Crashed On Volturnus

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Crashed On Volturnus

Postby jedion357 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:07 am

OOC:
Note the previous thread has the final post of that segment, you should read that first.

I'm thinking that we can operate on something like 4 hour turns so you can post what your character will do for roughly four hours at a stretch.
We've survived the crash and I've awarded EXP, you can spend it.
The 10 survival packs (equipped as per SF-0 but with 5 light stunners, 3 blast pistols, 2 semi automatic pistols from the entry level firearms in the SFman #1), the wrecked robot and the two duffel bags of armor are easily retrievable. Other things might be salvaged from the wreck but I'll rule on your efforts and effectiveness.

The Situation:
The party is at the edge of a forest in a gouge carved by the crashed life boat. The forest floor is choked with thorn like impassible brush. The meter tall grass beyond is sharp edged and will damage skein suits. You can walk around in the gouge carved from the crash. The trees have broad branches that spread out and interlace with the branches of nearby trees, climbing the trees looks easy enough.

The robot is damaged to half STA and needs reprogramming

The polyplate armors needs to be serviced by a technician so it can be fitted to a party member. Gideon volunteered to wear one suit and someone else will have to either volunteer or the other armor suit becomes a spare for Gedion.

A variety of survival task probably need to be attended too as well.

EDIT: I've got some record keeping to do with posting details on the MARS-3 robot and everyones EXP and STA changes, I was just reading some archived copies of Dragon, Polyhedron, and Aries and saw in one of the Q&A articles that a std robot body could carry 150 kg, I'm ruling that the tin can body robot can lug 100 kg for the party.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Re: Crashed On Volturnus

Postby Once Far Off » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

OOC: Rigel is skilled with beam, so I'd like to humbly request one of the blast pistols. Not interested in the polyplate, so have at it. I'd like to use my scout skills to learn about the environment here, looking specifically to learn what could meet our basic needs, food, water, shelter. I'll climb on top of the pod to get the best possible vantage for viewing the surroundings, and make notes to help in future overland navigation efforts.

Question to Jedion - using XP - can we go ahead and spend the points now without training? BTW - I linked a character portrait (from Deviant Art) - didn't see a way to upload.

Also - Kudos to jedion for jumping in and saving the game.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Gideon will drag the armor for now, at least until a tech can size it up for him. He won't be able to cart the second suit though.

He will also take a semi-auto pistol, both if nobody wants the other.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:31 pm

This is a longish campaign with no access to learning and training facilities so for the most part work into posts that your character's been practicing a new skill and just spend you EXP there might be some obvious skills like quantum physics that would be tough to learn in game but I doubt anyone is going to be fussing about developing those skills. Spacers skills might qualify for that but I'm not going to sweat it. Plus I think were all going to be working on some basic survival stuff- weapons skills and such.

In fact getting Dalmar to work on a practice zamra was about working into the story line that my character had been practicing thrown weapons skills because as team medic he shouldnt be the most aggressive fighter and i thought I half remembered there being a grenade in each survival pack on the SD's life boat so I working on thrown weapons was both about staking out a position as a support fighter and about my character's development. I was not sure what Sam's policy was concerning EXP but figured it would not hurt to work EXP expenditures into my posts naturally would not hurt- as you may have figured out I was seriously enjoying developing my character and had worked in some story threads to develop for him over the course of the game.

Shadow you are going to have robot once its fixed and reprogramed so it available for lugging stuff.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Once Far Off » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 am

OOC: Ok, I put 4 xp into Navigation, figuring we could probably use it. I saved the other 2 for later.

jedion357 wrote:as you may have figured out I was seriously enjoying developing my character and had worked in some story threads to develop for him over the course of the game

Hadn't noticed! :D
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Once Far Off wrote:OOC: Ok, I put 4 xp into Navigation, figuring we could probably use it. I saved the other 2 for later.

jedion357 wrote:as you may have figured out I was seriously enjoying developing my character and had worked in some story threads to develop for him over the course of the game

Hadn't noticed! :D

Actually I think Sam awarded everyone 3-4 EXP for the pre trip to volturnus section so you have about 8-9 EXP
jedion357
Referee

Postby Once Far Off » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Oh? I had no idea. Do you know where I could see that?
I looked quickly at the old thread and didn't see it. Could I assume 3xp since I didn't really get going with the character development part?
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Once Far Off wrote:Oh? I had no idea. Do you know where I could see that?
I looked quickly at the old thread and didn't see it. Could I assume 3xp since I didn't really get going with the character development part?

wiki character sheet
perhaps we should cut the thread character sheets down to just backgrounds or something having character sheets in two locations is a bit confusing
jedion357
Referee

Postby Samlangdon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Once Far Off wrote:Oh? I had no idea. Do you know where I could see that?

OOC: check wiki where your character is
Samlangdon
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Welcome back, Sam.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Samlangdon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:Welcome back, Sam.

Hey, I've had a hell of a couple months, that culminated in the unexpected death of my older brother, but I am working my way back. I've been keeping up, Jedion has done a great job keeping things flowing.
Samlangdon
Referee

Postby Once Far Off » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Welcome back. I'm sorry for your loss.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

OOC: Welcome back Sam. I'm sorry about your brother.

BIC:
Dalmar works to get the fire out on the life boat. Once that is done he looks around surveying the damage. "That didn't go as well as it could have," he says to himself. "At least we walked away from it." He starts rummaging through the ship pulling out the survival packs and passing them out to those waiting outside. Once that's done he exits the lifeboat and leaves the door open so it can air out a bit.

Looking over his gear and the stuff from the survival packs, he adds a machete, a box of matches, an all weather blanket, a survival ration packet, one doze and tangler grenade, 10 vitasalt pills, a pair of sungoggles, a ploy-vox, a second flashlight, and a blast pistol to his kit. He places the spare techkit, the 1kg of 2mm ball bearings and 4 of his 8 liters of water back into the common store. Taking stock one last time he mutters, "A spade, why is there never a spade?"

Looking at all the gear, he starts doing the math in his head. "We've got about 175 kg of extra gear here. There's no way that little bot is going to be able to carry it all. I'm fully loaded. We'll have to see how it looks once everyone else has all their stuff packed."

Turning to the poly-plate armor, he calls out to Gideon. "You want a set of this adjusted for you, right Gideon? Come over here for a moment and let me take some measurements. After making some relevant measurements, Dalmar sets to work adjusting the armor. After some time (Tech skill: 45 - roll: 40) he gets it mostly adjusted and calls Gideon over for the final tweaks. Once he's satisfied, he raps the now armored yaziran on the chest. "Barrel of monkeys in a can. You're all good to go." Turning to the rest of the group he calls out, "Anybody else want this other set while I'm at it?"

Seeing no immediate takers he turns to other matters. Looking around he takes stock of their situation and drinks about half a liter of his water as he contemplates the trees for a moment. Sizing them up he then starts looking around the lifeboat and finds (roll: 27) a section of sheet metal that he can cut off. Pulling out his Techkit he sets to work removing the sheet metal and cutting it into 2 cm strips. These he then doubles up, bonds three sets together, and bends into a set of four grappling hooks (roll: 09), reinforcing the bends so that they stay bent when weight is put on them. Keeping one, he adds the other three to the pile of gear with the spare ropes.

Returning to the ship he removes another smaller piece of metal and forms it into the head of a small shovel (roll: 39). Then using his axe goes over to the forest and finds a branch suitable for the handle to a spade and cuts it off and attaches it to the shovel head. Looking at his work he shakes his head, "Not great, but it will have to do."

After that he picks up his machete and starts cutting his way through the grass to see what the parachute is hung up on and gather it in. He wants to try to save as large a swath of the material as possible. (How big is it?) He plans on taking a 3m x 3m piece with him if he can.

OOC: Spent 8 XP on Tech level 2 at the end of all that so future tech rolls have a base chance of 55 instead of 45.

Also, if anyone else wants the other polyplate armor adjusted for them, just call it out in character and Dalmar will set it up after he gets back with the parachute.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 am

Kahn does a medical scan of everyone after the crash, then treats those with minor wounds (using up 2 of the first aid packs) then performs major surgery on Dr Redd to restore her to full health (using up 3 biocort from his med kit).

Dr. Redd, insists on moving around despite his admonition to rest so he considers ways to shadow her and keep an eye on her; the team has food, water and matches for fire for the short term and there are plentiful (more or less) weapons available for protection so he decides to see to shelter. While the human Dr. is scanning and studying the trees and thorny underbrush Kahn collects sticks and wood. When she moves out to scan and study the meter high grass he collects the life boat's braking parachute noting that its been ripped and shredded in places by the sharp, seemingly glass cover grass.

When she gets testy about him following her he admits to doing it but draws a smile with a comment about doctors being the worst patients. After discussing her findings concerning the native flora in their vicinity he brings up his ideas about shelter and engages her expertise in survival to design and make a tent. Suggesting a tent design of yazirian origin they work together constructing, testing and perfecting a "bower tent."

[OOC: a bower tent is based on a real world design that technical mountain climbers use to essentially pitch a tent on the side of a cliff so they can sleep the night. The real world design is probably more a cross between tent and hammock. The bower tent is designed to look a little like an A mounted sideways on a tree and thus provide a little more floor space for two sleepers. The tent can be mounted to the side of a tree or slung beneath the large branches of trees like those native to the yazirian home world or this forest.]

In working on the tents with Dr. Redd, Kahn manages to get her to sit down while he does the grunt work and keeps her distracted with thinking through the design problems.

MEANWHILE: Rigel climbs the Bachanda tree, Kahn talked Dr. Redd into naming it after the trees of the yazirian home world as a ploy to lure yazirian tourist to visit Volturnus later on. Rigel got the impression that the stated motive of luring tourist to Volturnus had nothing to do with it but that Kahn just liked the idea of naming the big trees after those from his lost home planet. The fact that Kahn then launched into a project of making some weird yazirian designed tree tent sort of confirmed it for him.

When Rigel reached the top he discovered a vast canopy of trees extending to the North, the Northeast, and the Northwest. To the South, Southeast and Southwest was a plain of grass. The gouge in the terrain created by the crash landing was like a giant arrow pointing straight at where the team was currently camped out. Any aerial search by the pirates would not fail to notice that.

After a short time soaking up the sun and fresh breeze he made mental map notes of his surroundings and headed back down the tree. All the while he was climbing he could not shake the feeling that he was being watched. He stopped several times and carefully scanned the surrounding trees but to no avail.

Gideon was also getting the feeling of being watched and could not shake it.

Note: after about 4 hours Kahn and Dr Redd will have perfected the design on their field expedient bower tent and begun to production line two more so that we have sleeping space off the ground for 6. Anyone one want to speculate on wt for a tent? We're talking about a few poles and some parachute silk and perhaps some rope or wire: 1 or 2 kg?
Last edited by jedion357 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am

OOC: @ Terl Obar how big a piece of chute are you looking for? My extensive life experience lacks the experience of having packed a braking parachute for a life boat from an interstellar craft. :D however I was thinking that it might have been something the size we've seen being employed by real world space vehicles- i stated that it was ripped and shredded because if memory served the shard grass should have done that. Lets say that within reason we can salvage what we want or need from it.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am

Gideon recalls something test pilots would say during his tenure as plant manager aboard Cygnus Omicron IX. Streel had just launched an experimental new star fighter design that was intended to be inexpensive and effective, but was having trouble ironing out the kinks...no doubt it would be another couple of decades before this design ever saw fruition. But he couldn't help repeating what those pilots would say: "Any landing you can limp away from is a good one."

He will also take an all weather blanket, flipping it around so the reflective side is out. He will have the bot ferry his new armor and one of his two water packs to free up some carrying capacity, no need to don the armor now as it is just too cumbersome for wilderness travel. That, and he's already hot enough. It could be worse, they could have crashed in the dessert...

Food and water should be the bot's carrying priority, so he will load as much of it as possible (and will drag the armor in a duffel if there is too much capacity from food and water).

With the thick coarse hairs on his neck standing up, he feels uneasy. He takes the magnigoggles from his pack and begins to scan the trees and surrounding area.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

@jedi: Well, the 'chute used on the Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity rover) that just landed on Mars was 16m in diameter. It's probably safe to assume it is something like that. I'm looking to get about a 3mx3m piece if possible. Basically as large a piece as possible without it being too encumbering.

BIC: "Which way are we headed out?" Asks out loud. "Are we going through the trees or the grass? If we're going overland, I'll fashion us a sledge to drag some of this gear to make it less encumbering. Otherwise, we're going to have to leave some of it here."
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Once Far Off » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 pm

OOC: Any sign of water or evidence of the proximity of water while Rigel was up there? Also, I wasn't sure if I needed to roll for navigation, so I didn't.

Also - I looked on my wiki page and could not find any sign of an XP award for the first section. I put down that I had 2 XP left myself. If the range of 3-4 XP was what was handed out, I'd like to just assume I got 3 since I was late getting involved and did not have any real character development to speak of. I'd just like either jedi or sam to okay it. I'd like to take those points and apply it to the "Detective" skill under the agent PSA - which would include surveillance and clue gathering. In my mind, there is some overlap between the Detective skill and being able to recon a place as a scout, but it seems as though detective allows recon and adds and some other things, so I figure I'll go that direction.I'm figuring the team could use this skill here.

BIC: Rigel opens his survival pack and goes through its' contents. He grabs the polyvox and puts it on straightaway. Then as he surveys the water and vitasalt pills, his countenance falls. "We need to find a source of water or we're in big trouble."
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby corkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Kriss has one (1) of the Tanto style blades along with an axe. Still pretty sure that he has an auto-rifle from the guy in the bar as well.

I just got a new laptop and I'm not home to look up the information so, can someone tell me where to find the XP and skills where we built our PC's so I can save it and ad it to my favorites on my new computer, please.
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby rattraveller » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Grekka and the Catch up

During the flight down to the planet Grekka does her best to remain true to Rule of Acquintanceship #43 and the similar Rule of Courteous Workplace #17 "Do not complain loudly but find constructive ways to voice your opinions." She does this by not screaming in horrific pain at very jolt of the ride after being shot for half her Stamina by an explosive gyrojet round which has caused a good deal of cracking of her exoskeleton. (Kahn thinks thats a minor wound? What does he think is a serious one, beheading?)

Once they have successfully crash landed she will politely perform the following actions:

1)Politely wait her turn to be treated for her minor wound.
2)Politely ask for a Blaster and a Stunner if there are enough to go around and also if there are any holsters or if she needs to fabricate one.
3)Calmly collect her kit and the other things she salvaged from the Serena Dawn. She will then ask politely if there is anything else the party needs her to carry despite the minor wound.
4)Sedately begin to see what she can do to repair the robot using her kit and possibly anything she can salvage from the crashed wreck.
5)Privately lament the loss of her wardrobe and the killer boots she planned on wearing planetside instead of the ship shoes she is now wearing.
rattraveller
Explorer

Next

Return to The Adventure