Basic Game Information and Signup

Announcements, General Discussions and Pre-game character sign-up

Moderator: Terl Obar

Basic Game Information and Signup

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Welcome to the A Pale Beginning game. To play in this game you will need to be a registered member on this forum and have wiki editing access for the wiki on this site to update your character sheet. If you're not already registered on the site hit the Register button in the sidebar and get signed up. The registration allows you access to both the forums and the wiki (although you actally have to log in to the wiki separately).

To enable wiki editing you can follow the instructions here: Instructions for Gaining Wiki Access. This page also has instructions for linking between the forums and wiki and using the wiki markup tag.

Once you're signed up visit the A Pale Beginning wiki page for all the background information and character generation instructions. This page will be used to provide background information as well as list the characters, NPCs, and new equipment introduced in the campaign.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to post here or send me a private message.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Re: Basic Game Information and Signup

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Do we start with a standard equipment pack or do we deduct that from the 1000 starting money?

Is the Skilled Frontier hosted anywhere else besides the Star Frontiersman? I am unable to download anything from the current host of SFman these days.

{EDIT} Never mind, I found it in the wiki section of this game.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Okay here's what I have so far (standard equipment pack cost pending):

http://starfrontiers.info/wiki/index.php/Character

I couldn't find a way to edit the "Character" title...

Here's the php forum post with the pic:

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=784&p=4002#p4002
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm

@Shadow: Go ahead and give yourself a standard equipment pack.

We've got five players so we'll start to get things rolling. I think we have one or two more caracters coming and we'll add them in as we go along. I'm loving the PC backgrounds.

I've got a few more background posts to do that characters can react to as the last few characters show up and I figure out how to bring all the PC's together. Character reactions to these posts and actions taken can have an impact on what happens later. Each of the background posts are spaced about 1 day apart so limit reactions to what your character would do over the next day/night so you don't have to double back and change things as new information becomes available.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby corkman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm

I would like into this game please
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 pm

@corkman. No problem. Get a character created using the rules on the wiki page linked at the top of the thread and start posting.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:40 pm

One more Q - I noticed in the wiki "secondary PSA" is listed twice rather than "secondary" and "tertiary". I went with the 3/4/8 model as listed in SFMan but am now wondering if I was supposed to go with a 3/4/4 model instead for skill selection.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:23 pm

You delcare one primary skill area and two secondary skill areas for your character. All others are tertiary. Then you get three starting skills: one has to be from the primary skill area, one has to be from the primary or secondary areas, and the third can be from anywhere, including your primary or secondary areas but it's a chance to get a tertiary skill for free that would normally cost 8xp.

Skills from your primary PSA advance at the 3, 6, 9, etc rate. Those from your two secondary PSAs advance at the 4, 8, 12, etc rate. All other skills advance at the 8, 16, 24, etc rate

So looking at your character sheet, Agent should be a Secondary PSA. Any skills you took there and paid for on the 8, 16, 24 scale you could reclaim the extra XP and spend them elsewhere. If I'm calculating correctly, I'd say you have only spent 40 (or 41 XP if you took stealth as part of agent and not military and I'm willing to allow that skill under the military PSA) you you actually have 15 unspent XP.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. I need to reallocate those 15 XP accordingly.

{EDIT} Okay I bumped thievery up to lv-3, it fits his description better. ;)
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby corkman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Please have a little patience with me, I've been busy with work and not a lot of spare time to get the character done.
corkman
Ranger

Postby corkman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm having a really hard time getting into entering a PC for the game. IDK what's going on but, I'm close to not doing it at all. No offense, my own fault I guess. IDK what has changed since the last time I tried to do this.

John
corkman
Ranger

Postby asmzero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Hey John,

Tom may be out of the picture for a bit, not sure. I'd be happy to help you get through it if you want. We could walk through character creation over google talk or something similar. Just let me know.

All the best,
Andrew
Coiling into the meat chamber, one by one and one after another, they feasted for days.
asmzero
Frontiersman

Postby Fragz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:20 pm

John, I'd be glad to help out as well, feel free to PM or we can talk it through right here if you wish.
Fragz
Frontiersman

Postby corkman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 pm

I love me an old school SF game and would hate to pass it up. I accept any help. It seems like I need it just for trying to post here.
corkman
Ranger

Postby corkman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:26 pm

It's really not a problem of actually creating the character just dealing with this site and posting. I'm doing something wrong apparently.
corkman
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Yeah, what specific problems are you having. If it's posting on the wiki, it may be that you're not set up yet to edit the wiki which I can fix really fast. If it is a problem with the forums, let me know and I'll look into it.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby corkman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:14 am

Terl Obar wrote:Yeah, what specific problems are you having. If it's posting on the wiki, it may be that you're not set up yet to edit the wiki which I can fix really fast. If it is a problem with the forums, let me know and I'll look into it.

I think it's the Wiki thing to edit.
corkman
Ranger

Postby Fragz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:58 am

Corkman,

After you have logged into the forums:
on the lefthand sidebar select the User Control Panel link, it is at the bottom of the sidebar.
In the User Control Panel, click on the Usergroups tab.
Select the radio button by the Wiki group
Select Join selected in the drop down box at the bottom (It's the default option, so you shouldn't actually have to do anything)
Click on the 'Submit' button next to the drop-down box.
Fragz
Frontiersman

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Well, corkman has permissions to edit the wiki (and has since Dec 2012) so that isn't the issue. Another thing is that you have to log into the wiki separately from the forums. It uses the same password and username but you do have to log in again. That may be part of the problem as well.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Well, corkman has permissions to edit the wiki (and has since Dec 2012) so that isn't the issue. Another thing is that you have to log into the wiki separately from the forums. It uses the same password and username but you do have to log in again. That may be part of the problem as well.

That's probably the culprit. I remember for my first game here that threw me off as well.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Next

Return to General Discussion