that hail of gunfire?!? What are you, f'ing nuts?!"

B'Looone couldn't help but think that there was no 'good' way to go about any of this, now. "What if we go around them and come in through the north gate?"

Malcolm is feeling the heat of the battle, some of it probably the residue from the heavy laser blast he took earlier. Added to this is the frustration of landing so far outside his own weapon's range, which is his own fault. Unfortunately, he takes it out on B'Looone.

“WE AIN'T GOT TIME TO DEBATE! MOVE!”
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Bonehead » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Seeing the ground around the explorer erupt from laser fire , B'Looone curses and slams his foot on the accelerator. "Grraaahh!!!" he yells, "I'm going around them!" As the vehicle gains momentum, he swerves to the northwest intending to go around the northeast corner of the compound and enter through the main gate on the north side.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm

"Time for a break," Sebastian says to Chatterbox. "You've got quite an appetite, waddaya say to a refill?" Sebastian begins to reload the machine gun.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:23 am

"They only have one heavy weapon that's operational!" Malcom pleads excitedly with the driver. "Gren or the Dart will have that out of action soon enough. Just get me and the combat 'bots within 400 meters, then you can go wherever the hell you want to."

OOC: Does the explorer have a large OE insignia? Something that can be seen from a distance of maybe 400m?
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Bonehead » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:20 pm

BD Cerridwen wrote:"They only have one heavy weapon that's operational!" Malcom pleads excitedly with the driver. "Gren or the Dart will have that out of action soon enough. Just get me and the combat 'bots within 400 meters, then you can go wherever the hell you want to."

This is a very bad idea, B'Looone tells himself. "Fine!", he yells at Malcolm, "but if we all die because of your stupid plan, don't come crying to me!" Keeping his foot placed firmly on the accelerator, he changes course so that the explorer is heading directly towards the northernmost Yazerian.

OOC: can B'Looone see if any of them are wearing uniforms of any sort?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:36 pm

I tried to answer Malcom's question a couple days ago but the anti-spam protection on the website was blocking my IP address from the airport, I've been traveling around quite a bit the last few days (got to walk onto SOFIA in the hanger yesterday). I'm actually at the Oakland airport right now headed home for Easter weekend.

Yes, the explorer has a large OE insignia on the front under the windshield and also on the sides.

The beings at the fenceline don't seem to be wearing uniforms, just mismatched military skeinsuits.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Malcom completes his dash to the Explorer and scrambles to the roof.

Taking advantage of the temporary lack of motion, Gren fires his recoilless rifle once again at the north tower. The shot just catches the edge of the tower but it is enough to finish undermining it and it topples over taking the 'bot inside with it.

Simultaneously, the 'bot in the toppling tower and it's counterpart in the south tower both fire at the Explorer but both miss as well.

You see motion in the rubble of the tower in the center of the east fence line as the robot that was in the tower pulls itself free of the debris. At the same time the laser on the Dart lashes out and blasts it into dozens of pieces.

At the northeast corner of the compound, you see a beat up OES-1 bot reach the edge of the fence line. The Yazarian closest to it yells something and it changes direction heading down along the fence instead of out toward the Explorer.

Sebastian fires his last round from the currently loaded ammo belt but to no effect as the shots hit the dirt in front of your opponents.

Your four security robots on foot are now about 50m behind Sebastian (although none of you can see them for the moment because of the smoke clouds). They will reach his position and pass him on the next turn.

@all: Just a reminder in case you missed it, the fence line on the east (closest to you) side of the compound is completely on the ground except for a little bit (about 20m) closest to the NE corner (where Maria fried the tower with the Atomic engine instead of the tower getting toppled). You could drive right into the compound if you wanted to.

@Maria: The Dart has been on the ground for exactly 60 seconds at this point. What system are you working on repairing, hull, maneuverability or engine acceleration? All three were damaged.

Here are the current positions:

Maneuveribility.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Yes, the explorer has a large OE insignia on the front under the windshield and also on the sides.

OOC: At what distance are the OE 'bots likely to be able to make out the OE insignia on the front of the explorer? Does the explorer have any sort of loudspeaker system?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Will » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Bonehead wrote:
Terl Obar wrote:Yes, the explorer has a large OE insignia on the front under the windshield and also on the sides.

OOC: At what distance are the OE 'bots likely to be able to make out the OE insignia on the front of the explorer? Does the explorer have any sort of loudspeaker system?

OOC: If it does, can it broadcast Motorhead? :lol:
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:16 am

Will wrote:
Bonehead wrote:

OOC: If it does, can it broadcast Motorhead? :lol:

OOC: I vote for Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries. :D
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 pm

OOC: Sorry about the delay guys. I've been busy doing other stuff, mostly working on my Second Sathar War computer game. In any case, I'll try to get this going again.

BIC:
No, the explorer doesn't have a loudspeaker system. Sorry. The bots will easily be able to see the insignia by the time you are within shouting range (which I'm declaring to be 200m for Gren and B'Loone, 150m for everyone else). Movement and combat update to follow shortly, I just need to work it out.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 pm

B'Loone guns the explorer and it leaps forward nearly throwing Malcom off the luggage rack. Just as the explorer clears its initial position the ground were it had been sitting erupts as the 'bot with the heavy laser in the south tower opens fire. The Dart returns fire at the bot but misses as well. The explorer is now 780m from the compound and traveling 60 m/turn.

Gren and Sebastian both reload their weapons this round.

As Sebastian is just about done feeding the new belt into Chatterbox, he sees four shapes emerge out of the smoke cloud behind him and start to pass his position. He realizes that they are the team's four security bots.

Maria finds that one of the machine gun bullets that hit the Dart lodged in the space between the elevator on the starboard wing and the wing proper. Venting her frustration she gives the elevator a good whack and pops it free with the mangled bullet falling to the ground at her feet. (Her successful Repair Machinery roll restores one of the four lost turns per round to the Dart's functionality. It now has 3 of it's 6 turns).

Here's the positions at the end of the round:

Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 am

"Woooo-Hoooo!" shouts Malcom, hanging on for dear life but letting the adrenaline rush get to him. Then it occurs to him that he better prepare the robots for the next stage of the mission. He yells down into the explorer's cabin. "Robots, prepare to disembark in 20-30 seconds with albedo screens active. I need you to stay between me and that heavy laser. We will engage the enemy group on the right from the center out, using aimed shots and rifles set to maximum. Do not fire on any living being that chooses to run away. Confirm orders!"

"Affirmative," the two combat 'bots reply mechanically, just slightly out of sync with each other. "This unit will be ready to dismount the vehicle in 20 to 30 seconds. This unit will have the albedo screen active and stand between OE human Malcolm Smythe and the heavy laser. This unit will engage the enemy group on the right from the center out with a laser rifle set to maximum. Any retreating living beings will not be targeted."
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:52 pm

"That's got it," Maria replies, before scrambling to the atmo bridge, belting in, lifting off and flying nape of the earth(as low as the Dart will go) towards the figures advancing on the Explorer.

"Ship," she says,"torch those voggers on the ground!"

"Then," she adds, standing by to cut in the atomics,"aim for the reactor."

OOC: Maria's going to fry the nearest fleshie with the heavy las, then, if possible, take a shot at the reactor.

If not possible, she'll fry another organic.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Adrenalin keeps B'Looone's "foot" pressed firmly against the accelerator. He's a little calmer now that the explorer is moving again. Driving gives him something to focus on, so that he doesn't become overwhelmed with fear. All I have to do is drive, he reassures himself. All I have to do, is drive the explorer into the compound. I'm gonna smash right through that wall. I'm gonna smash right through that OES 'bot and right through that wall and I'm gonna keep on driving.

That's not a bad idea, actually, he realizes. If I can smash through their line, and get us to the main office, then they'll have to come ferret us out, while dealing with our 'bots coming up behind them. Either that, or they'll be dealing with our 'bots while we're coming up behind them. I think that might be a plan.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 pm

As soon as he's locked and loaded, Sebastian will resume firing at the same point again.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:48 pm

B'Loone guns the Explorer headed toward the compound. Gren unleashes his recoilless rifle at the bot in the S tower firing the heavy laser. As the shell arcs toward the tower, the 'bot returns fire scoring a direct hit on the front of the Explorer (rolled a 5). The blast knocks the wheel out of B'Loone's pseudopods and the explorer goes into a spin. Gren and Malcom hold on for dear life and Malcom's grip holds for this turn preventing him from getting flung off the explorer at 90m/turn. Grem is only half out of the explorer and manages to hold on to his rifle so it doesn't go flying off either. In the confusion, no one notices that Gren's shot was spot on, landing inside the tower and doing serious damage to the bot. The explorer is 690m from the edge of the compound and currently facing NE (away from the compound). Next turn it will skid and spin to a stop.

Sebastian's fire goes high, missing the targets on the ground and the Dart's laser misses as well exploding into the rubble of the fence.

Maria starts to climb back up into the Dart's cockpit (will arrive next round).

The team's security bots on foot emerge from the smoke cloud (which is starting to dissipate) and are 830m from the compound.

Here are the current positions:

Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Fri May 01, 2009 7:36 am

This is going to end badly, thinks Malcom in mid spin. I should have stayed on foot!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Bonehead » Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 pm

B'Looone's clever planning is interrupted when the steering wheel is ripped out of his "hands". OH SHIT! is about as coherent a thought as he is able to conjure. NO NO NO NO NO!! he fruitlessly protests as he tries desperately to get the explorer back under his control.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue May 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Sorry about the long delay, been working on my computer game.

Maria climbs into her seat on the flying bridge and starts to power up the main engines.

Sebastian opens fire but misses again. However, he notices that the smoke cloud around him is starting to thin out.

Your security bots on foot continue to advance and are now 770m from the fence line.

Malcom is holding on for dear life on the top of the Explorer. Just as he thinks he's got the spin motion figured out, the Explorer lurches in an unanticipated direction as B'Loone manages to regain control (made RS check) before coming to a complete stop (since the RS check was made by more than half, you still have 30 m/turn of forward motion).

Unfortunately for Malcom, this causes him to lose his grip (missed the RS check by 1! :o ) and he starts to slide off the explorer. Luckily he manages to grab a handhold at the last minute (made a RS check by more than half) and doesn't fall off but is now dangling over the side of the Explorer where he has a nice view through the window at a startled looking Leo. :D .

Gren just barely manages to hold on to his Recoilless Rifle (made the RS check by 1!) and keep his seat.

The 'bot in the S tower fires once again but is a bit behind the Explorer, hitting where you would have been if B'Loone hadn't regained control of the vehicle. The Dart returns fire but misses as well.

Here are the current positions, the Explorer is 630m from the compound and traveling at 30 m/turn.

BTW, it has now been 30 turns (3 minutes) since Malcom's opening shot on the initial flyby.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure