Chapter 2.2 The Revolution Endures!

Set in the Star Frontiers setting 100 years after the original Warriors of White Light Module pursuing all new adventures in the classic setting. Most original TSR printed game materials are constitute history in this game.

Moderator: jedion357

Re: Chapter 2.2 The Revolution Endures!

Postby geekmeter11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Savrax walks over next to Bodger and asks, “Bodger, you have any idea what sort of rock dust that might be, or the most probable place it would have come from?”

IC:"yeah, let me open my helmet now and give it a taste." :P

Bodger pulls out a screwdriver (common to have a magnetic tip) and slides it through the dust.

OOC: Astronomy is one of my hobbies. If this asteroid dust, the amount of iron (or lack there of) will tell two things 1) how close to a star the rock can be found (2) lack of iron indicates a kuipier belt or comet.
Color of dust is important. Lighter in color indicates a silica material, lighter and pushed out further into the solar system. Black indicates carbon and hydroclorides, comet material. An asteriod miner would have to know this.
geekmeter11
Frontiersman

Postby jedion357 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 pm

OOC: you have atmosphere it was just the air lock that was open.

IC:Allyson and Mantin break out some sterile supplies from the med kits for collecting evidence.

Savrax called Niss back at the Pelican concerning scanning for DNA her response, “Affirmative Sir, if you have enough of a sample the med scanner should get you a DNA profile though the med scanner will be limited to what it can do for you as far as processing that information. If you have prior DNA scans in its memory you be able to compare them for a match and you’ll also be about to tell the sex of the donor. Beyond that analyzing DNA is tricky with just a scanner.”

Bodger responds to Savrax’s query about the rock dust, “On a mining ship a new asteroid is being dug every few days or every week depending on circumstances. If this is cast off from boots and clothes then it’s likely to contain minerals from several different mining sites. Also it could be complicated by how often someone cleans or changes their clothes. The old geo scanner is what we wound want to get an elemental breakdown but I believe the Pelican is stocked with the newer tri scanner which should do the trick. I just didn’t think to bring one.”

Laim, as a pilot chimes in, “Yes this boat will have a ‘black box’ if you will that holds the control and nav logs and a memory buffer. There may or may not be a deck sole access plate to get at it as many must be pulled form outside the ship.”

Tanar takes the 2nd seat next to Liam who hasn’t actually touched the controls as there is a security lockout program that requires a 6 digit password.

As Allyson and Mantin collect the blood [it only a small amount but both scan the sample and come up with xx chromosomes but the whisky glass doesn’t seem to have enough of a sample to read perhaps you can try again in sick bay].

OOC: Tanar can attempt bypass or defeat computer security or radio back to Clarion for the password as Palace security almost certainly would have to have it. Tanar did pick up a body comp progit that would let him download and store info IIRC from our email discussion?

So here’s what I see the rolls for the computer stuff: bypass or defeat security (lvl2 computer) display information, and interface computers just to download the memory banks.

A break down on the Run About

The cockpit it your basic 2 seats at the controls and tow jump seats behind for rubber neckers and back seat pilots. Each seat has access to the ships computer.

The main cabin has galley (think airline style galley) with a stasis field “refrigerator” which isn’t really a refrigerator but is a luxury appliance. Food is prepped ahead and put into stasis fresh. The galley also has a SF version microwave for reheating though stasis food usually come out the right temp. All food and packaging is disposable, waste slot next to the stasis unit. There is old school hot coffee brewer with 0g features for filling squeeze bulbs its an add on and not original. There are some storage cabinets next to the galley. And a table with bench seats.

Across from the galley and table is a couch, chair and entertainment center for viewing holo vids and listening to music. Near to that is a computer station.

The area down the ladder has a standard engineers station. Next to that is a head with all the bells and whistles for toiletry under grav or 0g including a high end sonic shower.

Across from that are two sleeping, berth stacked. Each berth has some cabinets for storage and beds, there is 1.5 meters clearance in each sleep berth.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:19 pm

geekmeter11 wrote:Savrax walks over next to Bodger and asks, “Bodger, you have any idea what sort of rock dust that might be, or the most probable place it would have come from?”

IC:"yeah, let me open my helmet now and give it a taste." :P

Bodger pulls out a screwdriver (common to have a magnetic tip) and slides it through the dust.

OOC: Astronomy is one of my hobbies. If this asteroid dust, the amount of iron (or lack there of) will tell two things 1) how close to a star the rock can be found (2) lack of iron indicates a kuipier belt or comet.
Color of dust is important. Lighter in color indicates a silica material, lighter and pushed out further into the solar system. Black indicates carbon and hydroclorides, comet material. An asteriod miner would have to know this.

LOL: Bodger I was going to answer this from the chart of minerals located in the KH rules for prospecting in an asteroid belt. I was already googling details on another clue who'd have thought I'd have to research into cosmic dust? While iron content might tell you where the wearer of the clothes that left behind the dust might have been that might not be the same as where he's headed. But I'll bite, though I'm not convinced the human tongue is as sensitive as a tri scanner would be. IIRC Stone Wall Jackson got an odd taste in his mouth when he touched brass- though I could have the historic figure wrong.

IC: Bodger takes off his combat helm and tastes the rock dust, "Iron for sure likely a lot of other stuff."
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby MOrab46019 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:45 am

"Ally, let's get a sample of that blood for analysis. It may be nothing but let's not take chances.

IC:Ally says,"On it." As she pulls out what is need to capture and hold the sample.
MOrab46019
Scout

Postby MOrab46019 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:48 am

As Allyson and Mantin collect the blood [it only a small amount but both scan the sample and come up with xx chromosomes but the whisky glass doesn’t seem to have enough of a sample to read perhaps you can try again in sick bay].

OOC: Tanar can attempt bypass or defeat computer security or radio back to Clarion for the password as Palace security almost certainly would have to have it. Tanar did pick up a body comp progit that would let him download and store info IIRC from our email discussion?

OOC:Ally will be ready with the NPC to do it in sickbay just in case Tanar can't get the info.
MOrab46019
Scout

Postby geekmeter11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 am

Ok, Tom is out of it and can't see jokes. :lol:

IC: Bodger does not taste the dust, since poisons like arsenic are used to break down rock, he sees the iron stuck to the end of his magnetic tipped screw driver. However, if the dust smells like almonds, it was processed by arsenic.
geekmeter11
Frontiersman

Postby donpaulie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 am

OOC: Sorry for not posting sooner!

IC: Liam will assist in retreaving the black box and getting the recordings played. @ Tanar "Boss, I want to get some short and long range sensor scans. Maybe we can get a beat on them." Liam also takes a look around the ship when he is able to. To Liam, does it look like she went peacefully or did she put up a fight?
donpaulie
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 am

"Good plan, Liam," Tanar responds to Liam's idea for the scans, "See what you can find out. Everyone, you definitely don't have to wait for permission here. Time is of the essence. If it makes sense and won't interfere with someone else, just do it. Let's get this ship checked out and get on our way. It looks like we're going to be chasing down the Princess again."
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:11 pm

donpaulie wrote:OOC: Sorry for not posting sooner!

IC: Liam will assist in retreaving the black box and getting the recordings played. @ Tanar "Boss, I want to get some short and long range sensor scans. Maybe we can get a beat on them." Liam also takes a look around the ship when he is able to. To Liam, does it look like she went peacefully or did she put up a fight?

The ship doesn't look ransacked in particular but specifically where are you looking and for what roughly? Other then the broken glass that was tossed against the wall with enough force to break it and the small 2cm by 3 cm bit of blood and the droplets that are dry there is no direct evidence of a struggle out in the open.

Liam searches around the cockpit and turns up a plasti-paper manual and references the schematics for the location of the "black box". While Tanar is deciding whether to bypass or defeat security (actually I just remembered that one takes more time then the other so I guess you'll go for the fastest? then fall back to the slower- they produce the same result after all) Liam folds up the jump seat behind the pilots chair and pulls the deck plate. A half meter down is the black box, it cant be removed from here but there is a computer interface.

He says to Tanar, "Got a computer interface for the black box here and computer lockout measures almost never apply to these since they're a stand alone level 1 computer that just logs what happens to the ship through its flight. The problem is that you cant gain access to the ships controls from here just the logs of the flight."

OOC: Once Tanar defeats security you have control of the ships controls and the main computer's logs- the main computer has separate logs from the black box and cannot access the information in the black box. the black box simply logs navigation, engineering and piloting command as they are imputed and maintains a record against an emergency.

@ Bodger: no almond smell.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Sorry, for got to post on getting past security.

1 Put a call in to get the passwords from Clarion
2. Since that is going to take some time, try by-passing security (faster method) while we're waiting for a response.
3. If that doesn't work try defeating security (slower method) until passwords come back or we get in.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Sorry, for got to post on getting past security.

1 Put a call in to get the passwords from Clarion
2. Since that is going to take some time, try by-passing security (faster method) while we're waiting for a response.
3. If that doesn't work try defeating security (slower method) until passwords come back or we get in.

1. I'll abstract the time it takes to get the pass word by radio (didn't and dont want to calculate the exact time and position)

IC:
Tanar made the attempt to bypass security but it didn't work. After that he looks at Liam and says, "AT this range we should the pass word in one to two hours but defeating security could take anywhere from one to ten hours so lets just see what the Black Box has logged."

Reaching into the deck access he manages to interface his body comp to the black box and down load the logs.

Black Box Logs
The logs run 4 days. The current flight has been going on for 2.5 days but four days ago the The navigation logs show that someone with the log in of AEL began computing a Void jump from White Light to Prengular (heading the ship is on currently)

2.5 days ago AEL Departed Clarion STation flying by manual for 2 hours then switched to autopilot following the programed course.
After that AEL logged on to the computer station in the main cabin and check the ships status every 4-6 hours even for the first day of the flight with all alarms relayed to that station.

After 20 hours of flight a 6 second com call, "Here." was routed threw the communication board to an unregistered com (meaning a chronocom that is not registered to any person).

One minute after that the computer terminal in the main cabin was shut off and the manual hatch to the cockpit was closed. 6 hours after that someone started to reboot the main cabin terminal and begin the loggin process but never completed it.
During that time the nav section's scanners began to detect a ship maneuvering to intercept the run about. The proximity alarms began to chime but only in the cockpit.

30 minutes after the attempted log in, the log AEL log in was used in the cockpit to kill acceleration and send a one word text message, 'Secure'. Then the black box logged an order to wipe all the logs clean in the main computer memory. (its not possible to wipe the black box's logs that way).
40 minutes after that a ship docked with the air lock and 30 minutes after that a order was logged for the autopilot to resume course and speed after 10 minutes and the other ship undocked.

You have a drive signature to compare against other ships and Tanar's analysis of the course of the other ship from the runabout's radar scans suggest a course that did not point toward any significant body in the system. Though (INT check pass) the course would not be far off for a ship waiting to drop off radar to be altered for a destination in the asteroid belt.
The IFF transponder that should have identified the ship was shut off.

ooc: Tanar can busy himself with defeating security but when I checked, the time invovled would likely take longer than the radio message from Clarion. So I'll give you that access to the main computer core soon but you have time to look into other things till then.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 pm

FYI for those of you packing Proton weapons:

Found the article in Polygon magazine:

Rafflur M-2. The proton pistol is a handgun roughly the size of a laser pistol. Its damage is 2d10 per SEU, and it has a dial that can fire from 1 to 5 SEUs per shot.

so specify the seu usage per shot.

jedion/Ton
jedion357
Referee

Postby donpaulie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 am

OOC:Liam's M-2 is set for 3 SEU.

IC: Since we got the recordings from the black box, Liam is going back to the shuttle to begin som short and long distance scans looking for any possible runabout or mining ship that might be harboring a runaway princess.
donpaulie
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 am

donpaulie wrote:OOC:Liam's M-2 is set for 3 SEU.

IC: Since we got the recordings from the black box, Liam is going back to the shuttle to begin som short and long distance scans looking for any possible runabout or mining ship that might be harboring a runaway princess.

The shuttles radar has the same range as the runabout but Liam is thorough in checking; the Pelican has been running radar and energy sensors to but neither have anything on scan. Double checking the scan data from the black box Liam computes an observed accel/decel by the mystery vessel of up to 3g at different times.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Tanar made the attempt to bypass security but it didn't work.
"Well, it was worth a shot," he comments to no one in particular. "At this range we should the have the password from Clarion in an hour or two. Trying to defeat security could take anywhere from one to ten hours so we might as well wait. And hope they haven't been changed," he adds with a slight frown. "Anyway, let's see what the black box has for us while we're waiting."

After reviewing the black box logs with Liam, Tanar closes his eyes and thinks for a few moments, going over the recorded events. After a few moments, he opens his eyes and look at Liam. "Stowaway, " he says by way of opening the conversation. Flipping on his comm he calls out to the team. "I think it's possible there was a stowaway on board from sometime before departure until about 20 plus hours into the flight. Start checking all the nooks and crannies on this ship for somewhere somebody or something could have hidden. It's going to be somewhere the princess wouldn't normally go during the first day or two of a trip. We don't know whether it was biological or mechanical but I'm betting biological. They probably left traces. Let's see if we can find any."

Switching off the comm, he refocuses his attention on Liam. "There is another possibility but it doesn't quite jive with what we've found. This could all be a ruse by the princess to disappear and throw everyone off her trail. You're closer to the royals than anyone else here. Does she have any relatively close friends out in the asteroid belt?

"I don't think that is what is going on. Several points don't fit, like the call to the unregistered com, closing the cockpit door, and locking out the main cabin computer among others. And why sacrifice her ship? So I don't think that's the first line of inquiry but let's not completely rule it out. Here's what I think happened, what are your thoughts and what am I missing?

"Someone stows away on board before the princess boards to leave. The ship gets underway and the princess settles into a routine. The princess goes to sleep after a moderately long first day, finishing up the jump calculations and getting everything squared away. The stowaway exits their hidey-hole and sends the "here" comm to someone. That's the signal indicating that they stowaway is in place and ready and for the getaway ship to start closing in. It's probably been following out of sensor range for most of the trip. If we had an acknowledgement message we'd have a feel for the distance to the receiver but oh well.

"The stowaway enters the cockpit, shuts the door and shuts down the computer in the main cabin, waiting for their backup to arrive. The princess wakes up sooner than expected and notices that the main cabin computer is down and starts to reboot it and log on. Our lurker realizes this and goes to intercept her as he doesn't want her to see the ship that is now approaching and almost in range. Now why they didn't subdue here sooner I don't know. Maybe she wasn't asleep and they just slipped into the cockpit. That's a bit fuzzy. I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader to fill in the details

"Anyway. Our stowaway has a scuffle with the princess and wins. That gives us the blood and broken glass. They are now in complete control of the ship and send the "Secure" message, indicating such. They wipe the logs, the getaway ship arrives. The princess is transferred and the runabout is sent on it's merry way while they head off. Just to be safe, they take a route away from the runabout that is not toward their destination but close enough that once out of sensor range, they can easily change direction.

"Had we not gotten here before it hit jump speed, the runabout would have entered the Void and never exited. It would have vanished and taken all the evidence with it. The princess would have to be assumed lost and they could do whatever they want with her and none would be the wiser until they brought her back to public awareness for their own purposes.

"Their biggest mistake," Tanar adds, "is probably right here," he says as the taps the log display for the command to erase the main logs, "where they erase the logs. They didn't issue any commands to stop logging and they erased and reset the logs more than half an hour before the getaway ship arrived. They should have had that command set up on a one hour delay after they left to allow themselves enough time to get out of range before everything was wiped. As it is, we'll have full coverage of the arrival, transfer and departure so we should at least be able to get an ID on the ship, even if we don't have any internal cameras to see the participants (OOC: are there internal cameras in the runabout?). All we have to do is get access to the computer.

"I've probably got it all wrong," he finishes. "But it makes a great story," he adds with grin. Finished with his discourse he sits back to listen to Liam's reaction and ideas.

He also opens a comm link to the Pelican. "Captain, there is a possibility we had a stowaway on board. Have the station go back through their logs, computer, audio, video, and mass if they've got them, of anyone who entered or approached the princess's ship in the last five days. Have them specially look for anyone that entered but was never seen to exit the ship. Regardless, they need put people to work getting in face-to-face contact with anyone that entered the ship whether they appeared to exit or not. Let's see if anyone is missing. Tanar, out."
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Inigo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm

“Tanar, your theory sounds pretty solid. If that is the case, we will be looking for a traitor who is close to the Princess. Who else would have known about her private holiday? Have we authenticated her message about leaving?” Savrax begins looking for any clues of a stow away. It seems that somebody staying hidden that long would have had biological needs. He starts by looking for a large enough hiding spot. Next he searches through any and all items left from the normal course of sentient activity. (food, trash/discarded items, the like)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby geekmeter11 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:47 pm

IC: "Does the Princess have a boyfriend she might want to elope with? You know, some 'undesireable' type that the Queen wouldn't like."

OOC: What does Bodger's basic knowledge tell him about the dust.
geekmeter11
Frontiersman

Postby jedion357 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:45 pm

IC:
Savrax begins searching the main cabin and discovers something right away when he checks the trash and finds two gourmet version of starliner food trays. They are both breakfasts, one is nearly completely eaten and the other is just picked over as well as 2 sets of disposable utensils and a coffee cup. Also in the trash is six empty white salted cracker wrappers and a squeeze box of carbonated ginger juice, the casing of a stun grenade (expended and has prints), and one pill that looks like it has a mar on it that could have come from a shoe tread. Checking the stasis frig Savrax finds that two breakfast meals are missing.

At the entertainment station and couch Savrax turns up a bottle of imitation terran whiskey (half full). That is all that he finds in the main cabin.

Bodger considers the rock dust, he's certain that it came form someone who's been around the mining trade. Its typical of the accumulated dust found in ore processing labs and mining ships, he's certain that there is iron (no real surprise) and likely other elements as this type of dust builds up in ships and ore processing labs and on clothing.

Bodger is not native to Clarion so he's not so up on the ins and outs of the aristocracy but he remembers from his recent job at the Glacier Bay Resort that the princess was dating Lord Baylor Von Wittin, who was not well liked by the hotel staff. Lord Wittin was practically braggart about being the princess's boyfriend. He also remembers that Lord Wittin was found cowering in a closet after the abduction attempt on the princess (Palace Security has stated with 80% certainty that they believe that the GOC at Glacier Bay had abduction as a primary objective) and a lot of hotel staff took immense pleasure in snickering behind his back because of that. Bodger, himself never met him personally.
jedion357
Referee

Postby MOrab46019 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 am

Savrax begins searching the main cabin and discovers something right away when he checks the trash and finds two gourmet version of starliner food trays. They are both breakfasts, one is nearly completely eaten and the other is just picked over as well as 2 sets of disposable utensils and a coffee cup. Also in the trash is six empty white salted cracker wrappers and a squeeze box of carbonated ginger juice, the casing of a stun grenade (expended and has prints), and one pill that looks like it has a mar on it that could have come from a shoe tread. Checking the stasis frig Savrax finds that two breakfast meals are missing.

At the entertainment station and couch Savrax turns up a bottle of imitation terran whiskey (half full). That is all that he finds in the main cabin.

IC:Ally says,"Sarvrax do you want me to bag those itmes just to make sure we don't lose any DNA and prints. Maybe we can get a run down on who was here."
MOrab46019
Scout

Postby donpaulie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 am

IC: "Sir, besides Lady Penelope, who is at home still recovering, there is Lord vonWitten. VonWiten is about as close to a "boyfriend" as you can get. You guys met him at the resort. Knows hidey holes like nobody's business, I hear. Maybe they set it up and took off for some peace....or....there is a mole in the palace guard and one of out terrorist friends operating inside the palace somehow got into the runabout or got someone else in... Just a thought, Sir".
donpaulie
Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to Against the Night- Warriors of White Light