Please Don't Reply to the Spam

Threads for playing out the game

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Please Don't Reply to the Spam

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:43 am

Why shouldn't I reply to spam?

Because every account that posts spam clicks that little "Notify me when a reply is posted" toggle at the bottom. As soon as something is posted in it, the spamming begins in earnest. While a lot of spam gets deleted, there's an interesting trend:

When a mod or administrator checks the ISP of a spammer, they may discover that there are thousands of different ISPs, and after a good night's spamming, we might get thirty posts from thirty ISPs. After just ONE thread is replied to, we'll get sixty or so, over half of which are from the same ISP. Guess which one?

If you said "whatever ISP is the same as the one in the thread that was replied to," you are correct. Not only does replying to a spam post or spammed thread increase the workload for the mods and administrators, it consequently rewards you with more spam.

Not to mention, another lucrative market for spammers is the selling of information regarding active websites. See, all this time you probably thought it was just a bunch of losers living in their parents' basements with lots of time on their hands...

Aren't you guys using Captcha?

Yes we are. But it isn't as foolproof as many think.

Why is captcha not as foolproof as I think?

Well, apart from the extremely obvious, it doesn't work against live spammers. Yep, that's what we are getting hit by: live spammers. No, nobody in the west would do this for a living, but in places were three bucks a week will keep a roof over your head, you'd better believe this has become a booming industry: use robots to find forums and shoot links to live people to get past the captcha codes. Subscribe to the threads and turn it back over to the robots who wait patiently for a hit.

You don't even have to speak the same language: "e-mail address" looks pretty much the same in all languages, and simply match the Captcha to the little shapes on your keyboard, and boom-- you're a spamming machine.

What can we do to help?

As the title suggests, don't reply to any thread with spam in it.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Re: Please Don't Reply to the Spam

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:44 am

That said, here's the link in this same forum section that inspired those words: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=380
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:52 pm

And I've removed all the spam posts (for now). I'll try to be better about removing them sooner. And I'll also look into making it harder for them to get on in the first place.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby jedion357 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:48 pm

So once a thread gets spam, like say a game thread, we should lock it and simply start a new one?
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Maybe. I delete the accounts and the posts so it may stay clean but if they come back, locking it down may be a good idea.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Return to The Adventure