Zebulon's: post-jump

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Re: Zebulon's: post-jump

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

As Dalmar is gathering up his gear he calls out, "Grekka, why don't you see if you can get that 'bot to come with us. It might come in handy. At worst we can use it as a pack animal to carry some extra gear."
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 am

Gekka's already been performing robot Identification in the back of her mind since the small maintenance bot entered the cargo area. She's observed this particular one on many occasions on the trip and is very familiar with it.

Its one of those half sized "tin can" bots (see Frontier Explorer #3 the Tin Can Robot body), a new model called a M.A.R.S.3

MARS-3; Level 3, STA 50, wt 50kg, Movement: hover & Compressed Air (for 0g), No voice synthesizer, Type 1 para battery (490 SEU), Maintenance Program

There is no security lock on the robot and Gekka can almost guess at what the Mission and Functions look like- She quickly opens the access plate and deactivates the robot.

Listing the mission she discovers: Clean and Maintain the Serena Dawn on schedule
Listing Functions:
1. Serena Dawn is defined with a map
2. "on schedule" is defined with an actual schedule of tasks and locations to be cleaned

Gekka realizes that it will take rewriting to the mission and one function just to get the robot to follow them (2 more skill checks and time to do this) but she might also try fooling the robot into going to the lifeboat and cleaning it by imputing values in the robotic memory that will tell the robot that is already cleaned all areas of the ship except for the lifeboats. (1 skill check with a bonus because she's not rewriting anything). Its almost a no brainer, she quickly changes the values for cleaning tasks in the memory, reactivates the robot and closes the access plate. It immediately enters the 12 o'clock ladder well and through increased thrust of its hover fan and use of its two arms its ascends the ladder and begins to open the hatch to deck 1.

Kahn says to Dalmar, "Good idea, we should get this party moving."

OOC: marching order? Anything specific someone's character wants to do right now?
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby corkman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Sorting out his gear to make sure he has the majority of it, he picks up an axe and gets ready to defend himself as he turns, "What can I do to help?"

OOC: Sorry for my sporadic posts. I've had busy couple of weeks and hope to be getting back on track.
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby Once Far Off » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 pm

OOC: For marching order, if anyone has a weapon they know how to use, I'd gladly stand behind them. Now that we have our gear, I just want to get off this ship.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Dalmar glances down the 12 o'clock ladder well once the 'bot goes through. "Looks all clear. Gideon, why don't you and Kriss lead off. Doc and Dr. Redd can go next followed by Grekka and Rigel. I'll bring up the rear. Let's get up to the lifeboat bay and then take a peek into the auxiliary bridge to see if we can make a grab at the weapon's locker and get your weapons."

As the others move into the ladder well and start climbing, he walks over to the crate with the ball bearings and grabs another 2 kilo box/bag and hefts it. "On last gravity bomb, just in case," he says to himself and then walks back over to await his turn to leave the room.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:16 am

Dalmar is the last through the hatch into the 12 o'clock ladder well and as he's closing the hatch the last thing he sees in the cargo hold is both the far airlock hatch and the door to the hallway begin to open. "Company right behind us we need to move fast people," he says.

The robot opens the hatch to deck one and Gideon, Kriss and Kahn follow it quickly into the airlock chamber. Two doors are open: to the bridge and the axillary bridge.

A voice from the axillary bridge announces, "Fire in the Hole!"

Looking in that direction a poly plate armored goon with a demolitions kit in his hands and a rifle slung over his back is seen moving toward the airlock where the team is coming up. He seems surprised to see Gedion who fires 3 shots at him hitting him twice.

A voice from the bridge yells, "Baker, whats going on?"
Kahn rushes to the bridge hatch and starts closing it. Automatic fire pings off the hatch and bulkhead and Kahn is hit [6 STA 6 against skein suite] but gets the hatch shut.

The goon with the explosives kit manages to seize initiative from Gideon and ducks back for cover but then exclaims in panic, "Oh, Frak me!" as he attempts to scramble for another door but the compartment is rocked by an explosion at the arms locker and the armored goon is blown across the compartment to slam into the wall and slump to the floor. Alarms and the fire suppression system go off in the aux bridge.

Rigel, Gekka and Dr. Redd make it into the deck one air lock chamber. Dalmar is scrambling up the ladder with a nervous eye spot on the three hatches blow him and sees the wheels to all three pressure hatches turning as he's entering deck one.

Dr. Redd takes out her med scanner and attempts to scan Kahn who says, "Forget that for now, lets get you on the lifeboat. Guys, there's 3 pirates on the bridge and one of them in armor and too many ways for them to come at us we should consider making good our escape."

Kahn grabs Dr. Redd's arm and leads her through escape bay hatch behind the robot which is opening the hatch to the life boat on the right.

[situation:
1. unknown number of pirates in the ladder well on deck two but since three doors were opening its at least 3, Dalmar is closing the hatch.
2. 3 pirates were seen on the bridge by Kahn one is armored. hatch to the bridge is now shut.
3. the hatch to the hallway leading to the 6 o'clock position is shut and as yet you have no idea if anyone is on the other side of it.
4. the hatch to the axillary bridge is open and smoke is coming in from there. The armored goon is prone but stirring his rifle is still slung on his back putting in between him and the floor. Gideon is standing at the door with rifle at the ready having fired 3 shots from the clip when he caught the pirate by surprise.
5. Everyone is present in the air lock except Kahn and Dr. Redd and the Robot who have entered the escape bay.]

What Would you like to do now?
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

As the others head into the lifeboat bay, Dalmar hesitates just long enough to see a head appear through the doors on the deck below. He slings the ball bearings down the tube at the emerging head "Bomb's away!" and then slams the hatch shut and spins the locking mechanism.

"Game over," he says. "Time to follow the good doctors." And with that heads into the lifeboat bay himself.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby corkman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Kriss grabs a hold of Khan, assisting Dr. Redd, and tries to speed up their arrival/departure to the escape shuttles.

OOC: I also believe that either Kriss or Rigel has one of the automatic rifles from the pirate in the bar that was taken out there.
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby jedion357 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm

corkman wrote:OOC: I also believe that either Kriss or Rigel has one of the automatic rifles from the pirate in the bar that was taken out there.

Rellevant quote from pages 3-4:
"Just that moment, as you two (Kriss and Rigel) are looking for a way out of this, the VISOR of the guard guarding this area EXPLODES in a hail of broken glass and micro circuitry. Oh yeah... and lots of blood. He goes down in a clang of ceramic polyplate. Standing there is Odin Romm with an oversized engineering wrench, more akin to a medieval mace. He looks at all you. "Come on, this damned thing is rigged to blow, we need to get out stuff, and get to a boat and NOW!"

Rigel grins - "Thanks! Yes - let's!" He motions for Odin to lead the way."

corkman wrote:Kriss flinches very obviously when the wrench smashes the visor of the guard and he watches him fall to the floor. He slowly brings his hands back down to his sides and looks to his other team mate, "We don't have much time. Let's roll this guy, take his stuff, and get the hell off of this ship. Wait! We should try to get our gear before we leave. You good with weapons?"

Rigel looks at Kriss and says, "Agreed - let's get this guy's stuff and grab our gear. I'm rubbish with slug throwers by the way - mostly good with lasers myself."

Then he moves quickly to help get the armor and gear off the corpse. He offers the armor to Kris.

[OOC: I would interpret Rigel's comment about being rubbish with a slug thrower as an offer for you to take the automatic weapon so you're elected to stand guard at the door of the Life boat I would guess. That brings me to a another issue- if everyone would update the wiki character sheet with whatever you all took in the cargo compartment and make an OOC comment to that effect in your next post that would be a big help- I'll have time in a few days to wade back through a couple of pages and update the wiki character sheets for those that haven't done so.]
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm

OOC: Character sheet updated. I put down that I took 8 of the power clips. Grekka was the only other person to say they were taking any so I assumed she took two. If she wants more I'll adjust my sheet accordingly but for now I'm carrying the spares if we need them.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 am

Dr Redd balks at the lifeboat door and says, "What about Odin? We cant just leave him!"

At that moment Kriss remembers something Odin said just after smashing the armored goon with an engineering wrench, "Come on, this damned thing is rigged to blow, we need to get our stuff, and get to a boat and NOW!" There hadn't been time to pay attention to the particulars of that statement at the time. Odin must have done something to the engines, the Serena Dawn was a fast transport with atomic drives. If he set them to overload how long might they have? Ten minutes? He wasn't sure. It had only been what two minutes since Odin had liberated them in the galley. Kriss made eye contact with Kahn and gave the barest of negative head shakes.

Kahn tried to lead her into the life boat as Kriss said, "I'm sure he's found his way to an escape pod."
More like if he's alive he might but Kriss didn't think so and neither did Dr Redd.

"No! We can't just leave him."
It was at that moment in her struggles against Kahn and Kriss that the hypnosis Kahn had used on her to control the pain from her wounds suddenly left her and she screamed in pain.
A second latter she went limp as Kahn hypo'd her with a sedative.

"I'll strap her in, lets get everyone aboard," the yazirian doctor told Kriss.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Once Far Off » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am

OOC: I removed my weapons from the wiki. I'm assuming we found our gear, meaning basic kit and skein suit and no weapons. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I have a little room if anyone needs me to carry something.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 am

Once Far Off wrote:OOC: I removed my weapons from the wiki. I'm assuming we found our gear, meaning basic kit and skein suit and no weapons. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I have a little room if anyone needs me to carry something.

Everyone has their geat andskein suite- i didnt see the need to slow down the game with searching for it amongst the cargo containers - you would have known which container held your stuff and openned it immediately once you reached the cargo hold.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:04 am

OOC:
a little BTW here

Once the team is off the Serena Dawn I'll award EXP. I posted an "EXP Tracking" thread in the folder for Player Characters and listed my criteria for awarding EXP. I'm open to input on that if I missed something or if you have an idea that I overlooked. Pretty much I wanted criteria that rewards play in the PBP forum and yet mimics the typical 1-3 EXP awards for segments of the printed module.

Also of note is that I'll award a bonus point for having a character portrait. I know that some of you may feel like you cant draw but there is plenty of artwork to use floating around. If you search for dralasites, yazirians and vrusk on photobucket.com you'll discover some original artwork for the alien races of the core four. I have an extensive folder of SF artwork but others have posted a few pics. My log in on photobucket is jedion357. If you really get stuck for a portrait of your character and have ideas about what he or she should look like I can probably help with fresh artwork of the alien races in the game- just email me.

So
IIRC everyone wrote a good background: that is 1 pt.,

Everyone posted before boarding the Serena Dawn: 1pt (if you didn't its a free bee)

Game wise everyone should get 3 pts for the Serena Dawn segment, I'm not going to fuss over the EXP for this segment but will track activity from this point on so check the criteria.

That's a total of 5 EXP unless you get a portrait posted which will bump you up to 6 EXP. Which will be a good shot in the arm for most of the characters.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Since nobody mentioned wanting the polyplate I guess Gideon is wearing it now at half speed (I'll figure out what to drop later to resume normal movement).

Having taken point, he is in agreement for reaching the lifeboats ASAP, rifle ready with the preference of using the buttstock first in melee and firing three round bursts if ranged combat is the only option...unless there is a grouping of 3-5 targets at which point he will unload with the full auto spray.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:Since nobody mentioned wanting the polyplate I guess Gideon is wearing it now at half speed (I'll figure out what to drop later to resume normal movement).

Having taken point, he is in agreement for reaching the lifeboats ASAP, rifle ready with the preference of using the buttstock first in melee and firing three round bursts if ranged combat is the only option...unless there is a grouping of 3-5 targets at which point he will unload with the full auto spray.

OOC: 1. thanks for the explanation of firing priorities that's helpful,
2. polyplate requires a technician to make a repair machinery roll to modify it for a new wearer, I was only asking question about who's lugging it because its clearly an asset that Sam set in play that could help down the line so it has to be dragged along till one of the two technicians can take a crack at it.
jedion357
Referee

Postby rattraveller » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 am

OOC OK so Grekka has rewired her first robot and is heading with the others to the life boat.

"Doctor we all understand how you feel about your crew mate but we must face facts. The ship has been taken over pirates who have proven to be killers. Odin set up a way to stop them. We must take this chance and save ourselves. We should also trust that he provided his own way out of this."
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 am

With Rigel and Dalmar lugging the heavy duffel bags filled with polyplate the rest of the team hurriedly file into the escape bay.
the door leading directly to the bridge is worrisome since its known that there are pirates on the bridge. With Kriss armed with a automatic rifle using the hatch to the life boat for partial cover Gideon does the same at the hatch to the air lock chamber.

Rigel, Gekka, and Dalmar are crossing the room when two pirates come storming in from the bridge. One is wearing ragged plain clothing and holding a club. His compatriot is wearing a skein suit and has the guy in ragged clothing by the back of his collar with his left hand and in his right is a laser pistol. That he was holding the gun to the other guy's head. He's also using the pirate in ragged clothing as a shield. Extending the pistol past the meat shield's ear he fires two gyro rounds at Gekka hitting with one [22 pts]

The pirate with the club and ragged clothing goes wide eyed in this process and drops flat possibly pulling the pirate that had him by the collar off balance and spoiling his 2nd shot at Gekka.

Gideon and Kriss respond with 3 rounds from their rifles [Gideon hits twice and Kriss hits once on the laser armed pirate] .

During this Rigel, Gekka and Dalmar need no prodding to hurry into the lifeboat. Kriss holds his ground at the hatch while Gideon crosses to him.

The laser armed pirate fires a shot into the head of his erstwhile meat shield's head from centimeters away killing him and halfway pulls him into a sitting position while he crouches behind the body for partial cover. These actions prevent him from shooting at Kriss or Gideon. However the polyplate armored goon enters the room and fires three rounds from his auto-rifle at Gideon for two hits [11= 6 for skein suite and 5 for STA].

Knowing it will just be a waste of ammo Gideon pushes Kris into the life boat hatch and they pull it shut. Dalmar being a pilot went immediately to the pilot's chair to lift the red cover on the disengage lever and pulls it launching the life boat from the Serena Dawn. The life boat lurches and everyone must grab for for something as no one is strapped in. Kahn finishes strapping in Dr. Redd and straps himself into the chair next to her. Others take their places in seats and strap in, Rigel secures his heavy duffel of poly plate armor in the chair next to him so that it doesn't float around. Dalmar tosses his duffel of poly plate behind him for someone else to secure and straps into the pilot's chair.

Lifeboats are designed for automatic operation but have controls for a pilot. Passengers have a limited ability to operate the life boats scanner and controls.Only the officer's in the ships crew have the codes to unlock the flight controls. Dalmar, being a pilot just can't help himself and tinkers with the code lock to bypass it and take the flight controls off autopilot. Its a good thing that he does because the laser battery from the pirate vessel that docked with the Serena Dawn begins tracking on the lifeboat and fires and hits the craft. The autopilot would naturally follow a gentle glide path for re-entry this close to the planet and that would make the life boat a sitting duck but Dalmar begins altering the crafts course ever other second.

The lights flicker on and off in the craft and emergency lights turn on bathing the cabin in red light that resonates with the smell of smoke to set a hellish atmosphere in the craft. Dalmar jerks the control yoke to put the bulk of the Serena Dawn between the life boat and the pirate vessel that is still docked to the freighter.

This halts any more laser battery shots from the pirates for the time being but another emergency presents when a decompression alarm sounds. The digital displays suggest that the cabin will fully decompress before the life boat can make a safe entry of the atmosphere so Dalmar opts for an unsafe entry of the atmosphere. More warning lights flash in the display warning about damage to heat shielding and unsafe flight profile.

Dalmar manages to get the craft into the atmosphere and prevent every one's death from decompression but he struggles with controlling the craft during some "S" turn braking maneuvers and completely looses control with the craft sending it into a spiral toward the ground. Desperately he attempts to pull out of the spin and fails and at what is possibly the last moment gains control. The craft's altitude is too low and its speed is too high. Desperate to slow their descent he fires the life boat's braking thrusters at full which slams everyone against their safety harnesses. The robot has protocols that caused it to secure itself with its manipulator arms when the life boat went into 0g but its programmers never anticipated that it would need to know how to secure itself in a lifeboat so it only attempted to hold onto a grab bar and the back of a seat. When Dalmar fired the braking thrusters the half sized tin can robot came careening forward to smash the digital displays of the pilot's console narrowly mission Dalmar. However the robot takes severe damage and the digital flight display is destroyed. Dalmar if flying blind and has no time to do anything other than to guess at his altitude and to pull up on the craft's nose.

The craft slams the ground hard but perhaps Dalmar's guess was good and it porpoises across the planet's landscape. Everyone is jarred and slammed hard against the restraints as the life boat first hits ground, goes air borne again then the braking chute deploys. The inside of the craft is like a little pocket of hell, bathed in red light, choking its occupants with fumes and deafening them with the noise of the crash landing. Everyone is stunned when the life boat comes to rest and they are all still breathing.

The air inside the craft is choking everyone and pandemonium erupts as everyone releases their harnesses and the explosive bolts on the hatch is blown and the team exits the craft. You know there is suppose to be emergency survival gear on the life boat but no one can see it so everyone heads for fresher air. The three technicians in the party do grab hand held fire extinguishers by the hatch and go to work suppressing any fire from within and without covering the inside and outside surfaces of the craft in sticky foam. The fire extinguishers exhausted they also join the rest of the party to take stock of the surroundings. Everyone else is looking up.

The lifeboat has dug a path through meter tall grass and come to rest in a forest. The trees of the forest are immense,towering and obscure the sky. The forest floor is choked with thorn like brush that acted like a net halting the life boats forward progress. The braking chute is hung up on something in the meter high grass and the cloudless sky over the grassland is impossibly blue. The outside temperature is quite hot as well.

Looking up at the giant trees, Dr Redd exclaims, "Those are some big damn trees!"
Kahn standing next to her lets a hint of a smile reach his lips while he glances at the other yazirian in the party and says, "Oh, I don't know, they look a little small to me."

OOC:
1. Obviously I've modified the script with a new location for the crash site. I thought that a small change in script would be warrented as everyone probably knows the campaign backwards and forwards. I did run my ideas past Sam and he approved. Speaking of Sam, he had an unexpected death in the family his brother of 40 something years. I got an email from him and I told him to take all the time he needs. Not sure if he sent an email to you all but if not consider dropping a note to extend your condolences.

2. We're down to the planet and the mission goes forward. i might not get to updated character sheets with damage to skein suits and to character or to the robot till tonight (I just wanted to get this post in to give everyone something to chew on for the week end. According to KHs a life boat takes 10 but can cram in 20, I'm ruling that there are 10 emergency packs on the boat that can be found when the fire suppression foam dissipates some. NOTE: Lasers are the most expensive weapon in game and I think its odd that they were included in the emergency pack on the life boat which would have made the emergency packs targets for theft in my opinion. So I've ruled that the cheaper entry level weapons from SFman #1 were in the survival packs each has one clip of ammo. In the 10 packs there are: 5 light stunner pistols, 3 blast pistols, 2 Semiautomatic pistols.

3. Obvious skill checks- you can make your own rolls at home and write about results in a post (just to save on you posting what you want to do and waiting for me to respond with what happens- I think we can honor system these) if its appropriate for you character to tackle these things:
A. Kahn has some doctoring to do on about half the party starting with Dr. Redd since he only stabilized her earlier so that is some record keeping and die rolling I'll have to do.
B. the Polyplate armors require a technician repair roll to modify them to fit party members. (there are 2 technicians)
C. the robot is a MARS-3 robot described in the Frontier Explorer #3 article "Tin Can Robots" he's half sized (think R2 D2) with hover movement and compressed air movement for 0g, two mechanical arms but no voice synthesizer. its reduced to half STA from its collision with the digital flight displays on the life boat. The robotics expert has already listed its mission and functions earlier and does not need to roll for that (I'll just use the suggested mission and function for maintenance robots in the Programing for Dralasites and Dummies article of FE#3 as well- I'll get a character sheet for the robot made by tonight as well) but will need to make a repair roll to repair damage and skill checks to change its mission and functions. consider how you wish to modify the mission and function but be careful I will think through how its written and consider a level 3 robot will interpret those instructions. The changes to the missions and functions is also probably something the whole party might want to provide input on as well- I know that Tom S wanted to use it as a mule and that is certainly possible but without access to the appropriate attack defense programs it will not be able to function as a combat robot.

4. New Game thread, Crashed on Volturnus is the appropriate place for you new post of what your character is doing, EXP has been awarded (remember a bonus 6th point is possible for a character portrait) post any EXP expenditures in the EXP tracking thread which is in the same folder as your character and update the wiki. If you have your portrait in posted to your character sheet thread (not sure if its possible to post a picture to the wiki sheet) than you can spend that 6th point even before I update your total.
jedion357
Referee

Previous

Return to The Adventure