Mission 1b: Entering the Compound

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Mission 1b: Entering the Compound

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:44 pm

This is the second half of Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Malcom, Ting, Leo and the six security and combat robots are at the edge of the compound. The fence is down and you can easily climb over and enter. B'Loone, Gren and the 5 liberated robots are 180m from the compound. Sebastian is about 600 meters from the compound. all of you are on a line about half way between the northern and middle downed towers on the east side of the compound.

Maria is overhead in the Dart (although if you want to land, you would be in the process of touching down in just a few more turns anywhere on the landing pad you want to be.)

The shuttles are sitting still on the landing pad and you haven't see any movement from the buildings during the last minute.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Re: Mission 1b: Entering the Compound

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Malcom puts on the Magni-goggles that he had borrowed from Leo. He scans the compound checking rooftops, doors, windows, and vents for any sign of the enemy. He notes which, if any, doors, windows, or vents are left open. He checks the ground near corners for shadows. Once his scan is complete, he will finalize his plans with Ting and Leo.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 am

"Ship," Maria says(assuming her attack on the buildings failed),"target the nearest shuttle and fire!"
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Inigo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Leo glances around nervously as he sinks to one knee, clutching tightly to his auto pistol and muttering something about plans and total screw ups. "Well, at least we have made it this far" he says softly. "I assume we are going to wait for the others before we move ahead?" Here he pauses for just a second before continuing, "well, maybe not Maria, But for Gren, Sebastian and B'Loone?" He tentatively looks up to see if Maria is actually going to destroy the buildings that the pirates are sheltering in.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:48 pm

"Nope," says Malcom curtly to Leo's question. "Gotta keep the pressure on."

"Hercules Alpha and Beta," says Malcom to the combat 'droids as he scans the base, "activate your IR imaging systems and report any possible biologicals. All robots, the biologicals in the shuttles are to be considered friendly. Do not engage unless attacked first, and then use Restrain protocols. Vocalize any sightings of possible enemies. Respond."

Each robot talks over the other in disjointed audio timing, but each basically confirming the directions given them.

"Ting, Leo, when we go, we'll advance in fire teams, move and support, 15 meter rushes. Leo, you'll stay with me, Hercules Alpha, and Cerebus Delta, we'll be Bravo Team. Ting, you take Hercules Beta, and Cerebus Alpha, Beta, and Gamma as Charlie Team. Stay spread out, 5 meter intervals. I expect automatic weapons and grenades before we get to the buildings. Primary targets are the power house and the control room. Clear?"

OOC: Welcome aboard Inigo. BTW, I have only five fingers on my right hand. See? ;)
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Inigo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 am

Leo moans softly, “Oh shit” as he fumbles to make sure his defensive screen is turned on. He then speaks into his chronocom, “Alpha team to Balloon (B’loone). You read me? This is Leo. Yeah…I’m about to die here so I thought I’d just let you know that you can have dibs on my Dral heavy metal collection. Take care, bud. Leo, out.” He signs off as though he is choking up with grief. He gets serious again and jerks his thumb up in the air and asks, “Does Psycho Chic realize that this gig was billed as a RESCUE MISSION? We have to assume that there is at least SOME possibility that the original mine crew could be held inside those buildings that she is trying to vaporize. Not to mention that our boss may be a little pissed when he gets the bills for damages.”

OOC:Thanks. Good to know (counts his fingers to be sure). Just to help give you guys an idea about interpreting Leo; My idea of him is heavily influenced by Jack Black and some of his characters.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Malcom laughs. "I highly doubt it. Feel free to educate her, I'm afraid that I'm no longer one her her favorites."
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:08 pm

OOC: Howdy, Montoya, welcome to the game. Maria bites, but I don't.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Inigo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Leo looks uncomfortable and hesitant for a moment, as though he were considering trying to talk sense to Maria or not. He shuffles a bit as he is kneeling and takes a deep breath and nods to Malcom as if to say that he was ready.

OOC: Thanks Will. Happy to be here.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby Will » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:53 pm

OOC: You're welcome. Happy to have you.

IC: Whether or not the attacks against the shuttles and the buildings succeed, Maria will land the Dart in the center of the compound. She re-enables external comms at this time.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:06 am

Sebastian curses at the misfortune of having to make a one kilo trek. Even though he's not in range for it, he will unsling the auto rifle. Can't go in just holding my pocket tool... :oops:
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:10 pm

"Commands acknowledged," the 'bots respond to Malcom's orders. After a few seconds they all report no hostile targets visible.

Frustrated at the last two pirates getting away from her, Maria fires a shot at the building but it doesn't really do anything. Deciding it's time to get on the ground, she initiates landing procedures and aims to land in the middle of the landing pad.

From where you stand on the edge of the compound it is about 110-120 meters across the landing pad to the buildings. On the left (southern) building, which you remember from your pre-mission briefing is the cargo warehouse, are three sets of large double doors, the middle of which are open and you can see the interior of the warehouse containing cargo shipping containers. The view of this building is partially obstructed by the two landed shuttles.

The right (northern) building has four sets of doors all of which are closed. This building contains the ore processing facility, garage and tech and robotic shops. It also appears to still be operating as there is steam and smoke coming out of the various pipes on the roof. In fact, as you are surveying the compound, the main gates to the north open and one of the large heavy duty Mining robots enters the compound and goes into the nothernmost door on the north building. As the doors open to admit the 'bot you get a glimpse of industrial machinery at work.

From your vantage point you can also see down the space between the two building and see the corner of the main admin building as well as the door on the NW corner of the warehouse.

Below is the compound map. The squares on the preview map are 10m, the ones on the full map are 5. The green symbols are the two shuttles and the big blue one is the Dart were Maria is about to land in 30 seconds. They are drawn to scale with the map. The position of Malcom, Ting, Leo and the bots is represented by the human counter on the left edge of the map.

B'Loone, Gren and the reclaimed 'bots are now 140m (and huffing it as fast as B'Loone's Dral legs can carry him) from the compound and Sebastian is 540m out. Here is the new map. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Elapsed Time: 52 turns from initial shots fired.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Keep trekking toward the compound. :|
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Frustrated at the last two pirates getting away from her, Maria fires a shot at the building but it doesn't really do anything. Deciding it's time to get on the ground, she initiates landing procedures and aims to land in the middle of the landing pad.

From where you stand on the edge of the compound it is about 110-120 meters across the landing pad to the buildings. On the left (southern) building, which you remember from your pre-mission briefing is the cargo warehouse, are three sets of large double doors, the middle of which are open and you can see the interior of the warehouse containing cargo shipping containers. The view of this building is partially obstructed by the two landed shuttles.

The right (northern) building has four sets of doors all of which are closed. This building contains the ore processing facility, garage and tech and robotic shops. It also appears to still be operating as there is steam and smoke coming out of the various pipes on the roof. In fact, as you are surveying the compound, the main gates to the north open and one of the large heavy duty Mining robots enters the compound and goes into the nothernmost door on the north building. As the doors open to admit the 'bot you get a glimpse of industrial machinery at work.

From your vantage point you can also see down the space between the two building and see the corner of the main admin building as well as the door on the NW corner of the warehouse.

Now that she's cooled down, Maria will comm the rest of the team and let them know what she sees.

After which, she will descend to the cargo bay, and join the rest of the team once they're close enough for her to join. She will have her gyrojet rifle in hand, and an open channel to the Dart's computer, so she can call down fire from the ship if need be(or even if it's possible).
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Inigo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:56 am

As Leo kneels beside Malcom, he glances around the compound and appears a bit gittery. “So…umm…What’s the plan other than just running out there? That Yaz went into the processing plant and the other two went into the warehouse. They said that there are a couple of explorers, a jetcopter and an air car here. I wonder which of the two buildings they are in and which pirates are smart enough to make there escape”. Muttered as an aside, “ I don’t want to be run down by an explorer half way across the landing pad”.

Leo squeezes his eyes tightly shut and says, “ok, ok, ok.” It is unclear if this is to focus his thoughts or dislodge the mental image of him being squished by a large vehicle. “Potential dangers or issues….Pirates escape in one or more vehicles... Pirates escape in one or more vehicles AFTER they sabotage the nuclear reactor…” He glances up at Malcom and asks, “Am I missing anything?”

A look of surprise comes over Leo and he hurriedly puts his auto-pistol down and slings his pack off of his back and rummages through it, pulling out the radio phone he was carrying. Flipping it on he begins transmitting, “OE mining staff, this is OE Troubleshooting Team. Do you copy?” As he waits for a reply, he mentions to Malcom that it may be a good idea to inform the authorities that a freighter in orbit is being loaded with stolen materials with the aid of a couple of Redbox shuttles. Though it is likely that Redbox is unaware of the true situation.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 am

Leo wrote:As he waits for a reply, he mentions to Malcom that it may be a good idea to inform the authorities that a freighter in orbit is being loaded with stolen materials with the aid of a couple of Redbox shuttles. Though it is likely that Redbox is unaware of the true situation.

Mal pulls the magnigoggles off, shoving them into a pocket. He let's his IR goggles dangle around his neck. Noting Leo's nervousness, yet also feeling pressed for time, Mal is perhaps unintentionally short with Leo. "Yeah, you stay here an' do that. Ting! take your team along the north edge of the pad, give the Dart a safe pass. I'll take mine to the left. We'll meet at the garage. Move forward at a jog until you spot a bad guy or receive fire. If either occurs, drop prone and return fire, then we'll switch to a move an' support advance. Let's go!"

Mal takes his 'bots left using the Red Box boats as cover but keeping an eye on the open warehouse door. He sprints his team into position on the left as the Dart lands, using it for cover, and spreads his team out so a single grenade or machine gun burst can't get them all. The combat 'bot is on his right, the security 'bot on his left. If Leo tags along, he is directed to the far left. Malcom continually scans the target area, watching rooflines, corners, and openings - especially the open warehouse door.

OOC: I still need the robots to report their SEU availability. If we need to wait for Maria to land before safely moving out, we do so.
Attachments
mining_compound - assault plan.png
'Ting's team is blue, Mal's is magenta
mining_compound - assault plan.png (286.67 KiB) Viewed 56483 times
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby BD Cerridwen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am

OOC: This occurs in sequence prior to my post above. It's only after I posted that I realized I could and should have addressed more of Leo's questions. :D

BIC:

Leo wrote:What’s the plan other than just running out there?

"Whaddya mean? That is the plan." Malcom smiles with mock bravado.

Leo wrote:Leo squeezes his eyes tightly shut and says, “ok, ok, ok.” It is unclear if this is to focus his thoughts or dislodge the mental image of him being squished by a large vehicle. “Potential dangers or issues….Pirates escape in one or more vehicles... Pirates escape in one or more vehicles AFTER they sabotage the nuclear reactor…” He glances up at Malcom and asks, “Am I missing anything?”

"The shuttles deciding to boost as we walk by, IEDs, the arrival of reinforcements - do you really want me to go on?"
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Inigo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:16 am

Leo silently shakes his head “no” when Malcom finishes his list of things he missed. He sits on his knees listening to Mal’s final instructions, his mouth slightly agape. It’s not until Mal moves to leave that Leo snaps too and quickly stuffs the radio phone back into his pack, slings it over his shoulder and snatches up his auto pistol and scuttles after Mal and the bots. As he hurries across the downed fence, his foot snags on the outer edge and he falls heavily to the tarmac with an “Ooof!” As his body begins to fall, he instinctively tightens his grip, thus the he jarring from hitting the ground causes him to squeeze off a quick burst from his auto pistol. As he clambers back to his feet, he is heard sucking wind and gasping out, “I’m ok….I’m good” as if to reassure himself as he hustles to keep up.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Will wrote:Now that she's cooled down, Maria will comm the rest of the team and let them know what she sees.

"Oh, NOWww you've got the 'comm on. Musta missed my little call for a ride. Y'all be sure to save a few baddies for me, I'll see ya in an hour." ;)
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Leo wrote:“OE mining staff, this is OE Troubleshooting Team. Do you copy?”

Much to Leo's surprise, he gets a garbled response. "Roger<static>ooting te<static>Authent<static>Whisk<static><static>ango Fox<static>over." After a brief second of shock, he realizes that they are asking for the Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot identification code that Terl gave them in the mission briefing. He quickly toggles the send button and gives the response "Tango-Alpha-November-Juliet" (I'll let Inigo take the conversation from here.)

Seeing no movement, Mal and Ting head out with their respective robot teams toward the compound as Maria pulls up and starts to settle the Dart into place on the landing pad. Since you said jogging, I'm going to assume 15m/turn. Almost immediately Mal see's a furtive form dash from behind building D into the door on the NW corner of building B.

Malcom's team gets about 1/3 of the way across the landing pad (Ting is about 2/3 since he took a more direct route) when Hercules Alpha pipes up. "IR target..." His report is interrupted by a hail of bullets coming out of the open door. The 'bot is hit square by the burst (30pts of damage).

B'Loone and company are now 40m off the map and Sebastian is 390m out (just passing the downed Explorer, I'm trying to get you there). The Dart has just touched down and the cargo ramp is opening. Maria can be out in 5 more turns. Elapsed time: 57 turns.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Next

Return to The Adventure