Meet the Kurrabunga

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Meet the Kurrabunga

Postby jedion357 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:50 am

In the after math of the the battle Dr Redd and Kahn treat all wounds (that is after Kakn master's his anger over discovering what had happened to Old Zeek). Dr. Redd is a bit distracted but fascinated with the presence of the hairy humanoids yet she manages to complete her medical duties with competence. Kahn is brooding and moody as he goes about his duties.

Two of the hairy humanoids clearly know some very broken Pan Gal and call your polyvoxes "box" [you can communicate with them in the equivalent of very bad B movie cave man speech] all of them are fascinated with the yazirians in the party but are gravitating toward Gideon since he seems more approachable plus the two that witness Gideon gliding and dont seem to know any Pan Gal have been telling the other three about Gideon's battle with the pirate and his gliding act with plenty of pantomime and hand motions which spurred their interest in him. They swarmed Sky Devil Pirate prisoner and roughly tied him up to a pole and clearly intend to carry him some where and seem to want you to accompany them. The kurabunga will help as porters so everything you have can be taken along.

OOC: pace of things will transition here since we're out of combat. So people can explore separate lines of investigation and or projects that might be of interest to their character. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the content of the modules or has access to them but you all are playing it clean not using meta-game knowledge which is great. Clearly from comments made by Odin Rom to Dr. Redd on the Serrena Dawn, Sam had planned some other mysteries that were not spelled out in the modules, which any good referee will do, I'm not privy to his plans and when I stepped in to keep things going I suggested to him in an email that I have the life boat crash at the bachandra forest and have the team meet the Kurabunga first just to change it up a little since everyone knows the script of the adventure some minor changes in order of events could give a sense of discovery to something your already know all about. I'm going to email Sam and find out if he's going to come back or if not what his mysteries were so I can continue to handle the game- especially since you now have a prisoner to interrogate even though the kurrabunga seem intent on making him face some tribal justice back at the village.

So that said your original mission was:
1. to learn about and survey the planet to report back, In the module what survey means is not spelled out so it can be science, avenues of economic exploitation, etc.It just didn't matter when the module was written as the team was tossed into a survival situation, the cynical corporate despising side of me would like to interpret that as lip service to scientific discovery and a heavy emphasis on what the economic possibilities are (which would explain the lack of real scientist on this mission).
2. to discover the fate and if possible rescue the first expedition

Now, the presence of pirates here is a surprise and from JJ you have learned that they have a mine with slaves working in it. Clearly this is something worth reporting and you will want to get to the bottom of this.

The original mission brief indicated the presence of a desert dwelling native and the hairy humanoids do not match its description, just the fact that 2 sapient species co-evolved on this planet is a major scientific discovery and in a way a mystery.

I Think I'll award 1 EXP for the combat encounter even though we just had EXP awards, everyone was active posting. In the next story arc there will be people to talk to (pirate prisoner and the kurabunga) as well as things that could be investigated so if your character gets to the bottom of something or simply does something that facilitates moving the team ahead in the story its a bonus EXP, if things lag I'll use NPCs to move the story along and my PC wont be able to earn the bonus EXP.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Re: Meet the Kurrabunga

Postby jedion357 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:28 am

OOC: Please feel free to develop the story a little with your character, if you think what you were considering is something the referee should sign off on you can email me to discuss it. I am interested in developing the story so go ahead.

For example in another PBP adventure I played in the Mission to Alcazzar wrapped up and the referee through the Hydra breaking out of the zoo (basic game encounter) at us while we were in Port Loren as he was developing the next story arc. I knew that the lasers were effective and still went through the motions of buying a hand laser to shoot it (my laser rifle was in the shop being tricked out with new attachments and modifications as well as having a nice krik hide case made for it an all the attachments). When my character discovered that the laser was ineffective against the hydra I had him step into the barber shop and attempt to borrow a weapon as the encounter suggest but clearly whether I got a weapon or the kind of weapon I got I thought that should be up to the referee. I further though it would be fun for the barber shop owner to be a Frontier equivalent of a Civil war Re-enactor and have only a mussel loading rifle available. so I emailed referee three possible posts: one where the barber lent a straight razor big enough to use as a knife, one where a patron lent an actual pistol of some sort and one where the yazirian barber lent his rifle from his yazirian clan war re-enacting kit and made my dralasite wear the hat too. The reff, despite being an Aussie was a fan of the American Civil War and went with the post I desired and it was a cool piece story.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby corkman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Was there any Pirate gear that we scavenged?
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby jedion357 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm going with the premise that some gear was damaged, some smells really awful, some is just worn out and some wont fit anyone.

So in addition to the 5 hand lasers and 10 full power clips
lets say that gain 7 fully usable skein suits- and they have the red devil pirate logo on them much like biker gangs have gang colors on the back of their leather jackets. You would have had more of these except your new hair allies like to attack the logo with their stone knives to deface it and the were a little perplexed at your desire to save these.
3 metal knives
14 chronocoms
1 brass knuckles
1 everflame
a plug of chewing tobacco
a cord of dessicated skin (14 total) from all 4 PC races each piece is 3 cm in diameter with a hole punched near the edge and strung on a leather thong.
Skragg had a level 4 baton key
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Gideon isn't interested in much of the booty, but two things catch his eye:

1> the brass knuckles. This will help out next time he goes fo some hand to hand combat.

2> the baton key. Upon seeing it he exclaims "Ah, now THIS may be useful later on..."

After that, he will begin taking & logging readings of the various flora and fauna samples about the forest with his enviro-scanners.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby rattraveller » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Grekka feels herself torn by the many priorities of work that need to be accomplished.

1) Tending the wounded is being taken care of but she wonders how soon they can move since this location is compromised and a second attack may come anytime.

2) Opening communications with the the newly discovered race and finding out what they need and want from the party and how they can help the party with its list of current problems.

3) Interrogating both the pirate prisoner and what should be the disarmed newcomer (with the oh so convient story) to find out what they know about the situation and each other.

4) Preparing supplies and equipment for the move to a safer location along with dividing up the newly captured equipment fairly, not just a grab what you like screw everyone else.

5) Finally getting everyone to focus on survival priorities and not wondering off by themselves smelling the petunias.

Sighing (which is interesting to watch in a creature which breathes through thier sides) she tries to remember rule 101 "The new races must to taught the rules, since they suffer from not having learned them."
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby rattraveller » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Forgot a priority will also be removing the bodies of the pirates so that they do not attract any local scavenger/predator species (wonder what the local version of the hyena looks like). Maybe putting them in the lifepod after it is stripped of supplies and sealing the door.
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:07 pm

The Kurabunga lead you all 3 km further west hugging the edge of the shard grass plain. They assist you with carrying stuff and one does some scouting. They halt briefly for an hour and encourage you all to take cover seeming fearful of some threat that does not materialize then lead you on.

Close to Dusk you arrive at a tree village, scores of kurabunga throng the branches as you approach. You are lead into a major platform between trees ringed with hut like dwellings many dozens of warriors surround you and seem angry about the Star Devil logo on the prisoner, their tone is aggressive but the leader of your group of primitives silences them with a loud cry and a rapid string of words that are hard to follow some could have been actual Pan Gal words.

A chief approaches and calls for others who labor carrying a statue on a litter in the dark there is a vague humanoid look to the statue but by one of the few torches you spy a polyvox strapped around its neck. The chief gestures to the polyvox and says, "Box broke, you... not broke."

OOC: Sorry guys I still need to do some record keeping and will develop the intro to the village better when I get back from Maine and spring cleaning at my parents house.
jedion357
Referee

Postby AntGibbs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 am

OOC: Sorry, been looking in the wrong forum.....

JJ will be friendly, and will treat the aliens and all around as nicely as possible. JJ will scavage any rations he can get.

JJ would have made an effort to conversate with anyone who was willing to. JJ will talk about how he grew up on the farm on New Pale, exceptionally tall for all the shorter ones because of the high gravity.

JJ will hopefully loot a laser pistol, and a clip for it if it is about. If not, JJ will simply sharpen his axe and knife as best he can and get ready for whatever.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby corkman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 am

Kriss will try to take advantage of the scouting part of their walk by watching the Kurabanda on how and what they do here. For the time being, Kriss will also take one of the laser's and SEU clips.
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

OOC: The hand lasers we found, are they laser pistols? I'm assuming they are and so Dalmar witll swap out his blast pistol for one. Also I updated the group equipment list assuming JJ took a laser pistol and a clip, Dalmar did the same and Gideon took the brass knuckles and the baton key.

BIC:
As they travel, Dalmar watches their new allies with curiosity, and tries to engage them in conversation with his polyvox.

Arriving at what seems to be their village, he perks up when he hears the chief say:
chief wrote:"Box broke, you... not broke."

"I make box not broke," he offers to the chief, and begins to approach the reportedly broken polyvox. If not stopped, he'll take the polyvox down, pull out his tech kit, and begin examining it to determine what is wrong.

If it's out of power, he'll pull the power supply from one of the spare polyvoxes in their gear and plug it in. If it is damaged he'll pull the memory core out and swap it into a new polyvox instead. Either way, while making a show of working on the polyvox he'll download the language files from this box into his and merge the language file for this race with the one he started generating during their trip to the village.

Once it the polyvox is either fixed or replaced, he'll turn it on and present it back to the chief. "Box not broke now."
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Dalmar quickly ascertains that the polyvox is just out of power and a little dirty. He swaps out a power source for one of the team's polyvoxes as well as cleans it a little. While running a diagnostic after powering it up it becomes evident that the old polyvox has extensive files that it has compiled these many months on Volturnus. Dalmar syncs it with the other polyvoxes belonging to the team and in minutes the back ground gibbering of the kurabunga is being translated for the team.

The chief straps the polyvox back onto the statue and an elaborate ceremony ensues where the chief speaks to the idol and the idol (through the polyvox) speaks back in PanGal. Then the whole tribe echoes back the words in Pan Gan. You begin to understand how the kurabunga have learned some Pan Gal but either way your polyvoxes are functioning perfectly translating the primitives langauge. (the content of the ceremony was a long winded plea to the gods to strike down the sky devils, return the kidnapped kurabunga, and send more Jamison's/Angels to aid the tribe- the polyvox indicates that though Jamison is a proper name the context of the prayer to the idol uses it as angel)

The chief declares a feast and the whole party is brought to a hut with their gear. Clay jars of water are presented and Grekka using comprehension informs you all that its expected that you wash up.

The feast progresses pretty much as you'd expect, with music, dancing food [between Dr Redd and Gedion surreptitiously scanning it during the festivities are able to determine that is safe to eat in small quantities- its only partially digestible and for the most part will be expelled as bulk by everyone but the dralasite in the party who's biology can better process it]
The festivities continue into the night and there are more rounds of idol/polyvox/chorus by the natives as it seems they are greatly stimulated by their idol talking them again particularly when the few that have a passing command of Pan Gal address it in that language and get it to speak back in kurabunga.

The chief is a bit put out by Jamison because he left and never came back and believes that the sky demons or the "Ug" got him. Jamison and the dralasite named Grod from the previous team apparently made contact with the Kurabunga but left to investigate a "sky chariot" that fell from the sky into the desert south of the village. He's give you Jamison's hut in the village and seems to want something from you that has to do with the sky demons.

Dalmar is puzzled by something he found when working on the polyvox- that the power source seemed to have been intentionally shorted out but for this to have been done would have required tools and know how that the kurabunga do not seem to possess.

The kurabunga are very fascinated by tales of Gedion gliding through the trees and while they are respectful its clear they are intently watching the yazirians in the party expecting them to suddenly fly through the air at any moment.

Kriss, by watching the kurabunga hunters, has learned to recognize some trail marks that kurabunga use to mark trails by cutting seemingly stray marks into the bark of trees. He's certain he can spot and follow them in the future.

The party goes late into the night and it turns out some of the drink is alcoholic. Kahn takes some of this and climbs to the top of a tree and salutes Old Zeek, whom he's learned from Johny is now dead at the hands of the pirates. He drinks some of the alcohol then pours the rest for Old Zeek's spirit then sings a lament to the old war veteran before being the first to turn into the hut provided by the kurabunga. Rooting around he discovers a roll of supple leather tied with a cord. Untying and rolling it out he discovers its inscribed with smudged charcoal in Pan Gal. Grod, the dralasite member of the previous team details that one of the pirate's vessels appeared to have hpyer-ignited and was forced to make an emergency landing in the desert. Jamison and Grod went to investigate it. Doing the math on the date listed by Grod, Kahn determines that this was 7 months ago. He also listed a compass bearing. Kahn saves the leather roll to show the rest of the team in the morning.
jedion357
Referee

Postby AntGibbs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 pm

JJ will get a polyvox if possible.

When given the bowls, JJ will say, "What do these things use for soap?" He'll look around for some. If not, he will rinse himself as best as he can. If there is no privacy he will do as the Romans do, he guesses.

JJ, if allowed, will go about the village and check out the creatures and how they do things. He will be respectful, and will not carry his blaster about, only his knife and his axe and both on his belt, holstered, or whatever appropriate means to carry and not appear hostile.

JJ will take special interest in seeing how their warriors work and train. He is curious to see if they have gliders or anything like that. He will also be happy to go on a hunt or do anything else of that nature.

If no one in the party is interested in talking to much JJ will not press or appear needy for contact. He instead will occupy himself with the aforementioned activities along with practicing and keeping his blades sharp. He will not practice with ranged weapons to conserve ammo.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby AntGibbs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 pm

JJ will of course salute Old Zeek as well during the Yazarian's song.

After the song JJ will say to the singing Yazarian, "Johnny Johnson will make sure that all those Pirates will pay in blood. John John gonna shove his blade into the heart of the Star Devil and watch the life seep from the son of a bitch's eyes. And we're gonna have fun doing it!"

He will then offer his hand for a handshake to confirm this.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby jedion357 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:09 am

OOC: @AntGibbs- you also got an emergency pack from the escape pod same as the ones the others got from the life boat so you have a polyvox, we might have overlooked updating your character sheet though. I have some record keeping to do this week that is not done so I'll check on that, I also remember that the emergency pack included an entry level gun but need to go back to that thread and see.

IC:
Kahn is a little bemused at the newcomer human who keeps referring to himself in the 3rd person. Not that he's going to complain about the company of a willing fighter who hates pirates as well. Even Kahn had had his personality quirks that had caused some concern among the team so far be it from him to say anything about the odd quirk in Johny.

He shares the rough tasting kurbunga hooch with Johny and pours out a salute to Old Zeek and sings the lament for a warrior fallen in battle. Old Zeek was not armed nor fighting when the pirate known as Skrag killed him but he was defiant not willing to knuckle under to the pirates. He had also been a war veteran and he deserved better than to be shot in the face and spaced out an airlock.

They had a survey mission to do here but Kahn was uncertain if that was even still on? Survey the planet for what? And Report to who? It was all shot to hell because of the presence of the pirates. The pirates. Johny was right, they needed to be dealt with. Their operation on this planet seemed to be on a large scale. One could make it his mission to eradicate the pirates and that would be a worthy mission.

When he was defrocked and expelled from the ranks of priest one of his clan did question him if he would declare the Family of One as life enemy but no he still loved his religion even if his religion no longer loved him. Some of the other members of his clan who had become scientist and doctors had chosen diseases as life enemies and labored their whole lives to defeat these foes. When Kahn became a doctor he had considered this as well but when he completed his psych training it seemed more to him that perhaps he might declare a social ill as life enemy and work to fix that. But these pirates, they had been preying on the primitives of this planet, marooned him here, tried to kill him, and succeeded in killing an acquaintance of his. They thought nothing of kidnapping and enslavement. These pirates are worthy of death. Yet he was a doctor, a councilor, and some time priest; to battle pirates called for a warrior not those things.

Why had that star ship captain given him a set of honor blades when he had fled from the yazirian colonies? Was it the will of the ONE spirit of Yazira? Kahn's clan had turned to the sciences, there had not been a bona fide warrior honored in their ranks in over a century because his clan was famous for the doctors and scientist it produced and the benefits it brought to the whole yazirian race. Yet he was disgraced and fallen from honor with his clan so what did it matter if he turned from the clan's path of science and medicine to become a warrior? Was he not a warrior son of Yazira? The battle rage, though long diminished in his race still pulsed in his heart and blood. For such a day as this was if not evident that the One had called a warrior son to Volturnus to right an injustice? To battle these pirates?

But he was just a doctor. Yet one day his path would cross with that of the Inquisitors and he had little doubts about whether they would be "live and let live" in attitude over him. That day would call for a warrior, perhaps this was the purpose of the One? To use these pirates as the hammer and Volturnus as the anvil to forge a weapon in Kahn for a greater purpose. He could battle the Inquisitors for their injustices that had come to light but Kahn felt he could never declare the church or its agents life enemy. No he would choose these pirates as life enemy and embrace the destiny that Yazira had brought him too.

Johny had largely sat quiet while Kahn had brooded over these thoughts but now he looked the odd human in the eye, "Yes, we're going to kill these pirates. The One has called a warrior son to this planet and that warrior has heard the call. I was born to a clan of doctors and scientist but felt my life was meant for something more. Because of that I became a priest and then an Inquisitor but was defrocked and expelled from the Family of One. My clan has turned its back on me and now all I have is the spirit of Yazira. You, Johny, are witness that I, Kahn gak Harkannon, take up the warriors call of Yazira and declare life enemy of these pirates. They or I will die, so help me Yazira."
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 am

FYI: the kurrabunga plan to execute the pirate captive in accordance with tribal law, for crimes against the tribe. method of execution is the garrote. You have a day or two game time to question him.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Gideon will approach the chief and bow with respect. He hands the chief the extra chronocom he lifted from the armored goon as a gift. The sky demons are easy to figure out in context, but something else the chief said puzzles him. "Tell me," he says, "what is an 'Ug'?"
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:Gideon will approach the chief and bow with respect. He hands the chief the extra chronocom he lifted from the armored goon as a gift. The sky demons are easy to figure out in context, but something else the chief said puzzles him. "Tell me," he says, "what is an 'Ug'?"

"The Ug, desert riders, we no like. They blaspheme our gods by riding them. The Jamison would not listen and went into their domain to find the sky chariot."

Thinking back to the idol you realize that its oddly crafted, a weird fusion of the kurabunga with something else, such that it is a therapod body style but with a kurabunga-ish head and hairy or rather the wood is carved to give the impression of hair.
jedion357
Referee

Postby AntGibbs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 pm

JJ smiles as Kahn makes his declaration. He says, "JJ don't know about no "One", but it is clear that some type of Providence has got us here and keeping us going. This "One" you believe in hates these evil pirates? If that's true then the One is alright with me."

JJ will knock back a little more of the alcohol and smile at Kahn. He'll pull out a bit of the chewing tobacco taken from the Pirates (if no one else wanted it) and take a small dip of it. "Those guys like cheap shit. Yuck." After a time he'll take the chew out, take another drink, smile at Kahn, and then amble back to the hut and go to bed.
AntGibbs
Scout

Postby AntGibbs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

JJ will also inquire about the "Desert Riders" with the Kurabunga.

JJ will also make sure to do his exercises as best as he can trying to keep strong.
AntGibbs
Scout

Next

Return to The Adventure