BIC: Aboard the Lucky Devil and Serena Dawn

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

BIC: Aboard the Lucky Devil and Serena Dawn

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 am

Johny Johnson's head throbbed like he had been hit with a sledge hammer. Which in a way was true. The big dralasite, Sneel, had fists like hammers. All of the people in this compartment had been down on their luck or outright homeless like Old Zeek before the Star Devil Pirates had press ganged them at Point True, Pale. Old Zeek, had spit in the face of Captain Skrag and Johny had tried to intervene to save the old man's life which had meant everyone in the compartment had been beaten to set a lesson.

Johny shook off the grogginess and went to Old Zeek. The old war veteran was a mess, no way he could survive another round of beatings. Old Zeek patted him on the arm then struggled to a sitting position.

The door opened and in walked Sneel and Captain Skrag as well as 5 other goons. Of the 5 occupants in this compartment three had clearly had their wills broken but Old Zeek and Johny still had fire in their eyes. Johny helped Zeek to his feet to face the pirates.

Captain Skrag announced, "Its like this, we've left the Frontier proper and are beyond the reach of Space Fleet. You can give up any hope of escape. Now you can do as you are told or die. You work out well and you can move up to become a regular member of the Star Devils, you don't work out and you'll end up in the mines with the other prisoners. In about 24 hours we'll be boarding a freighter and aside from the inside team everyone on board is being captured to work the mines on the planet, your first test will be to help subdue the passengers and crew."

Zeek started to collect spit for a second strike at the pirate captain but Skrag, quick as lightning, raised a laser and shot him in the face. Johny had been holding the old man's arm to steady him but the limp weight of a dead body pulled him from Johny's grip. Shocked, Johny looked back at the pirate and the laser was leveled on him.

"How about you? Gonna do as you're told?"

Johny swallowed his anger, this was a live or die moment and perhaps he should seek to live to fight another day.
His nod was quick, almost spastic like his body objected to him agreeing to work with the pirates. The anger seethed within him but he even forced a smile.
Last edited by jedion357 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Re: BIC: Aboard the Lucky Devil

Postby AntGibbs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Johnny is from New Pale, the farming planet. The high grav of that world gives him a thick and powerful body. Johnny joined the First Sathar war after lying about his age at 16. After that time Johnny came home to find the family farm mysteriously sold to a large Ag company and his parents and little brother and sister gone.

Johnny, depressed, wandered Pale doing odd security jobs and temp factory work. After a time he met Old Zeek. He met old Zeek while sitting on a crate behind a club smoking a joint. Old Zeek asked to partake in it, and he let the old Yazarian do just that. Old Zeek listened as Johnny poured out all the pain he was faced and his concern for his parents and why they ran off. Old Zeek mentioned that perhaps instead of fretting Johnny should go to the Central Registry and find out exactly what happened on New Pale.

Johnny went to the Central Registry and found that taxes had doubled on New Pale during the war. His family was unable keep the farm up, and had to sell it cheap to an Ag Company. Further research indicated that this company may have ties to Streel. Johnny looked into this further and even went to Streel's office in Point True. Johnny asked and asked but did not get a straight answer. Eventually he was asked to leave the building (and odds are some people got pissed at all the questioning).

Johnny went back to the alley and found Old Zeek. He told Old Zeek what happened, and told him that did feel more in control of his life after looking into the issue. Johnny mentioned that there was possible work he heard about at the wharf. Johnny promised that if he came down with him to the wharf he would put him up in a room (he had taken a liking to the old boy). He even told Old Zeek that surely there was some work that even he could do....especially if he slowed down on the drink. Old Zeek promised he would pause the drinking a little bit to work. After going to the docks he found the advertisement, and was directed to warehouse. Inside the warehouse the doors looked, and crimson gas filled the room, and Johnny and Old Zeek eventually passed out from the gas and woke up in the aforementined perilous situation.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 pm

The dralasite, Sneel, looked on as the press ganged kidnappees from Pale loaded Old Zeek's body into the air lock. To another pirate standing by he whispered, "We'll probably send them all to the mines, but especially that black one, Johny. I don't trust him, he's got too much fire in his eyes, that one we should purge real soon."

Perhaps it was a trick of the acoustics in the Lucky Devil's architecture or just the heightened sense of awareness from having a laser pistol set for 10 pointed at his face just recently but Johny heard what the tough dralasite said plain as day but feigned ignorance over having heard him. Gently he laid the old man in the air lock. Under cover of one of the other kidnappees exiting the air lock first he snatched the old veteran's dog tag and ID card worn on a chain around his neck and pocketed it. If this truly was a star system outside the Frontier proper than the old man's body would likely never be found but for some reason at the last possible second Johny figured he should try to report what happened to Old Zeek.

When everyone had left the air lock, Sneel cycled it shut then announced, "Time to take out the trash!"

He entered the over-ride code that allowed him to open the outer air lock door without first pumping out the air. The outer doors cycled and Old Zeek's body was blown out the air lock.

The obscenity of it all made Johny's blood boil, the old veteran deserved better than that. Emotion must have shown on his face or the tough dralasite simply read him with the dralasite's vaunted lie detection ability or perhaps the arse just guessed what Johny was thinking when he asked him, "You have a problem with that?"

Johny looked him in the eye with a stare that was cold as death, "No."

"Good."

Yeah, if nothing else Johny would have to see to having a reckoning with this one and Captain Skrag, whatever his real name was.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby AntGibbs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:38 pm

((You know I'm getting that Drasalite--Johnny thinks. He is going to make Drasalite soup and serve it to the dogs. And by the dogs he means that Captain Skrag son of a bitch))

But he says to himself in a whisper, "Johnny Johnson gotta get out of here. JJ gotta find an escape pod. Yeah. That's what Johnny gotta do."

As soon as he can find a moment to get away he will start looking for an escape pod. He has a hatchet in one hand and his dagger on his hip. As soon as he can find a way to betray these pirates he will. Perhaps he'll turn on his captors if he encounters people he's supposed to take down.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:28 am

Boarding the Serena Dawn was straight forward. The crew of the Lucky Devil entered the freighter on deck 4. There was evidence of a fire firefight and bullet casings . Some pirates in expensive polyplate armor with militia markings reported to Captain Skrag. It seemed that a passenger or crew member had managed to barricade himself in engineering by laser welding the door shut.

Skrag ordered the dralasite Sneel to take the new recruits and sweep the ship for the group of passengers that were being the fly in the pirate's ointment. Skrag himself took a couple of pirates that he trusted and went straight up the ladder well at the 7 o'clock position because the two armored goons stationed at the bridge were too incompetent to work the ship's intercom and find those passengers for them.

Sweeping deck four Johny spotted one of the pirate insiders down and dead, with his nose pushed into his face from being smashed with something heavy and he'd been stripped of his armor. More importantly he spotted the hatches to the escape pods. The tough pirate dralasite always kept his gyrojet pistol vaguely pointed in Johny's direction so he feigned not to notice the escape pods.

On Deck 3 they split up some but always Sneel the dralasite had an eyespot on Johny. The deck was abandoned and when they went through the computer room Johny spotted a computer screen. It revealed that the system was in lock down but it also showed that a warning window. That warning window indicated that one person had input their code to overload the engines and self destruct the ship. The ship was just waiting for a second code. Sneel spotted it too and commed Skrag to report.

Skrag answered, "Understood, the ones you're looking for are on deck 2 in the 4 o'clock ladder well and the starboard cargo compartment."

They all assembled in the ladder well and Sneel ordered one of the kidnappees up the ladder first but just then a heavy statue came crashing down from above. This guy was so badly injured and it was obvious that he would not keep up that Sneel just put his gyrojet pistol to the guy's head and pulled the trigger. Gyrojets are useless under point blank range so while the miniature rocket hurt the injured kidnappee it didn't kill him as intended.

"Oh, frag it all," the dralasite exclaimed before he drew a knife and slit the man's throat.

Next Johny was sent up the ladder but the hatch was jammed somehow. Just as Sneel was about to threaten him he managed to force the hatch. In the deck 2 ladder well was another incapacitated pirate stripped of his armor and weapons. At this point Sneel sent a regular pirate and kidnappee up the 4 o'clock ladder to deck 1 and another regular pirate and kidnappee up the 7 o'clock ladder to deck one but he and Johny proceeded alone through the starboard cargo area to the 12 o'clock ladder well.

Then it occurred to Johny, all the pirates except the ones trying to break into engineering were now on deck 1. It was just him and this dralasite dirt bag alone on deck 2. Not only that Sneel was only packing a gyro pistol and knife, he couldn't hurt Johny with the pistol if he stayed at knife range. Perhaps this was his chance? then a free run back to deck 4 and the escape pods...

Sneel noted all the open cargo crates but especially the one that was full of axes and commed Skrag, "Cap'in, it looks like they've armed themselves with hand weapons."

"No worries, we're blowing the weapons locker now and then we'll catch them in a cross fire."

Last edited by jedion357 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jedion357
Referee

Re: BIC: Aboard the Lucky Devil and Serena Dawn

Postby AntGibbs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:29 am

As soon as Johnny can, he will lunge at Dreel and take him on. He will use his Axe and Dagger, and if he doesn't have that on him he will attack him barehands and attempt to beat him until he doesn't move (and if Johnny succeeds he will kick the Drasalite rabidly until his rage is abated). Then a free run for the pods.

Any PC possibly encountered (or harmless passenger) he will let pass without incident, and will help if the situation warrants it. Besides that he is running for the pods to make it to the planet surface. He figures that with his Scout leanings finding food and water might not be as hard as trying to work with treacherous pirates.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby AntGibbs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 am

Oops, I mean "Sneel". My bad. And one other note, he would not hesitate to stab Sneel with the dagger and kill him if the fight went that way. Sneel has death coming, as far as Johnny is concerned, and he is happy to send him on the way to Drasalite hell.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 am

With the big tough dralasite's attention on his chronocom Johny makes his move gaining surprise. He chops Sneel in the back of the head (too bad that dralasite brains aren't located there) and gets a second swing as Sneel tries to turn and engage. Flummoxed, the dralasite fires a full spread from his gyrojet pistol at point blank range. All three rounds hit but are ineffective due to the weapon's liabilities. Johny gets a third swing with his axe connecting for the third time.

Sneel is a bloody mess and his albedo suit is covered in fluids. He goes for his knife which slows him down and Johny buries the hatchet between his eyespots and drops the big dralasite.

Bending over to collect the gyrojet pistol (6 rounds left) and a spare clip (10 rounds) he hears Skrag's voice on the open link on Sneel's chronocom, "Sneel! Sneel! What's happening? I'm sending someone to you."

'Damn,' Johny thinks to himself, 'the chronocom was still transmitting!'
jedion357
Referee

Postby AntGibbs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:25 am

"Johnny Johnson chopped that Drasalite bastard up so good that he's gonna get some batter from the kitchen and make Drasalite nuggets out of Ol' Dreel. Toodles bitches." He taunts over the Chronocom.

With that Johnny shut off the Chronocom (so they can't track it) and put it in his pocket. Then with that he runs for the escape pods with a gyrojet pistol in one hand and a hatchet in the other hand. He stuffs the Drasalite's knife in his waistband (with the scabbard of course) and moved as quickly as possible towards the objective of escaping.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 am

Back down the ladder well at break neck speed Johny reaches deck 4 and dashes for the escape pods. He found no one along the way and the deck is eerily quiet except for a shudder that passes through the deck plates (the life boat launching 3 decks above). He enters and activates the escape pod. It lacks and controls for the occupants and is mostly automated. He does discover one control that he can operate and its the rescue beacon- shutting it off lest the pirates home in on him he sits back and tries to with the feeling of claustrophobia being locked into such a small space.

The Serena Dawn had not yet reached orbit over Volturnus when they jumped the freighter. The life boat had the reaction mass to get it to the planet and survive being shot at by the pirates but the escape pod would take hours to reach Volturnus. Johny would sleep fitfully most of the way having nothing to do in such a small space. Automated warnings alerted him to strap in for planet fall. The shock of the parachute deploying jarred him to his bones. The one small view port afforded majestic vistas of the planet that gave only impressions of the planet not any useful idea of where he was landing on it.

The escape pod came to rest in trees with the parachute draped over the upper canopy and the pod itself swinging below. Johny released his crash harness grabbed the survival pack and braced his back and feet so that he could reach down and open the hatch which was pointed directly at the ground from 40 m up. The sun was low on the horizon and the forest was still gloomy in the early morning light. Below he could just make out a thick tangle of scrub and brush on the forest floor that didn't look like a fun experience if he fell onto it. Working himself lower he spied a large branch several meters from where the pod swung and a little below him.

As he considered what to do next he noticed a directional tracker attached to the hull of the pod just inside the hatch. Because escape pods were likely to land scattered across a planet the manufacturer of this pod had equipped them with homing devices and a directional tracker that would let the occupant of the pod link up with other escape pods on a planet surface. Johny had shut his homing beacon off (which had saved his life, no doubt, as the small view port had let him witness the pirate vessel detach from the Serena Dawn and go tearing by firing its pod lasers at some target. 10 minutes latter the freighter had blown up). Apparently someone else had escaped the freighter but had left their homing beacon on. He'd be able to home in on their escape vehicle but should he?

[Survival pack's contents:1 machete, 1 box of matches, 1 all-weather blanket, 1 first aid pack, 1 chronocom, 2 packs of survival rations (each is good for 1 person for four days), 1 tangler grenade, 1 compass, 1 life jacket, 10 salt pills, 1 pocket tool, 1 flashlight, 1 dose grenade, 10 meters of rope, 1 toxyrad gauge, water pack 8 l of water, 1 pair of sungoggles, 1 pair of stretch coveralls, 1 poly vox, 1 blast pistol (see SFMan #1) Blast pistol: (wt: 1.5, DAMAGE: 4d10, Ammo: 2SEU/shot, Rate: 1, Defense: Gauss/A-S, Range: PB 5/ S 15/ M -/L -/ E -), and one 20 SEU clip for the pistol]
jedion357
Referee

Postby AntGibbs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:07 am

"Johnny Johnson needs to get this stuff packed, find some shelter, and find some friends." He says to himself.

Johnny will pack up the stuff he can carry comfortably, and then start following the signal to other escape pods and will look for other survivors and stragglers as it comes about. Johnny will proceed carefully, stopping five hours after noon to begin to set up camp or to look for a safe place to rest.

Johnny attempts to familiarize himself with the plants and animals that surround him too. He is careful to note them, but he tries to avoid interaction with any native species for the time being unless pressed. After a few days Johnny will consider hunting and gathering water and other survival activities.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:32 am

Slinging the pack on his back and securing the tracker he climbed down to hang from the hatch's locking bar. He was dangling beneath the swaying escape pod. He might have used the rope tied off to the escape pod to swing down to a tree limb but that might have meant leaving the rope behind. Instead he opted for the rather unsafe method of swinging his feet like a trapeze artist to get the escape pod swinging toward the closest tree branch. The pod swung back and forth and just when he felt like he's going to be over the branch enough to let go the parachute above ripped and gives way dropping the pod a meter. Johny makes a RS check [21- obvious pass] to let go and manages to land on the branch. His landing on the branch was ungraceful but then there were no judges present to score him on his artistic form. Seconds later there was more tearing of the parachute and the escape pod plummeted to the forest floor below.

The natural inclination of climbing down and walking on the ground quickly proved untenable. The brush was so thick and its thorns so sharp so that he despaired of ever getting very far even with the machete to chop through it. Noticing that the branches above seemed to interlock between trees and form a defacto elevated pathway he returned to the trees and began making good progress in the arboreal highway. The fact that the tree branches often interlocked provided great stability and his progress was unhindered. The tracker was leading him in a Southwesterly direction and the strength of the homing signal was solid leading him to believe he might be close.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:26 pm

OOC: I've posted a map in the Crashed on Volturnus thread, you may have guessed that your character will arrive at the map edge from the bottom of this map grid coordinates 21 G-L and at whatever height you desire. special rules for that encounter are posted with the map. You'll arrive soon after the action commences.

IC: Johnny notes the sound of a helicopter coming form the southeast and heading past him in the general direction of the beacon his tracker was tracking. That probably didn't bode well.
jedion357
Referee

Return to The Adventure