Mission 1: Mid-action After Action Report

Announcements, General Discussions and Pre-game character sign-up

Moderator: Terl Obar

Mission 1: Mid-action After Action Report

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 am

It's in a situation like the one we are currently in that reminds me that it has been almost 20 years since my stint in the US Army (MOS 11B, 2/14th Infantry, 10th Mountain Div - 1988-1991). At least I can still remember the After Action Report tool that we employed to learn from our mistakes and successes. It's still a little early for that, so here is Malcom's Mid-action After Action Report for Mission 1.

From my perspective, we made the classic blunder of not utilizing the resources available to their best extent. Primarily, the camp plans and aerial photos. As my tagline says, I have way too much time on my hands, so I've been reviewing these resources and came up with a plan that is at least better then the one we've been using. I hope we can live to learn from this. ;)

Error 1: Eyes. Using the Astrogation gear was a good first step, but we needed eyes on target longer and closer. The Aerial photos show high ground with concealed approaches to the west. If we had switched the Explorer out for an Aircar, we could have inserted a scout team about 1 click from the base (see modified photo). I would suggest this team to have been Sebastian (for Chatter-box and his nap-of-New-Pale flying skills), Leo, Gren, and a combat 'bot.

Error 2: Fire Support. Gren had a great idea in requesting a recoilless rifle. We should have got a second one for the combat bot going with the scouts. The scout position then becomes a fire support position as well, opening fire just before the insertion team lands. Also, depending on how bot computer links work, Leo might be able to use the combat 'droid's link to break into the base computer.

Error 3: Insertion. Mal requested only two para-wings, but should have requested one per team member. And at least three holo-screens programmed to camouflage in New Pale's sky. Mal, B'Looone, and 'Ting could then HALO (high altitude, low open) or HAHO (high altitude, high opening) jump from the Dart with Building A's roof as the landing zone. Each jumper should be equipped with an assortment of the tangler, smoke, and stun grenades that B'Looone requested. They use tanglers and smoke on the roof (and the spider bot that was there) just before (or after - Ref's decision) landing, continuing until the bot is immobilized. 'Ting and Mal move to the edge of the smoke and start shouting the shutdown code phrase while preparing stun grenades. This should put every OE bot in sight out of action. Meanwhile, B'Looone blasts a hole over room 21. In go the stun grenades followed by at least 'Ting and Mal. B'Looone could stay on the roof to deal further with the spider bot. Using stun and tanglers, the insertion team will take and hold rooms 21 and 22 (computer room). Sebastian and Leo zoom in from the scout position to join those in Building A. Maria should fly in close(<1000m) to provide further support with the pod laser. Once enough of the heavy weapons are out of commission, Maria inserts the remaining 'bots.

Leo will have to file this in the Dart's information storage program under 'Hindsight.20.20'. ;)
Attachments
After Action.jpg
Proper Planning.
After Action.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 26273 times
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Re: Mission 1: Mid-action After Action Report

Postby Bonehead » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 pm

Like most battle plans, it sounds really good on (virtual) paper. I really don't see B'Looone consenting to parachute, though. But now that you mention it, I wish I'd had the opportunity to role play that scene.

I expect that it will turn out that our attack (wether successful or not) will prove to have been the wrong decision. I don't think we did enough intelligence gathering prior to opening fire. What little we did do only reinforced what we had already assumed, so we just charged right in. Of course, it's more fun this way, but I'm expecting a really big "oops" when the dust clears.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 am

:lol: I had that feeling from the moment I decided to open fire. I'm afraid Mal let the excitement get the better of him. :oops:

Reviewing the character sheets, I see that Malcom is actually better (by one level) with explosives then B'Looone anyway. We could easily have had him and Sebastian swap positions.

There's a famous Triad proverb that goes, "It's an ill plan that cannot be changed." There's a half a dozen other actions we could (and maybe should) have taken even before entering the atmosphere, but Malcom likely wouldn't have thought of them. (They only came to me as I was visualizing a new character concept.) Anyone care to point out a few?
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 pm

No.

I just want to get this mission over with.

I think when Maria gets the Dart airborne again, she'll go low, slow, targeting the reactor.

Nothing says lovin', like a big BOOOOM! from the oven....
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:05 pm

As Sebastian was so eloquently trained in Minotaur: "Just keep firing until the last opponent falls."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 pm

:lol: Those plans work too. :D
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

More actions for the Hindsight file.

1. Calling the Red Box office / dispatcher to check on the status of their shuttles in regards to OE's operations. Possible conference call with the Morning Glory if necessary.
  2. Have an insertion team hitch a ride on a Red Box shuttle. Depends on the outcome of number 1. This is my favorite as there are several concepts that could play off of it.
  3. Calling the OE mining base prior to deorbiting. Perhaps scare them into leaving, or masquerade as harmless and hope for a safe landing.
  4. Investigate the mines, especially the collapsed one. I have a suspicion that the mining crew could be found there.
  5. Check on the location of the mining 'bots. Capture and use them to smuggle an insertion team into the base. (One person could perhaps squeeze into the ore basket).
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:21 pm

BD Cerridwen wrote:More actions for the Hindsight file.

1. Calling the Red Box office / dispatcher to check on the status of their shuttles in regards to OE's operations. Possible conference call with the Morning Glory if necessary.
  2. Have an insertion team hitch a ride on a Red Box shuttle. Depends on the outcome of number 1. This is my favorite as there are several concepts that could play off of it.
  3. Calling the OE mining base prior to deorbiting. Perhaps scare them into leaving, or masquerade as harmless and hope for a safe landing.
  4. Investigate the mines, especially the collapsed one. I have a suspicion that the mining crew could be found there.
  5. Check on the location of the mining 'bots. Capture and use them to smuggle an insertion team into the base. (One person could perhaps squeeze into the ore basket).

6. Retreat to the Sulaco and nuke the planet from orbit, just to be sure. :lol:
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 am

Will wrote:6. Retreat to the Sulaco and nuke the planet from orbit, just to be sure. :lol:

Let's file that under "Plan B" for now. :lol:
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Further combat pilot training needs to emphasize the use of atomic drives as a viable ground-support weapon, especially when the pod laser proves to be worse than fraggin' useless against albedo-screened opponents.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Maybe we can replace it with an autoloading recoiless rifle and co-axial machine gun :D ?
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 am

I should really read all of the posts better, and make notes of what's going on. While re-reading, I just discovered that cliff (who has since gone MIA) basically suggested the insertion from the hills ages ago. (Read the last paragraph). Cliff, wherever you are, sorry dude. :slap-self-on-the-forehead emoticon:
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Return to General Discussion