Into the Volturnian Desert

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Re: Into the Volturnian Desert

Postby jedion357 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:14 am

Keeno clearly doesn't understand the concept and or the polyvox doesn't yet have a word for jerk or jerky. Keeno communicates that meat must be roasted or smoked or it goes bad he seems to thing that leaving it out in the sun will ruin it but the knowledge that the kurabunga smoke meat gives you a clue that jerking the meat is probably possible.

[ooc: do you consider vrusk to equally eat raw meat vs cooked or to prefer one over the other?]

Upon the report of Kriss and Rigel about the possibility of more blood on Deck 2, Kahn lays the mummy in the locker he removed from the air lock foyer, reverently closes the door and re-enters the ship. Making his way to deck 2 he analyzes the blood sample and confirms that it is blood and that there was two donors: a human and the yazirian. After cross checking the scans from the mummy he announces that the human blood belongs to him.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:04 am

rattraveller wrote:Grekka asks Keeno, "Have you ever tried to jerk the meat by the hot desert sun?"

And the game has officially gone X-rated...

BIC --- Gideon wraps up the water purifier, content that it will be a good supplement if the group starts to run low on liquid. Not that it will be much use out here in the desert...but there should be water somewhere in the vicinity of the Bachanda Forest.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby rattraveller » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:25 pm

OOC Since the Vrusk are supposed to eat by popping chunks of food in their mouths with either long forks or something like chop sticks I believe cutting food is more important than cooking so raw food like sushi would work. Probable they use something like wasabi to kill the bacteria.
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:56 pm

OOC --- actually the mandibles hold the food while the inner mouth does the actual eating. As far as transporting the food to the mandibles, utensils are optional...depending upon the environment and who the vrusk may be trying to impress. ;)
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby corkman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Kriss goes through everything that they find for something useful to help them along or give them some kind of answers they may need. He tucks away the map they find in the officer's quarters and when Rigel and him get into the Captain's Quarters, he inspects the personal escape pod in the room. "What do you think Rigel? Should we open it up?"
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Postby Once Far Off » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 pm

"Can't hurt." Rigel replies, then winces at the thought of something springing up and killing them both. "Probably should not have said that...bad luck... How about ok instead?" Rigel moves to open the pod.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:27 am

At the back of their minds Rigel and Kriss have to wonder at a ships captain that reserves the only escape vehicle from his ship to his private access. So far this is the only escape pod access they've seen and the only deck left is the bridge.

The decision to open it is stymied almost immediately by a security device: a numeric key pad. Kriss pulls his technician tool kit and lays on the floor while Rigel holds a light for him to work. Its old tech like much of the ship so he thinks bypassing it should be a snap but any ease of gained from this key pad being old and similar to stuff he's seen before is ameliorated by the fact that he's working in total darkness.

"Ah frag!" exclaims Kriss.
"What?"

[failed skill check- you cant open it immediately but with time you'll get it- 30 to 40 minutes]

The rest of the team arrives on deck two and briefly watches Kriss struggle with the escape pod hatch before someone asks, "Should we leave them to this and go on to deck one?"

[edit: though the rest of the ship is pretty dead except for the temporary light source Dalmar wired in engineering. the escape pod does seem to have power as there plainly is electricity powering the key pad.]
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Once Far Off » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:04 am

"We're already here. Might as well finish." Rigel muses.
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby corkman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 am

"We shouldn't need more than the two of us here if the rest of you want to go out and check the bridge," Kriss adds as he looks for another tool in his kit to assist with helping to get the electronic lock open.
corkman
Ranger

Postby jedion357 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Gekka in her post on watch outside the ship spots a dark spot on the horizon but cannot make out what it is.

Keeno holds up a skinned and headless burrower for Gekka's inspection.

The rest of the team leaves Kriss and Rigel to breaking into the escape pod and climbs to the top deck.

Its a fairly typical bridge layout and there is some light here from a rent in the hull not much more than 2 cm wide at its widest. Sand has entered the bridge by way of the rent and a substantial amount covers the floor and the area of the deck near the rent. Its plain that the pirates scavenged this deck removed all chairs and opened some of the consoles to rip out parts wires and back up power packs. They also powered the overhead light with one of those back up power packs the same way as in engineering. The decks parabattery has been removed and access panels to the computer core were removed. The core itself was there and it looks like a half hearted attempt was made to remove it before someone fired a bullet into it. Its a disappointing find.

Curiously someone else after the fact wired a series of back up power packs, a key pad and a small display screen into the computer core- the power packs are dead now.

[OOC- I thought that one of the PCs had computer skills but I'm not finding it in wiki character sheets- someone shout out if I just missed it]
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 am

Gideon searches the bridge looking for the controls for and atmoprobes but nothing stands out to him.

Dalmar examines the wrecked computer core, it seems to him that someone managed to power up the computer and access it even after a bullet was fired into it. He's sure though that it will take someone with specialized computer skills to do so again.

Gekka keeps watching the horizon and the dark spot grows a little to become a smudge.

Rigel and Kriss finally get the escape pod door open. The pod's internal lights come on and the illumination spills out into the cabin. The emergency survival pack is gone and the bottom of the pod is littered with food wrappers and an empty water pack. Something half buried in the wrappers catches both their eyes; a leather scroll like the one left by the first expedition at the kurabunga village.

The scroll claims to have been written by the previous party's dralasite, Grod, who explains that he and Jamison found the abandoned pirate vessel and took shelter in it. However, the next day the pirates returned to strip the ship of parts and fittings. Jamison was captured but Grod hid in the escape pod for four days. Even with his supplies of water dwindling he waited out the pirates. When he thought it was safe he ventured to the bridge and attempted to access the wrecked computer core. Despite the bullet that was fired into it he did manage to access some of the computer's data. Either due to damage from the bullet or as a security measure there was no information on the pirate's landing field/facility. He did find information on the drop buildings that belonged to his expedition and that they were relatively close by being used by the pirates. As best he could he managed to extrapolate a heading and recorded that for anyone that might find this record. His water is about spent and he doesn't believe he will get out of the desert alive. The final line of his log ends abruptly like he was interrupted however its clear he had time to conceal the leather scroll in the escape pod.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Once Far Off » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:08 pm

At the mention of drop buildings occupied by pirates, Rigel perks up. "We're going to have to face them at some point." he says to Kriss. "I wish we were better armed. Who knows how many are in there. But if we're ever going to get out of here, we're going to have to face them, and steal a ride somehow."
Once Far Off
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:16 pm

OOC --- I'd forgotten that Gideon had a key from the forest pirates. He will look for a place to use it aboard the ship.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby corkman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 am

Once Far Off wrote:At the mention of drop buildings occupied by pirates, Rigel perks up. "We're going to have to face them at some point." he says to Kriss. "I wish we were better armed. Who knows how many are in there. But if we're ever going to get out of here, we're going to have to face them, and steal a ride somehow."

A look of seriousness comes across Kriss' face when the mention of taking on the pirates head on in their base or bases. "I didn't sign up to be a soldier, I'm not one!" Kriss looks around to make sure no one else is around and then whispers to Rigel, "Can you keep a secret Rigel? I haven't had the cleanest background. I did a lot of things that weren't the right way to do things by societies standards."
corkman
Ranger

Postby jedion357 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:32 pm

The key looks like it would fit the air lock access of this ship [essentially unlocking it], there may have been a slot for it on the bridge but hard to tell with the wreckage wrought by the salvaging of parts and what have you.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Fumbling around looking for the environmental controls at the bridge, Gideon's hand brushes up against the pouch he stuffed the key into fromteh forest pirates. He pulls it out and snickers, "HAH! Some security these pirates had. Here I had a key to the airlock and a group of misfits such as ourselves managed to bypass even that..."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:Fumbling around looking for the environmental controls at the bridge, Gideon's hand brushes up against the pouch he stuffed the key into fromteh forest pirates. He pulls it out and snickers, "HAH! Some security these pirates had. Here I had a key to the airlock and a group of misfits such as ourselves managed to bypass even that..."

Its an electronic lock and without power to the lock you cant be sure if it was coded for this ship- the pirates have stripped this ship to the point that they figured it was devoid of value
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 am

Recap: You discovered the downed pirate vessel but its been stripped of engines, assault rockets, even furnishings. A few things were overlooked- a SEU clip in a busted laser welder, and a small message from the dralasite member of the first expedition that Jamison was captured by the pirates and that he did manage to recover some data from the computer core despite someone having fired a bullet into it and he's provided you with with a simple map that has three points on it and some geometry that identifies the downed ship, the kurabunga village and the drop building from the first expedition that the pirates are using as an outpost. Gideon has also determined that the key he's carrying might open an pirate vessel- possibly Captain Skragg's since it was taken from him.

Grekka has been observing a dark smudge on the horizon that is growing.

Grekka calls Gideon to get his opinion on what she is seeing.

Despite his origin in the polar regions of his home world he intuitively jumps to the anser, "Dust Storm. We best get the water and the robot inside the ship or we could loose them."

They manage to move the water and the robot into the airlock foyer and the inner air lock is secured against the storm. As the storm hit the wind howls and whistles through the rents in deck one. Some sand is penetrating the hull and adding to what is already on the floor. Dalmar works on powering some lights in the areas the team camps out in. Rigel and Kriss seem to be spending more time together talking. Kahn engages Keeno to learn more about the kurabunga culture and religion. He also instructs the kurabunga on some better gramar in Pan Gal and teaches him some basic things about the equipment they use. Keeno manages to graps some of the basics of electricity though he thinks of it in terms of magic.

[OOC: note your character can sleep or do something; in this situation with a dust storm blowing outside for who knows how long and poor illumination most people will sleep the time away I'll move things along in about 48 hours and end the sand storm if no one posts.]

Kahn will spend his time talking to JJ about his experiences as a prisoner of the pirates to learn as much as he can about the pirates since they are now his life enemy. He will also spend time talking to Keeno and try to keep the young kurabunga occupied teaching him basic knowledge they all take for granted. Kahn and Keeno spend some time practicing with Kahn's practice zamira (blunted edge).
jedion357
Referee

Postby rattraveller » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Grekka has spent quite a bit of time working on the robot so she is confident it is in good shape. Since it doesn't look like they are going anywhere for a while she will get some shut eye and try not to think of sand in her joints. Don't ya just hate the feeling of sand in your joints.
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Dalmar will wander around the ship for a bit with his flashlight while the storm howls outside poking into nooks and crannies, looking under bunks and counter, etc. Generally explorering to see if the pirates that stripped the ship managed to miss anything of interest. After canvasing the ship thoroughly, he bunk down to sleep out the storm.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure