Chapter 2.1 Operation Guillotine

Set in the Star Frontiers setting 100 years after the original Warriors of White Light Module pursuing all new adventures in the classic setting. Most original TSR printed game materials are constitute history in this game.

Moderator: jedion357

Re: Chapter 2: Operation Guillotine

Postby Inigo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm

OOC: Just for clarification; the elevators are opening as Slayerian is rushing from the balcony. Are we on the elevator this go-round or are we still down on the 8th floor?
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby umungus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Mantin pairs up with Savrax in the elevator. taking cover as best he can in a round elevator.
umungus
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 pm

OOC the elevator teams are on the 8th floor waiting for their go around- there have been two elevator go arounds when Slayerian jumped the gun.

At this point the elevators are back at the 8th floor and ready for another trip.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 am

OOC: The good news is that the bad guys should all be looking the wrong way when you come up in the elevator and stairs having been distracted by Slayerian.

BIC:
"Captain, the team has located the princess," Tanar reports after hearing Slayerian's announcement. "The bad news is she's trapped on the same level as the GOC but the team is engaging them now."
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby donpaulie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

IC: Liam's pulse begins to race. The seconds seem like days. "For the first time in your life you are doing something useful, you wretched little man" Liam quietly says to Dead Benny's corpse. This was new to Liam. It is different when you sit in a cockpit and press a button to destroy your enemy...its just a ship, that's all. You never think of the life you snuff out in the name of duty....this was entirely different, having to look in the eyes of the man you are about to dispose of. Liam can justify why...his duty to the crown. He waits for the elevator to begin its trip up.
donpaulie
Explorer

Postby Inigo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Rushing into the elevator with Mantin, Savrax takes position and draws his Rafflur M-2. “I am sure the Gorlian will feel this.” Savrax looks very anxious as he keeps pushing the button for the 9th floor and saying ‘let’s go, let’s go, let’s go’, even though he knows that it is Tanar who controls the elevators at the moment, not the button panel.

OOC: Can you tell us which elevators we are in (top or bottom)? Savrax plans to unload his clip on the Gorlian (5 shots), rushing him at the end and using his really cool sonic sword on him if he is still standing.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:30 pm

IC round 1:

Slayerian stood framed in the doorway stunned by the explosion while the yaz and the gorlian turned on him. The gorlian’s machine gun shredded the skien suit and left Slayerian near unconsciousness [54 pts skien suit stops 21 pts and Slayerian is at 1 STA]. The terrorist yas throws a tangler grenade that harmlessly detonates against the wall.

One of the two human terrorist ran to the piano and muffled by his gas mask he says, “Its her! Time to die monarchist wench!” as he burst fires his autorifle.

The other human terrorist moved toward the end of the bar to see what his compatriot was talking about.

Ventura being left with his rifle set for 20, powered by a clip not his belt, curses himself for that and fires the one shot he will get off at the floor to ceiling glass window. He then dives for the cover of the wall and to pull back his friend who took the vicious machine gun burst, if he can. The massive glass window explodes from energy transfer and creates a new doorway.

Bodger got the Molotov lit and guessing at where the terrorist had been by the couch (now obscured by the cloud of smoke from the smoke grenade detonated earlier.) His throw is blind and it lands where the terrorist was. Non the less he’s up and running for the princess and nearly collides with the terrorist he had hoped to torch just as the man is firing at the princess.

Grelude rushes the barricade the yazirian is behind but fires his appropriated grenade rifle at the gorlian while on the run and scores hit but the big brute sensed the grenade and managed to partially dodge the area of effect. [50pts RS check for ½ -19pts to polyplate -6 to STA]

Alyssa Blue knowing there are shooters coming behind her turns right out of the stairs and fires her raffleur at the gorlian but cover and movement spoil her aim.

Allyson Drake eying the cloud of gas attempts to stay in the stair well, using the curve of the wall for cover but just out of the smoke cloud. She fires on the yazirian that is just shadowy firing twice but to no effect.

Niss noting that Slayerian is critical runs past everyone and mounts the couch firing a burst into the yazirian [24pts ½ to skien suit].

Savrax, Mantin, and Liam board their elevators and chafe in frustration as they must wait out the ride.

Round 2:

The Gorlian turns on stairs team and unleashes a burst [67pts: 22 to Alyssa and Niss 23 to Grelude half goes against your skien suits].
The yaz terrorist tosses a frag grenade that lands in between the Alyssa, Grelude, and Niss [52 pts Niss fails the RS check – Niss- 52 pts; Grelude 26 pts; Alyssa 26pts.]

The human leaning over the princess fired another burst from his rifle, emptying it.
The other human fired on Michael “Bodger” Rays with is gyro rifle 3 times [2 hits for 41pts ½ to skien suit]
Unfortunately for the terrorist shooting at the princess Michael “Bodger” Rays was directly behind him and unnoticed and Bodger put his semi automatic directly to the base of the terrorist skull and fired one round. It was a no miss shot and blood, bone, and brains sprayed out through the exit hole in the front of his gas mask.

Slayerian despite his pain hosed the yazirian with a burst of automatic fire [26pts ½ to skien suit] and dove back behind the wall with Ventura. Ventura was jacking his laser rifle into a power belt.

Niss emptied her auto rifle into the yaz [38 pts and he goes down] as she continues her run for the doorway that Slayerian just vacated.

Grelude tags the gorlian with a hand thrown frag grenade and the brute fails to dodge [42pts 31 to polyplate 11 STA].

Alyssa steadies her breathing and scores one raffluer shot on the Gorlian [18 pts STA].

Allyson curses the use of the smoke grenade and dives into it moving closer to get a shot but without a combat helm with its IR optics she only gets as far as the barricade and opts to hold her fire.

The elevators burst open and Liam firing from behind Dead Benny is firing blind. Miraculously he hits the gorlian with a burst [28pts 21 to polyplate and 7 STA]

Savrax unleashes his raffleur and scores 1 hit [17 STA].

Mantin fires a burst from the same elevator as Savrax [30 pts 22 to polyplate and 8STA]
(The gorlian is now bleeding from numerous wounds and looks to be suffering from pain)

Round 3: The gorlian roars and puts a burst into the elevator Savraz and Mantin are firing from. [60pts 30 each Savrax and Mantin ½ to skien suits]. He then backs into the bar for better cover.

The last human terrorist also seeks better cover in the bar while firing 3 shots at Bodger that all miss.

Ventura popped up from his cover and fired two 20 SEU shots on the gorlian with one hitting. The gorlian’s albedo screen flared massively but held. [114pts all absorbed by the screen].

Niss pushed Slayerian down and sat on him while she injected him with biocort and did quick first aid on him [+10 STA].

Grelude moved up and tossed his last frag grenade but it bounces and ruins the façade of the fire place.

Alyssa, rather than wasting time with reloading her raffluer switched to the omega bolt for a shot [52 pts] and the big brute goes down.

Laim, Savrax and Mantin rush forward and their combined fire waste the last remaining terrorist.

Immediate after math: The medics converge on the princess who’d lying on the floor surrounded by shell casing from two auto rifle bursts fired at her at point blank range.
She seems to have no visible wounds at all but a diagnosis by med scan by Allyson reveals a human female near death with multiple bullet wounds. [STA 2]

As Liam removes his gas mask she moan’s, “Liam”

Something about the voice bother’s Liam something about it seems eerily familiar.

OOC: was there enough hurt to go around? Just an FYI: the gorlian's armor had 139pts left and his albedo screen has 6 more SEU
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:02 pm

Completely OOC since Tanar isn't there but:

jedion357 wrote:As Liam removes his gas mask she moan’s, “Liam”

Something about the voice bother’s Liam something about it seems eerily familiar.

The "princess" is Penny and "Penny" down stairs is the princess. That's why "Penny" wasn't talking earlier. Just a guess :)
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby geekmeter11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Bodger
IC: Scanning the room and seeing terrorists are down and out, I drop my gun and raise my empty hands saying "Good day ladies and gentlemen, is there anything I can do for you?"
geekmeter11
Frontiersman

Postby MOrab46019 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:08 pm

IC:Ally rushes over to wounded female and asks the true medic,"Is there anything I can do to help."

OCC:Hopeful we can save "Penny."
MOrab46019
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 am

IC: Probing her body Niss and Alley find the holoscreen and shut it off and its not the princess but Lady Penelope. She's been riddled with bullets and is bleeding out. Niss and Ally go to work immediately injecting her with biocort and doing first aid and minor surgery in concert.

Lady Penelope will live though she's badly shaken and Niss very much debated sedating her with staydose.

Members of the strike team run to Liam's suite and find the princess in a full blown panic attack.

OOC: by my count everyone but Liam and Ally are wounded- the team will extract the principle and will take her attendant (Lady Penelope) but not the civilians on the shuttle (regs and all) but appropriate authorities will arrive soon enough and the mopping up of the damage will ensue.

Ill have an epilogue soon (the above post was very time consuming to track damage and such)

FYI I had to fudge the damage from the raffleur as the listing in zebs doesn't mesh with AD rules (basically I rolled 3d10 +2 pts based of the listing in digiremasted zebs) I just found the Polyhedron article that had the raffleur before it ended up in zebs and I'll use those rules from now on. I'll put an entry in the equipment folder and those with proton guns can review the article.

Everyone will get healed up and swap out damage equipment.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Will » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:43 am

OOC: This is the end of the line for me. My heart's just not in it anymore.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:25 am

Terl Obar wrote:Completely OOC since Tanar isn't there but:

jedion357 wrote:As Liam removes his gas mask she moan’s, “Liam”

The "princess" is Penny and "Penny" down stairs is the princess. That's why "Penny" wasn't talking earlier. Just a guess :)

It popped into my head a few days after Liam got busy in the game to do that twist with Lady Penelope. While I thought I was being oh so smart about the plot twist apparently it was fairly thread bare and seen through immediately- though someone once told me the appropriate level of subtleness in an RPG that wont be missed by players is whacking them over the head with a rule book.
jedion357
Referee

Postby donpaulie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:31 pm

OOC: Sorry for the late post, this is what Liam would have done if I posted more timely.

IC: As the sound of gunfire dies down and the smoke begins to settle, Liam removes his gas mask. "Liam" he hears in a weak voice. He recognizes the voice (Liam rolled 02 on his INT roll in the private email)..."No..." Liam says softly. "PENNY!!!" cries Liam in horror. He rushes to her side not caring who he knocks aside. He kneels by her side putting his hands over her wounds in a fuetile attempt at tr ying to stop her bleeding. "Why Penny?" Liam stays by her side as the medics tend to her wounds, holding her hand. When the Princess is recovered from Liam's closet. He gives her the proper respect that her title demands, but gives the Princess the "How Could You Let Her Do This" look. Liam is definetly not happy with the young Princess. His only concern now is for Penny. Since Liam is not a Royal Marine, or any kind official he will go with Penny to the medical facilities and will avoid any RM, media, police or royalty for the time being.

OOC: Nice twist, Jedi
donpaulie
Explorer

Postby Inigo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Savrax has a slight limp as he comes over to Bodger. With his left hand he pulls off his helmet as he holsters his M2 with his right. “And you are?” Savrax takes notice of Bodgers clothing.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby MOrab46019 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:08 pm

IC:Ally rests a hand on Liam ans says,"Ripper,She is fine. We got to her in time.". Ally nod to Niss to give her the shot to get her to chill her out.

OOC:GM great job. Can't wait to see what else you can do.
MOrab46019
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Inigo wrote:Savrax has a slight limp as he comes over to Bodger. With his left hand he pulls off his helmet as he holsters his M2 with his right. “And you are?” Savrax takes notice of Bodgers clothing.

Savrax notes that Michael “Bodger” Rays is wearing a military skein suit stripped of a number of uniform patches except the Name patch of, "Rays." Its obvious to him that Mr Rays is wearing Land Fleet uniform. There is another name patch added that clearly is a Resort Staff name patch saying, "Bodger."
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Epilogue:

Of the five simultaneous assassinations attempted by the Guards of Clarion two were completely foiled, two were stopped in progress, and one succeeded.
Lord Lawrence David Braxel, Duke of Low Mount was killed on his estate. He was fourth in line to inherit the throne.

It was determined by Royal Marine Intelligence that the team of terrorist sent after Princess Avana had capture as their primary objective. This team succeeded in killing most of her Royal Guard bodyguards but were killed themselves by the Royal Marine team sent to air lift her form the Glacier Bay region. Only one member of the bodyguards survived.

A report of a Space Fleet fighter craft entering Clarion’s atmosphere and engaging terrorist targets on the ground surfaced. Royal Marine Intelligence investigated and ruled those reports as unsubstantiated. The Space Fleet craft in question was ruled to have suffered an engine flame out that was purely coincidental to Royal Marine operations in Glacier Bay.

In the Glacier Bay incident Royal Marine personnel were awarded a total of 7 Indigo Stripes (for wounds in the line of duty), 7 Conspicuous Gallantry Stars (for gallantry), 1 Queens Gallantry Medal, and 1 knighthood. The Royal Guards who sold their live, very nearly to a man, for their charge all received the Queen’s Gallantry Medal or the Leonine Star. Three civilians involved in saving the princess’ life were also award knighthoods in the Order of the Royal Companions of Honor (does not actually confer the title of sir but was deemed a suitable award in place of the normal military awards). Most notable among the civilians was Lady Penelope Ainsworth who donned a holoscreen of the princess and attempted to distract the assassins while the princess escaped. Additionally the Queen extended an unprecedented offer of dual citizenship to those involved who were still currently non citizens. [Normally, a non citizen can join the Royal Marines and Royal Guards but are required to become a citizen before signing for a second tour of duty. There is a general requirement of giving up prior citizenship but it has been waived in unusual situations]

In the aftermath of a sathar incursion in White Light several Space Fleet vessels made unscheduled stops in the system and shore leave parties of SF personnel became a regular site on Clarion Station and in several cities on the surface.

The Pelican performed her shake down cruise close to “home” in the inner system testing out her new experimental ablative armor. The crew put in a month before turning the ship back over to the ship yard for minor retooling and glitches that needed to be ironed out. A number of transfers into and out of the ships crew occur during this time as well.

Debate began in the public forum over the proper response to the sathar incursion. A popular theme was the re-commissioning of Raptor Squadron and bringing the old fighters out of mothballs for system defense. While the idea was popular with the public it was down played by the Minister of Defense as too costly and a step backward from the medical ship designs the Ministry of Defense had been considering. This created an uproar when someone in leaked the proposed ship designs that clearly had their armament reduced over current ship designs.

Civilians:
Lord Liam Mowbray: Companion of Honor Order of the Royal Companions of Honor (CH)

Michael “Bodger” Rays: Order of the Royal Companions of Honor, also offered dual citizenship with no requirement of giving up citizenship for his birth planet.

Lady Penelope Ainsworth: Order of the Royal Companions of Honor

Royal Marines:
Allyson Drake: Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS, also offered dual citizenship with no requirement of giving up citizenship for her birth planet.

Savrax Gunus: Indigo Stripe, Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS,

Mantin ‘Chit Chang: promoted to Spacer First Class, Awarded: Indigo Stripe, Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS, also offered dual citizenship with no requirement of giving up citizenship for his birth planet.

Alyssa Blue: Indigo Stripe, Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS,

Grelude: promoted to Spacer First Class, Indigo Stripe, Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS, also offered dual citizenship with no requirement of giving up citizenship for his birth planet.

Tanar Daagron: Promoted to Junior Lieutenant, awarded Kight Companion Order of the Eagle (KPE) [carries the title of Sir]
No other award or medal was appropriate for Tanar so he awarded a fairly common Knighthood given to members of the military.

Slayerian: promoted to Spacer First Class, Awarded: Indigo Stripe, The Queens Gallantry Medal (QGM)

Ventura: Indigo Stripe, Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS

Niss: Indigo Stripe, Conspicuous Gallantry Star- CGS

OOC: I need to number crunch a pay check for one month time; killing the terrorist only put you on the time clock for a day thus I've rounded it out to a month. There will be cash awards of 1000 Cr for the 3 knighthoods but the only one PC, Tanar, gets the title of Sir. There is some seeming inequity in that but then the Yaz NPC catches a more prestigious medal for being the meat trigger to step on a landmine and very nearly get himself killed so go figure. Liam isn't actually employed but he can presume to rely on his families resources within reason.

Michael Rays (Bodger), with his prior military experience and being an engineer, will get the recruiting sales pitch from the RM, due to already being an engineer and prior military experience he wont have to go through the regular accademy courses but take the limited Officer Candidate School (OCS) to be brought up to speed on RM protocol it will take a month (actually 2 months since Clarion's month is double the Galactic Standard).

Allyson was posted to the Pelican for the shakedown.
It looks like Ike Clanton and Alyssa Blue will get transfers to other duties and possibly Grelude
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Relieved that no one from the crew was killed and the princess safely recovered, Tanar is surprised once again to receive an award, in this case a Knighthood, especially since he wasn't even anywhere close to the action but was safe in orbit.

Still the youngest member of the team, he definitely feels awkward if anyone starts calling him 'Sir Daagron' and will quickly downplay that if it comes up. However, since it is a fairly common award, he expects the others will be receiving it soon themselves and he feels that it won't be too long before it's not a big deal.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 am

OOC: sorry Tanar- the captain wrote you up for critical mission support and the word from the Queen to the Lord Commander was that everyone was to be recognized. In the end you got a promotion and a Knighthood. (my read on knighthood and medals is that much of the time people who really deserve them dont always get them and those who do get them sometimes dont really deserve them- not implying anything there) You could refuse the knighthood but that might elicit negative reactions by NPCs and stifle future promotions.

1. pole closed on the rules change and it went 4 to 1 for the (even discounting my vote which was cast so I could see the results early on it seems a clear majority) so no more progressive requirements for space ship skills- there are minimum requirements to get space ship skill but after that a player can advance any skill he chooses as he chooses.

2. I'll get busy on a payday and
exp awards I'm going to scale them for new players and make it 3 for active PCs from the start of the chapter; 2 for Liam and Ally; 1 for Bodger and 1 for NPCs for them to keep pace with the PCs

Notoriety points 1 for everyone but Liam gets an extra two for his court martial- as there are a lot of people who sort of detest him (FYI for New players Notoriety is a rough scale of fame for me to use to judge NPC reactions especially if you're trying to trade on your name to get something out of an NPC)

I'll update exp, awards and money once I've number crunched the money- which now that I said a month actually means 2 months GST as per Clarions orbital rotation not what I intended but a win fall for you all to spend.

3. I'll have a few posts that are color to set the stage for Act 2 of chapter 2, coming along.
I'll award 1 exp for PCs interacting with the setting or doing something during the coming "month" whether its a bit of character development or you can try discovering info on persons or event or things that have happened in this chapter. Digging for clues obviously requires feed back from me but if its just character development you have great license in writing that.
Of course the newer players may need to get their NPC contact squared away to effectively dig for clues (Liam co-opted Buzz Antrin so he's good, Bodger has an uncle he's out of touch with but still just a name (needs a paragraph in the character sheet thread), Ally doesn't have one that I remember-you can hit with questions by email if need be.
jedion357
Referee

PreviousNext

Return to Against the Night- Warriors of White Light