Help Wanted!

Announcements, General Discussions and Pre-game character sign-up

Moderator: Terl Obar

Help Wanted!

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Obar Enterprises is looking for highly skilled beings to join its Troubleshooting Department. Must be willing to relocate, travel and be out of contact for extended periods of time. Do you crave adventure? Are you self-motivated, aggressive and imaginative? Can you work as part of a small, independent team with minimal oversight? Do you like working for a small company with mega-corp benefits? If so, this may be your dream job.

For more information, or to apply, contact Obar Entrerprises, Pale Station, Truane's Star.

Chronocom Subspace Relay# 996746530007654974

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This campaign is aimed at advanced AD characters that have just acquired their first KH skill (see the Character Generation Guidlines for full details.) If you'd like to join up, post a reply and I'll create you a character sheet thread in the Player Character Forum.

The adventure will begin at the Obar Enterprises office on Triad station orbiting Triad in the Cassidine system. If you want you can give your characters some reason for being there in their background.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Re: Help Wanted!

Postby Bonehead » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 am

How many players are you looking for, and how much patience would there be toward someone who has never player Star Frontiers (or any RPG online) before?

I've played my share of D&D, TFT, Traveller, Top Secret and GURPS "back in the day", but this would be my first exposure to Star Frontiers. I'm not exactly a virgin, but I'm sure to make a bunch of newbie mistakes.

If that's ok, how does a Dralasite robotics engineer with a penchant for blowing things up sound?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:29 am

I'm looking for 4-8 players. We'll start once we have at least four. There is a natural break in the campaign story shortly after we get going before anything serious happens where we can pick up more if necessary.

I'm all for taking on people new to Star Frontiers. If don't have some already, you can grab a copy of the rules at http://www.starfrontiers.com/rules.

Character concept is great. There will be robots and explosions almost from the very beginning. I'll make you a character thread.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:09 am

I'm game. Character posted but I have to move it into its own topic, as soon as I get some controls over here.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:15 am

I moved it for you. You're a little heavy on the skills. You spent 286XP and you only had 200. Remember the ones outside your PSA (i.e. the military ones) cost double.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Got it fixed, Major Doctor Tom. Last time I type and look at the rulebook without my glasses....
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby umungus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:42 am

Hi,
I would like to play. Not sure how to go about this. Never played online before. Would like to play Vrusk with a military PSA. KH skill of missile weapons.
Name is: 'Ting Zik Tik

Please let me know what to do next.
Sorry for being such a noob.
umungus
Scout

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:37 pm

umungus, I made you a character sheet thread in the Player Characters part of the forum. Go ahead and roll up your character and edit the initial post to fill in the details. Once you've done that you are ready to go. I'll look it over just to be sure and give you any changes (if there are any) that need to be made.

As for play style, it is pretty straightforward. I'll descibe a setting and then everyone will post their characters' responses. I'll do any die rolls needed and post the outcome or reactions of NPC, etc. and then we repeat. If you want to check out some examples go to the Online Campaigns post on my blog. There are links to several online games of this type that you can look at and see how they go.

The goal will be one post per day per player. I'll post reactions at least once a day. The only time we absolutely need responses from everyone is when we are in combat situations. Otherwise, if someone doesn't post, we'll just assume that they don't really have anything to add at the moment. Of course, in the interest of keeping things moving, if we don't hear from someone for a few days, I'll NPC them, if necessary, until they get back. Anyway, that's the goal. RL invariably gets in the way so the pace will probably be a bit slower but we'll try to keep it up.

Once you've got your character rolled up go ahead and go over to the pre-game thread In the Briefing Room (it's the only thread in the Adventure section) and post your character's entrance into the start of the game. Will's character, Maria, is already there so you two can start interacting or just wait for more people to show up.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Okay, we have four players which is enough to start. We can take up to four more. We still need an astrogator and it wouldn't hurt to have someone with the Energy Weapons spaceship skill. Right now we have two pilots, an Engineer and a Rocket Weapons gunner.

Since we have enough players, we'll officially start on the 14th. Make sure your character has made his/her entrance into the briefing room by then.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:59 pm

So I just post here?

[moved character to a thread in the Player character section. You can now edit and update your character there. - Terl]

Also a noob.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Welcome aboard!
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:05 am

Terl Obar wrote:The goal will be one post per day per player. I'll post reactions at least once a day. The only time we absolutely need responses from everyone is when we are in combat situations. Otherwise, if someone doesn't post, we'll just assume that they don't really have anything to add at the moment. Of course, in the interest of keeping things moving, if we don't hear from someone for a few days, I'll NPC them, if necessary, until they get back.

My online time is quite limited Fridays through Mondays (I work ten hour late swing/early grave shifts), so if I don't respond on those days by midafternoon (Pacific time --- say dinnertime Eastern LOL), by all means feel free to NPC Sebastian.
Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 am

I'm pretty busy on the weekends myself so I wouldn't be surprised if we lagged a bit in general over weekends. Not a problem.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby cliff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:14 am

Can I still join? If so I have an idea for an old combat veteran, a medic with the spaceship skill of rocket weapons.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:27 am

Sure. (That background sounds a lot like your employer). We still need an astrogator but there are still two empty slots and we need a good medic as well. I've made you a character sheet thread so go ahead and roll up your character and post it there.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby estradling » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:02 pm

If there is still room I have an interest in the astrogator slot.
estradling
Scout

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:14 pm

It's all yours. I've created a thread for you to post your character in over in the Player' Character's section. Once you get it rolled up, I'll look it over and you can start posting in the Adventure section.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby LordSathar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 am

hrmm, since spacerats is dead, you still have an opening?
LordSathar
Frontiersman

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:17 am

We could squeeze in one more. Post a character concept and name and I'll make you a thread in the player character's section.

There is also the Wing Command game starting up if you want to play that one.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby LordSathar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 am

whatcha need?
LordSathar
Frontiersman

Next

Return to General Discussion