House Rules

Moderator: jedion357

House Rules

Postby jedion357 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:18 pm

To sum up the House rules on Character Generation:
The House rules for character generation (though this info in in the characters area)

We're using Bill Logan's "A Skilled Frontier" article from SFM #9 with some changes:
1. System Vehicle and Space Vehicles skills are merged into one skill. Each level of skill qualifies a pilot for progressively bigger ships: level 1 can pilot fighters, level 2 can pilot HS 3 and smaller, level 3 can pilot HS 6 and smaller, level 4 can pilot HS 12 and smaller, level 5 can pilot HS 15 and smaller, level can pilot all ships. Additionally, each level of skill may pilot system ships of a size allowed for the next higher skill level (a level 2 pilot could fly system ships of HS 6 or smaller) and they may fly star ships of the next skill level up except for combat or difficult docking maneuvers (station docking).
2. Sciences PSA is split into Physical Sciences PSA and Life Sciences PSA. The reason being is that the ship's doctor should not be apt to cross train as the ships astrogator or engineer. Life Sciences PSA has the skills: Medic, Physcho-social, Bio-sciences (all rolls dealing with biology, botany, zoology and such that do not fall under medic skill), and others may be possible (vet medicine). Physical Sciences PSA has the skills: Environment (rolls dealing with terrestrial land, air and water sciences), Astro-sciences (rolls dealing with astrogation, astronomy, and sub space physics), Star Ship Engineering, and others are possible.

We'll be using the article "Spacer Skills Revisited" from SFM #10 with a few changes as well,
1. Air Vehicles skill is substituted for Technician skill for star pilots.

Combat and combat resolution:

Strictly adhering to the AD combat system is not the most practical for games in this format so, while the house rules for combat are essentially AD they will be modified to suit the needs of this style of play

Dice rolling in game: GM uses a random number generation application on his computer and will announce the result : (46%) or describe the results: "You notice someone fallowing you"

Space ship Combat:

In general KHs rules will apply but the GM has ideas stolen from other rules systems that he may apply to specific encounters that will better suit this style of gaming. Also ideas from The Star Frontiersman Fanzine may be used as well.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Re: House Rules

Postby jedion357 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Carrying 50 Grenades -quite possible under the original rules

my house rule is each grenade or std clip not in a weapon weighs .1kg
its a nominal weight but prevents abuses.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:52 am

Non-linear Ability Advancement

not to rehash the argument against every PC having 100s for all ability scores - ability advancement after PC generation (the horse is out of the barn on that already as several have made their characters and we don't need the headache of re-working characters to comply with a new ruling at this point) so make the most of the PC generation!

After PC generation-
Ability scores between 1-60 can be increased by 1 point for 1 exp.
Ability scores between 61-75 can be increased by 1 point for 2 exp.
Ability scores between 76-90 can be increased by 1 point for 3 exp.
Ability scores between 91-100 can be increased by 1 point for 4 exp.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm

ASTROGATION: COMPUTING VOID JUMPS

since this game takes place 100 years in the future of the classic game setting the state of the art in astrogation is 1hour/ light year to compute a void jump if you have the state of the art astro computer support- many independent ships and small freight lines have 20- 50 years out of date astro packages in their computers and it takes them 5 to 2 hours per light year.
jedion357
Referee

Return to General Discussion