Crashed On Volturnus

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Re: Crashed On Volturnus

Postby AntGibbs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:21 pm

What JJ does greatly depends on whether or not Captain Skrag spots him or not. If he's not spotted he is going to wait and see if Skrag turns to engage the others in the forest or whether or not he simply tries to escape. If he is trying to escape and turns his back in fleeing Johnny J will take potshot at him or any other pirates he can while maintaining cover.

If noticed, JJ will simply engage the pirates. If the pirates are on a branch that seems loose enough JJ will blast the branch in an attempt to send the all down crashing cradle and all. If not, well, I guess it's a firefight to the death. JJ will attempt to move to a flank if others engage them and draw their fire away from him.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby AntGibbs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:23 pm

If the pirates turn to engage the characters and don't notice him JJ will manuver to get a good flanking shot at Captain Skrag. If he can take careful aim and get a head shot he might go for that and try to blow his pirate brains all over the Bachanda forest.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Note: Skrag probably did not eyeball Johny with the mark one eyeball however, and this is particularly evident to the other PCs it would seem they helicopter at least had a method of spotting the PCs in the forest canopy which suggests IR, it might not actually be evident to Johny that that was the case because from his position he probably didn't realize that the helicopter made a perfect circle of the other PCs position. As far as you can tell they are unaware of you.

RE: tree branches: have vines and roots that drop to the ground and interlace with other branches, vines and roots which is what makes them stable all the way out to the branch ends and means just shooting the branch away from the trunk wont cause it to fall.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 am

If combat breaks out, Gideon has a straight shot at Skragg, if he and the other two are within 10m of each other he will fire a burst at all three...otherwise he will fire the burst at Skragg and P6.

Otherwise he will freeze and look for cover (the main trunk of the bachanda tree etc)
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am

(OOC: The current map seems to not be displaying, maybe it is just me.)

"Hopefully that fireworks display will keep the jetcopter away," Dalmar thinks to himself, as he draws his blast pistol and looks around the trees for a target. "I should have grabbed one of the stunners as well, that woujld actually be more useful right now."

"You might as well give up and head back now," he calls out to the pirates, "We've got you right where we want you."

He'll open fire at 15 m (short range) if they continue to advance.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby AntGibbs » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 am

If JJ hears that person call out, he is going to get in cover and see what he can figure out (as far as who is friend and who is foe). He figures that Pirates are not just looking for him, they are looking for a group. Perhaps there is hope.

If he spots a pirate and the shot is opportune he is shooting. If he gets a shot a Skrag he's definitely taking it.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby corkman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 am

Kriss does his best to try and utilize his sights (on the auto-rifle) and to get a good sight picture on the Yazirians, specifically #4. Once the firing begins, he will aim and take single shots at the Yazirians. He will also try and utilize what cover he has to conceal himself or more importantly, using cover as cover to stop any incoming fire or lessen the impact.
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby Once Far Off » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 am

Rigel finds a spot near the others and draws his pistol to defend the group. He knows his new blast pistol isn't very effective at range, so he stays behind cover and waits for his chance to get a clean shot.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby rattraveller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:00 am

OOC Sorry for the lack of posts been very busy lately.

Grekka will use the blaster in the right and the stun gun in the left. She thinks thier best bet is for her to hold off Y3 and Y4 with shots but not necessarily hitting the enemy while the two next to her attempt to flank and sweep them. Then the three of them can continue the flanking of the rest of the pirates.

Others will also need to hold off the enemy while this is being done.

Any other takes?
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 am

Sorry guys, my internet service was disrupted this week but fixed now. I'm doing catch up on several sights before running for work. I'd prefer to give the game advance more time and thought then 10-15 minutes under pressure. So expect something toninght after work.

From the post I see a general trend to use cover and and stay close to each other for support and to take careful shots

Gekka has not off hand penalty so she's going pistolero which is a good use of racial ability.

Kriss is looking to play sniper with the bonus for carfully aimed shots.

If I was a player and not reff, Kahn's plan would be to hang back and look for an opening to rush forward and chop someone in half with his kha'dan (sword) while attempting battle rage or test out his new thrown weapons skill with his zamra or the grenades he scooped up.

Gedion has given rough outlines of his firing priorities; single shots and no wasteful burst fire,

JJ is looking for opportunities and trying to figure out who is friend and who is foe

These are my basic interpretations of you intentions but you have today to modify any of that

On friend and foe issue the pirates have, as JJ would well know a tattoo (devil surrounded by stars) and many/most have a tattoo logo of the same design on their flight jacket/skein suit in much the same vein as a bike gang would have indentification colors. JJ was never issued a tattoo or colors because he was viewed as cannon fodder and probably destined for the mines anyways.

See you all after work tonight and you'll have a post to chew on for Sunday.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby corkman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 am

I guess no change for Kriss but, he will keep his setting on single-shot and not burst.
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Gideon will be firing a burst at Skragg (who is in direct line of sight) and at least one other pirate depending on how many are within the 10m burst radius. If Skragg and P6 are more than 10m apart then he will fire three rounds at Skragg.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 pm

OOC: couple of referee rulings here:

1. JJ doesn't hear the above comment by Dalmar because of the distance and the foliage certainly breaks up the sound but he does hear something else which will come up in the In character post.

2. Gedion's line of sight is actually through 50 to 60 meters of tree; Quote= module rules for encounter "Sighting in the tree canopy- characters may shoot at any character in an adjacent square and may shoot farther if their line of sight is not through a green square."

Note: the terrain rules are such that they level the playing field and strip away much of the advantage the pirates should normally enjoy.

Oh yeah and one more thing- a critical success does special stuff in my games- usually things I make up on the spot according to the situation; I'm mentioning that since it just came up in rolling someone's gun fire.

IC:

JJ was not sure what was happening but he did see the sudden eruption of fireworks but the distinct lack of the boom from real fireworks suggested they were holographic. He then heard the helicopter hit a tree. The engine sputtered and clearly there was some damage as he caught a glimpse of it spinning and swerving away from the forest. He watched Captain Skragg wave the other two pirates forward and observed Captain Skragg shouting into his chronocom at the copter pilot to get back on station and that he didn't care about damage to the tail rotor they needed the IR scanner on the copter to spot the escapees. Seconds latter the helicopter headed East the way it had come and Skragg spent several seconds shouting and swearing alone at the edge of the tall tree just west of JJ.

JJ manages to edge forward a few meters to get just within 30m of Skragg. JJ is lower and than the pirate captain and the trees in front of him are lower still.

Gideon was aware of the pirates roping down into the tree just northwest of his position and edged forward to the edge of his tree for a better view and shot. The pirates there were already moving and clearly they would count cover from foliage but one swung down from the 30m tall tree to the top of the 10m tree (P4) and was out in the open at 40m distance (short Range). He fires 3 rounds (92, 02, 36), the first shot missed but the second connected solid in center of mass and the third shot should have hit but the kinetic force of the second shot spun the pirate and he lost his footing and fell out of the tree to the ground (max damage for critical hit and for falling damage 25 STA 13 for skein suit and 12 for actual wounds on P4 who is now out of sight on his back on the ground).

Even as gun fire erupted behind Kriss one of the yazirians (Y3) jumped out of the tree due south of him and glided to Kriss's tree. As he's landing Kriss and Grekka had excellent shots at him. Kriss fires one carefully aimed shot but misses (79) however Grekka fires a blast pistol (23) and a light stunner (87) [with the blast pistol doing doing 27 STA from its wallop and the pirate lacking an effective defense against it].

Kahn edged up to the edge of the tree next to Rigel to watch the yazirian pirates below, the warrior spirit of his ancestors stirred deep within him to jump from the tree and glide down to combat. He suppressed this urge lest the two pirates shoot him before he could reach them. Instead he readied a tangler grenade. The two yazirians were attempting to run across the top of the tree and enter the tall tree the party had taken cover in. This brought them face to face with Kahn and Rigel. Kahn's grenade caught the pirate square in the chest (02) and entangled him to the tree branches around him. [Rigel fires at short range at a running figure but can count careful aim since the weapon only shoots at a rate of 1 anyway for an adjusted chance of 30%- roll: 07 which connects for 15 STA and again the pirate lacks an effective defense]

Dalmar holds his position and waits for a shot having determined to wait till the range drops for an optimal shot with his pistol. The roar of the blast pistols being fired by Grekka and Rigel is almost stunning, he had known the weapons were loud but the reality of them in combat was altogether shocking. The fire from the assault rifles was almost like the popping of fireworks for children.

JJ recognized the distinct sound of both semi automatic fire (no one fires a burst) and the loud blast from blast pistols. Captain Skragg looked concerned. Good he thought to himself, anyone giving Skragg a bad day was good news in Johny's book.

OOC: You all are effectively firing from the cover of prepared positions and I ruled for surprise round due to the holograph projector and that you had prepared for the pirates a little. From this point on they are spotting you all pretty much as well as you are spotting them. Except for possibly JJ who has not revealed his position yet.

jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:22 am

Ooops almost forgot to put up the map

Just a recap that is
Pirate Y2 just caught a tangler grenade to the face by Kahn

pirates Y1, Y3 and P4 have been engaged in combat by various members of the team to various effects, since skien suits and albedo screens are in my opinion the most common defense and the blast pistols turned out to have a gauss/anti shock defense when I looked these weapons turned out to be your most effective over the assault rifles.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Dalmar will fire at Y3 as soon as he moves into range taking careful aim to increase his chance of success.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Once Far Off » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Rigel keeps up the attack with his blast pistol.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby rattraveller » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:54 am

Grekka will fire at Y3 since he is so close but only with the stun gun. While on one level she knows they can not take care of prisoners her previous police work has left her with a strong desire to "bring in the bad guys". Plus she wants to get more information on the enemy situation so the party can stop just acting in the dark on things.
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby Once Far Off » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:56 am

Good idea RT
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 am

Gideon will try to make his way towards P1 & P2 to avoid being flanked by them. If he can get close enough he will attempt battle rage (10%) and engage them in melee (sword), otherwise he will continue with the firing order of single shots at the closest (unless both are within 10m for a burst).
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 pm

IC: Gideon's shot knocking a pirate to the ground brings a quick response, two of the pirates move up to the edges of the trees there in and fire lasers at their full rate of fire. (P3 is firing from 50m away and 10m lower- [-30 to shoot for 2 misses] and P1 if firing from 10m away and 20m lower [-20 to shoot for one hit 11 STA]) Gideon returns fire on the closest (soft cover/short range -20, 3 shots 14,48,54, one hits for 7 on P1)

Gekka checks fire with one pistol and uses the stunner only on the pirate 10 meters from her (Roll is a 1 critical success and the ability check to resist fails) . The pirate above and behind him thinks better of jumping out of his higher vantage point and fires a full spread of laser fire on Gekka before ducking down into the foliage (30m range and soft cover -30, 2 shots 56,65; misses). Kriss shifts targets to the yazirian that just fired on Gekka with one carefully aimed shot (short range and no cover this turn and careful aim +5; 1 shot: 26, hits Y4 for 4 STA and 4 to skein suit).

Rigel and the Yazirian in front of him blast away at each other though the yazirian charges on to the branch that holds Rigel. (point black range & no cover for both Rigel rolls: 69 and the pirate shoots: 92 & 19 for one hit doing 3 STA. Kahn sees the pirate coming and realizes that tangler or stun grenades will equally endanger Rigel and charges to the branch with his kha'dan honor sword and attempting to battle rage {11 fail} but chops halfway through the pirate's torso killing him. Beneath Khan and Rigel the branch creeks and groans from the weight of 3 people but holds.

Kahn lowers the dead body to the branch. The laser pistol in its hands bounces from branch and vine all the way to the ground 40 meters below.

"Frag!" exclaims Kahn and strips the spare 20 SEU clip from the body, hands it to Rigel and kicks the corpse off the limb.

East and a little north of Rigel and Kahn is two voices calling out yazirian names and moving toward the center of the tree.

Meanwhile: JJ loses sight of Skrag and moves to up some to not allow Skragg to get too far from him.

OOC: ooops left out Dalmar but then his target went down.
jedion357
Referee

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure