Orbital Radius: 4.66 AU
Type: Rock
Circumference: 2 X 10 to the 4th
Density: 1.4
Gravity: .5 G
Escape Velocity: 5.5 KPS
Day: 86.5 std. hours
Year: 3176.2 std. days

GM notes: This information was derived using canonical material and the star system generation tables from Space Master rpg. Any gross errors in astro science are my fault.

Would anyone have a scan of the system diagram form Warriors of White Light module?
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Re: Astrographic Readout: White Light system

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Are the orbital distances canon or from the system generator? For that type of star, at a distance of 0.6 AU, Clarion would be a very hot planet. That is like putting the Earth at a distance of 0.5 AU from the Sun. The amount of radiation received would be about 4x higher than what the Earth receives in it's present position.

Also I'm assuming you made a typo on the stellar radius and it is supposed to be 1.33 Sol not .33 Sol. There is a direct relation between mass and size - i.e. the more massive the star, the bigger it is.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Actually I looked at the system diagram in the original module and guess-timated the distance from the star based on the rough scale in 100 of millions of km. then did the math to compute in AU (1AU=150million km IIRC) its a method related to what my father describes as "measuring it with a micrometer, marking it with a crayon and cutting it with an axe." i.e. close enough for government work.
Then I used Iron Crowns Space Master rules which is an interesting fusion of "what the heck is this a math formula" and dice rolling to generate a star system. Space Master is great for those who don't know any better, ([b]and I really don't[/b]) as it produces lots of details that give it an air of reality. It would not surprise me to find that that 'air of reality' is really a puff of smoke being blown up a my arse.

I'd be really appreciative for help tuning this up especially since the explanations in Space Master for reading the Hertzprung-Russel Diagram is as clear as mud. Real clear.

Back to issues of Clarion of Clarion being hot- it is suppose to be and have rain 90% (the rain 90% doesn't seem accurate to me but then weather is something I can comment on intelligently) I suspect a weather system for the planet that's closer to monsoon season of south east asia is more reasonable- everyday there's sunshine till the rainy season hits when one sunny day the rain starts and doesn't stop till the season is over.

I was also under the impression that the name Gollywog was related to the amount of rain and water as well- maybe something to do with being soggy.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Will » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:42 pm

jedion357 wrote:White Light system
Sector: Frontier

Stellar Data:
F7 V
Brightness: 1.3 sol
Radius: .33 sol
Mass: 1.3 sol
G-Well: 1.23 AU
# of satellites: 4
Planets in Exosphere: 1
Eccentricities: WL 5
System Resources: Average

Planetary Data:

WL1 Shrill
Orbital Radius: .4AU
Circumference: 2.95 X 10 to the 4th
Density: .5
Gravity: .75G
Escape Velocity: 8.25 KPS
Day: 25.5 std. hours
Year: 79.9 std. days

WL2 Clarion
Orbital Radius: .6AU
Circumference: ? X 10 to the 4th
Density: .7
Gravity: 1G
Escape Velocity: 11 KPS
Day: 50 std. hours
Year: 146.7 std. days
Atmosphere: Oxygen/nitrogen with significant ozone component
Hydrosphere: Water vapor is major component of atmosphere
Climate: Warm to hot
Biosphere: Proto-organisms and plant life

WL3 Trumpet
Orbital Radius: 1.2 AU
Type: Gas giant
Circumference: 7 X 10 to the 5th
Density: 2.6
Gravity: 15 G
Escape Velocity: 165 KPS
Day: 1455 std. hours
Year: 478.5 std. days

WL4 The Planaron Belt
Orbital Radius: 2 AU
Year: 893 std. days

WL5 Wandren
Orbital Radius: 4.66 AU
Circumference: 2 X 10 to the 4th
Density: 1.4
Gravity: .5 G
Escape Velocity: 5.5 KPS
Day: 86.5 std. hours
Year: 3176.2 std. days

GM notes: This information was derived using canonical material and the star system generation tables from Space Master rpg. Any gross errors in astro science are my fault.

The statistic labeled G-Well (gravity well) is the closest distance to the system's stellar body that ship may make a Void Jump.

Would anyone have a scan of the system diagram form Warriors of White Light module?

In the SFKH:0 module, White Light's a red-orange star. If you use that instead of the Zeb's info, your distance data would make more sense.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 pm

jedion357 wrote:Actually I looked at the system diagram in the original module and guess-timated the distance from the star based on the rough scale in 100 of millions of km. then did the math to compute in AU (1AU=150million km IIRC) its a method related to what my father describes as "measuring it with a micrometer, marking it with a crayon and cutting it with an axe." i.e. close enough for government work.
Then I used Iron Crowns Space Master rules which is an interesting fusion of "what the heck is this a math formula" and dice rolling to generate a star system. Space Master is great for those who don't know any better, ([b]and I really don't[/b]) as it produces lots of details that give it an air of reality. It would not surprise me to find that that 'air of reality' is really a puff of smoke being blown up a my arse.

I'd be really appreciative for help tuning this up especially since the explanations in Space Master for reading the Hertzprung-Russel Diagram is as clear as mud. Real clear.

Back to issues of Clarion of Clarion being hot- it is suppose to be and have rain 90% (the rain 90% doesn't seem accurate to me but then weather is something I can comment on intelligently) I suspect a weather system for the planet that's closer to monsoon season of south east asia is more reasonable- everyday there's sunshine till the rainy season hits when one sunny day the rain starts and doesn't stop till the season is over.

I was also under the impression that the name Gollywog was related to the amount of rain and water as well- maybe something to do with being soggy.

My impression was that Gollywog stood for the fct that the planet was basically primordial .

If you can get access to it, GDW's Traveller: Book 6 Scouts has a planetary creation systyem just as detailled as (yech!) Space Master, but simpler to understand.

Alternatively, GURPS Space 3d edition has an excellent planetary creation system.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Are the orbital distances canon or from the system generator? For that type of star, at a distance of 0.6 AU, Clarion would be a very hot planet. That is like putting the Earth at a distance of 0.5 AU from the Sun. The amount of radiation received would be about 4x higher than what the Earth receives in it's present position.

Also I'm assuming you made a typo on the stellar radius and it is supposed to be 1.33 Sol not .33 Sol. There is a direct relation between mass and size - i.e. the more massive the star, the bigger it is.

But, as I've said, if he uses the star color from the module, 0.6 AU should make Clarion more or less Earthlike.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Will wrote:
But, as I've said, if he uses the star color from the module, 0.6 AU should make Clarion more or less Earthlike.

Hah- I had both Zebs and the module out but I didn't fact check one against the other!

I've been meaning to pick up Gurps rules for a while.

I'll take another look at the damn Hertzprung Russel diagram and plug in the new color; it will also mean recomputing the number of days in a year for each orbit as well if I'm not mistaken.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Yep. I'd go with a early to middle M star say M0 to M4, something in the range of .5-.7 solar masses, if I remember correctly off the top of my head. You should shoot for that mass range and pick the spectral type that matches. I think everything but Zeb's guide points toward this type of star.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:35 am

Terl Obar wrote:Yep. I'd go with a early to middle M star say M0 to M4, something in the range of .5-.7 solar masses, if I remember correctly off the top of my head. You should shoot for that mass range and pick the spectral type that matches. I think everything but Zeb's guide points toward this type of star.

It does, which is another reason I don't use too much of ZEB's.

@Jedi: The 3e version of GURPS Space is an excellent resource for any science-fiction campaign, not just ones run with GURPS.

The 4th edition, on the other hand....
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Return to Background