Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 pm

If Sebastian can get a shot, he will fire at the OES closest to the group (unless of course said group/explorer is in the line of fire). Otherwise he will train his fire on the southern OEM group (and the OES/OEM pair if they're close enough for the burst).
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:03 pm

I need more fire power, and we gotta take out that spider 'bot, thinks Malcom as he swears again in frustration at albedo screen technology. If Gren and I both target the spider, it won't know which screen to use. One of us should be able to kill it then!

"Hercules Alpha and Beta, you're with me!" shouts Malcom at the two combat droids in the explorer as he loads a fresh clip into his rifle. "Gren! Take out that spider 'bot! Everyone else, leave the OE bots alone! Wait until they are closer and B'Looone will deal with them! Keep poppin' smoke B!"
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Seeing the pirates advance towards the rest of the team, Maria shouts to the ship,"to Hells with the tower! Ship, aim us at the pirates and start frying the bastards!"

OOC: Will fire the laser pod at the nearest pirate. Pity I can't just hose them all down with this thing.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Sorry about the delay again guys, I was pulling 12 hour days at work all last week and crashing. I'll post the next round tomorrow so declare any actions if you haven't already.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am

B'Looone extricates himself from the explorer, tosses another smoke grenade to complement the previous one, readies his gyrorifle, and gives the explorer a cursory examination to see how much damage it has sustained.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:47 pm

B'Loone tosses off another smoke grenade and climbs out of the Explorer. The grenade falls short of his intended location but is to the right of the first one and increases the smoke front. At a quick glance, the damage to the explorer seems to be mainly cosmetic but another turn or two of examination will tell for sure.

After calling out orders to the two combat robots, Malcom begins running toward the SPDR bot advancing from the north end of the compound while reloading his laser rifle clip (Based on previous character actions, I assume that is what you meant by "take out that spider bot" and calling out "you're with me" to the combat bots, i.e. get closer and increase hit percentages. If not, let me know and I'll move you back :D ). He is rewarded for his trouble by being the prime focus of the pirate attack this round. Both the SPDR and OES bot's take two shots at him with their laser rifles and the tower bot with the heavy laser shoots at him as well. Luckily for Malcom, all the shots go wide.

Sebastian tries to lay down some more covering fire toward the robots advancing from the south but the extreme range is working against him and he once again misses (BTW, Sebastian has ammo for 3 more bursts left in Chatterbox).

The bot in the SE tower with the machine gun opens fire on Gren while he is reloading the recoilless rifle. The rounds connect, ripping through his skeinsuit and his body (72 points total, half to skeinsuit leaving the skeinsuit with 6 points and Gren with only 7 STA). Amazingly, he still manages to reload the rifle.

Maria slows the Dart down to 400 m/turn this turn to give herself more time on target and directs the ship's fire on the lone Yazarian on the south end of the line. Unfortunately, the shot just misses, slamming into the ground at the Yaz's feet. The two remaining towers on the west and northwest sides of the compound open fire at the Dart, luckily, slowing down caused their aim to be off and both shots miss.

Here are the positions at the end of the round (I didn't label B'Loone's position because it was getting crowded but he's right in front of the explorer checking it out):

Since it is starting to be important, I'll actually be rolling initiative for future rounds. You guys win initiative for the next round. The SPDR and OES bots will move toward Malcom, the other four bots will continue to advance towards the explorer and the pirates will sit tight. Declare your moves and targets for the next round.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:14 pm

OOC:
How long before the OE 'bots can be verbally disabled?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 pm

How far can you clearly distinguish a 4 inch patch? I'm assuming that the OEM and OES bots have vision comparable to a humans. If the Explorer wasn't on its side, it would be how far can you yell and make yourself distinctly heard since it has a big old insignia that you could clearly see from much farther away. I'll say at 50m they can see the patch so that translates into 2-3 more turns for the closer one and a turn or two more for the other four.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Terl Obar wrote:How far can you clearly distinguish a 4 inch patch? I'm assuming that the OEM and OES bots have vision comparable to a humans. If the Explorer wasn't on its side, it would be how far can you yell and make yourself distinctly heard since it has a big old insignia that you could clearly see from much farther away. I'll say at 50m they can see the patch so that translates into 2-3 more turns for the closer one and a turn or two more for the other four.

Can any of the combat or service 'bots be made to shout the message? I'm imagining B'Looone ripping the patch off of his uniform, giving it to a 'bot, and sending it towards the others while "shouting" the code phrase. Is this do-able?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:32 pm

You can always try.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:00 am

Terl Obar wrote:You can always try.

Cute.

Ok, that's what B'Looone does: he grabs the nearest 'bot (I don't remember if there are any service 'bots available or if there were only combat 'bots in the explorer), tears the OEM patch off of his uniform (or cuts it, if necessary), and attaches it to the 'bot in such a way as to make it easily visible from the front. He then programs the 'bot to head towards the nearest (enemy) OEM 'bot as fast as it can while verbally broadcasting "Kurabunda eat dung bombs" as loudly as it can. Once the "target" 'bot has deactivated itself, this 'bot is instructed to move on to the next nearest "enemy" OEM 'bot until all of them have been deactivated.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Will » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:39 pm

OOC: The code phrase is "Kurabanda dig dung bombs."

BIC: Let's try for the base of the nearest laser tower. Still flying NOE.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Will wrote:OOC: The code phrase is "Kurabanda dig dung bombs."

Shhhhh, Will. :) Maria's up in the Dart. You're stealing away a great opportunity to be a sadistic referee :evil: :D .

Bonehead wrote:Cute.

I can't give away all the secrets until you try. ;) I'll assume you gave the correct phrase which Will pointed out. I'll post the full outcome once we hear from Shadow and BD. I'm also trying to recruit some players to pick up Gren, Leo and Ting.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 am

Malcom stops moving forward in order to allow the smoke to shield him from the gang of bots on the left and the functional south towers. "Shoot the many legged robot to our front right!" he yells to the combat droids. "Maximum power setting!" Malcom steadies his laser rifle and squeezes off a shot.

OOC: If you're willing to allow it, I'll take a second character. I would lean towards taking Mal's polar opposite, Leo. Twice the fun that way. ;)
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Bonehead » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:04 am

Terl Obar wrote:
Bonehead wrote:Cute.

I can't give away all the secrets until you try. ;) I'll assume you gave the correct phrase which Will pointed out. I'll post the full outcome once we hear from Shadow and BD.

I'm not looking for any secrets, I just wanted to know if the 'bots had the hardware capabilities to make such a plan even theoretically possible. B'Looone would know, but I don't.

I don't expect that you are a sadistic GM who would do such a thing, but I was imagining how pissed off I'd be if such a plan failed because "the 'bots can't talk", or something equally stupid. I won't be upset if the plan fails, so long as it's for a "good" reason.

P.S. To my way of thinking, getting the code phrase wrong, while very annoying, would be a "good" reason for the plan to fail.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm

Yes they definitely had the hardware capabilities to pull off the attempt. It wasn't clear (probably due to me misreading the post now that I look at it again) that was what you were asking. For some reason I was thinking you were asking if it would be successful, hence my "You can try" response.

Bonehead wrote:P.S. To my way of thinking, getting the code phrase wrong, while very annoying, would be a "good" reason for the plan to fail.
It would be "good" reason to have it fail, but holding the players to that exacting level of detail, when the characters would definitely use the right phrase since it is an integral part of their plan, is "sadistic referee practice"(TM) in my book and not my style. The truth is I didn't even pick up on until Will pointed it out :) .
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:16 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Yes they definitely had the hardware capabilities to pull off the attempt. It wasn't clear (probably due to me misreading the post now that I look at it again) that was what you were asking. For some reason I was thinking you were asking if it would be successful, hence my "You can try" response.

I expected it was something like that. My post was rather clumsily worded; some days I just don't seem to be able to be clear as to what I really mean.

Ok, now I'm anxious to see how my brilliant plan will blow up in my (er, B'Looone's) face. ;)
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Will » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Terl Obar wrote:
Will wrote:OOC: The code phrase is "Kurabanda dig dung bombs."

Shhhhh, Will. :) Maria's up in the Dart. You're stealing away a great opportunity to be a sadistic referee :evil: :D .

That wasn't Maria.

That was another PC, Andy Keepsum-Pearliwhite, representing the firm of Odasharc, Hass, Purdeteef and Deere, attorneys at law, and the legal counsel for the Kurabanda Anti-Defamation League.

Our clients just wanted it made clear that they do not, have never at any time, and will never at any time in the future, eaten dung. :D
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 pm

"Blast," Sebastian thinks to himself. "This isn't working out too well."

He toggles the chronocom to raise the Dart. "Maria, if you can I'll need a dust off. The main group took a spill and I'm too far away to assist. I'll do more good inside the Dart, asssisting from a hatch. Besides, I'm running low on bullets..."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:23 pm

BD Cerridwen wrote:OOC: If you're willing to allow it, I'll take a second character. I would lean towards taking Mal's polar opposite, Leo. Twice the fun that way. ;)
I completely missed this in the interplay about the 'bots. I may have recruited a couple of more players so let's give them a few days to decided if they want to join and what character they want. After that you can pick up a second one if you want for the rest of the scenario.

Back to the story.

Chalk up a round for the good guys.

Maria slows the Dart down to it's minimum atmospheric cruising speed and plunges into the middle of the compound and angles toward the tower with the heavy laser. All four active towers shift fire to focus on the Dart but they all miss. Her radio crackles to life, with a call from one of the shuttle pilots. "Darlin', we're sitting tight like ya'll asked, we don't got no stake in whatever this here squabble is, point that laser cutter somewhere else." Ignoring the chatter from the shuttle, she directs the Dart to fire at the base of the tower. The shot connects ripping out a sizeable chunk of the tower structure.

Despite his wounds, Gren lines up his rifle one last time and fires at the tower bot with the heavy laser as the smoke cloud blocks his view of the SPDR bot. Just as Maria looks up from the damage caused by the Dart's weapon, she sees a shell come arcing in over her wing and to her disbelief, it connects squarely with the head of the bot in the tower and explodes, taking parts of the bot's body with it in all directions. (Gren rolled an 01 for his shot at the bot, finishing it off).

Sebastian opens up on the southernmost pair of bots and also connects with Chatterbox doing considerable damage to both of them. Malcom and the one combat bot with him (see below) both open fire on the SPDR bot advancing toward them. Both connect with maximum power hits that both light up it's albedo screen seriously depleting it's energy reserves but not penetrating. The SPDR fires back at Malcom but both shots miss. The smoke grenades screen the players from the other bots.

B'Loone calls out to one of the combat bots and his voice print overrides Malcom's command causing the bot to change direction and approach B'Loone. While the bot is moving closer, B'Loone rips the patch off his skeinsuit and pulls out some ion bonding tape. Using the tape, the affixes it to the center of the bot's chest and gives it the following orders: "Move toward the nearest Obar Enterprises bot at maximum speed verbally broadcasting "Kurabanda dig dung bombs" at maximum volume until the 'bot is deactivated, then move to the next closest Obar Enterprises bot while still broadcasting, repeat until all Obar Enterprises bots are disabled. At which point, stop broadcasting and return to me." (If B'Loone wants to tweak that in any way let me know. The bot will head out next turn.) Since B'Loone had affixed the patch to the 'bot before giving the instructions, it acknowledges the order and sets off instead of deactivating when the phrase was spoken since B'Loone was not bearing a OE emblem.

Ting and Leo ready their weapons for the bots to come through the smoke screen.

Here are the positions at the end of the turn. The PC's have initiative for the next round.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure