Bringing Home the Bacon

Moderator: jedion357

Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby jedion357 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 am

Show me the money!

This has been at the back of my head and with the game getting started I'll have to make a decision about it.

1. The general pay scales from the rules are ok (especially for this type of RPG) but they don't really reflect a military pay scale.

2. I wanted to incorporate pay bonuses for extra training and stuff hence the Scout school and medic certification stuff I wrote into character generation.

3. I wanted pay to reflect rank too for a bit of realism

Rulings:
A. Pay will reflect the KH pay scale for the highest level of position your are qualified for. i.e. a star pilot lvl 3 who also has astrogator lvl 2 will get paid on the pilot scale lvl 3. Both officer and enlist will be paid by level off those tables. Enlisted not possessing star ship skills will have a basic RM pay track (table will be forth coming) a little less then the lowest star ship skills pay track.

B. Characters above entry level rank will collect a rank bonus based on the rank (a table will be forth coming).

C. Dual star ship skills- Having a second star ship skill will pay a bonus of 10cr X the level of the lowest of the 2- available to both officer and enlisted.

D. Since enlisted personnel are "disadvantaged" by rank and the officers will get a steeper pay bonus for rank players running an enlisted character can make up the difference with training cerifications that officers wont get. Scout School, Medic, demolitions, ect. one character can qualify for multiple certs. Your lvl as a Royal Marine will be determined by basic combat skills but having demolitions and medic skills would qualify you for 2 pay bonuses. The bonus rate for these is 5cr X level of skill or skill set.

i think these rules will keep everyone within shouting distance of each other pay wise and will result in characters who with equal time in the game will have similar buying power despite their ranks.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
User avatar
jedion357
Referee
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby Will » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:12 pm

One more thing to consider, jedi: Honoraria.

In RL, each order of knighthood and at least the higher levels of decorations confer a monthly income(e.g. the Congressional Medal of Honor is an extra 1,000/month(?) pension for life).
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
User avatar
Will
Station Master
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am
Location: West Hellhole, Oklahoma

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby jedion357 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:46 pm

I was thinking of that but from a fictional source- Thanks for the tip.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
User avatar
jedion357
Referee
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 am

Something else to consider: room and board. Without such expenses (as most military structures include), the pay doesn't have to be as high as it would in the civilian sector.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Image
User avatar
Shadow Shack
Station Master
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Volturnian Desert (LV, NV)

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby jedion357 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 am

Shadow Shack wrote:Something else to consider: room and board. Without such expenses (as most military structures include), the pay doesn't have to be as high as it would in the civilian sector.

I was thinking to keep the AD rule of x amount of money/week for living expenses. its quick and easy and prevents tracking every credit. I'd even say that monorail cost could be assumed to be covered with that and only worry about charging cab or vehicle rentals.

on the other hand if we ran a campaign and the characters "retired" with a lot of money that wouldn't be the end of the world as I'd consider running a Drammune Run inspired adventure where they picked up a ship, if there was interest.

One of the things I realized early on is that many of the traditional things that SF PCs spent their money on they wouldn't or shouldn't in this campaign-as the military provides tons of big boy toys to play with- they don't get to keep those toys but they are at their disposal. So with the addition of Bills skilled frontier rules this wont be a high powered skills campaign but because of the premise of the campaign it is a high powered equipment campaign. PCs aboard ship will have a reasonably well stocked armory at their disposal and it will get restocked every time they pull into port.

It also means I'll have to get a handle of just how powerful that makes the PCs and adjust the op4 accordingly.

I don't see anyone wasting their credits on the time honored pursuit gambling such that patrol time in the outer system will be low expenses and earned income. So I do expect that people will spend their money on personal toys.
I've considered just running this as episodic adventures and handle the time in between with a post describing 4 months worth of boring patrol duty, dump the salary for that time into PC bank accounts and move to the next episode. The PCs careers can be described as months of sheer boredom interspersed with brief moments of screaming excitement.

So its to be expected that PCs will have lots of cash to spend on personal stuff.

EDIT: I just reread the cost of living rule from AD- it says 1/2 of what you make- you could assume that cost of transportation at low levels of pay that PCs naturally take the monorail and at higher levels the take a cab or other and dispense with tracking that. If a PC had a habit of smoking cigars that would be covered just list cigars on the character sheet. as well as money lost in the Friday night poker game and a few drinks at a bar.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
User avatar
jedion357
Referee
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby Will » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:23 am

jedion357 wrote:
Shadow Shack wrote:Something else to consider: room and board. Without such expenses (as most military structures include), the pay doesn't have to be as high as it would in the civilian sector.

I was thinking to keep the AD rule of x amount of money/week for living expenses. its quick and easy and prevents tracking every credit. I'd even say that monorail cost could be assumed to be covered with that and only worry about charging cab or vehicle rentals.

on the other hand if we ran a campaign and the characters "retired" with a lot of money that wouldn't be the end of the world as I'd consider running a Drammune Run inspired adventure where they picked up a ship, if there was interest.

One of the things I realized early on is that many of the traditional things that SF PCs spent their money on they wouldn't or shouldn't in this campaign-as the military provides tons of big boy toys to play with- they don't get to keep those toys but they are at their disposal. So with the addition of Bills skilled frontier rules this wont be a high powered skills campaign but because of the premise of the campaign it is a high powered equipment campaign. PCs aboard ship will have a reasonably well stocked armory at their disposal and it will get restocked every time they pull into port.

It also means I'll have to get a handle of just how powerful that makes the PCs and adjust the op4 accordingly.

I don't see anyone wasting their credits on the time honored pursuit gambling such that patrol time in the outer system will be low expenses and earned income. So I do expect that people will spend their money on personal toys.
I've considered just running this as episodic adventures and handle the time in between with a post describing 4 months worth of boring patrol duty, dump the salary for that time into PC bank accounts and move to the next episode. The PCs careers can be described as months of sheer boredom interspersed with brief moments of screaming excitement.

So its to be expected that PCs will have lots of cash to spend on personal stuff.

EDIT: I just reread the cost of living rule from AD- it says 1/2 of what you make- you could assume that cost of transportation at low levels of pay that PCs naturally take the monorail and at higher levels the take a cab or other and dispense with tracking that. If a PC had a habit of smoking cigars that would be covered just list cigars on the character sheet. as well as money lost in the Friday night poker game and a few drinks at a bar.


IC: Someone mention poker?! Anyone for some Thesus Hold 'Em?!

OOC: Makes perfect sense, jedi. Seems you've got things in hand.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
User avatar
Will
Station Master
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am
Location: West Hellhole, Oklahoma

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby Shadow Shack » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:57 am

About the only serious expense I predict is Grelude's reimbursements to fellow crew mates who post bail as a result of his penchant for brawling...
Forever Three Hoverfans

Image
User avatar
Shadow Shack
Station Master
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Volturnian Desert (LV, NV)

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby Will » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:About the only serious expense I predict is Grelude's reimbursements to fellow crew mates who post bail as a result of his penchant for brawling...


IC: Who voggin' said I was bailing you out?

OOC: :lol:
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
User avatar
Will
Station Master
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am
Location: West Hellhole, Oklahoma

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby jedion357 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:54 am

Pay scales are as such:
Knight Hawks payscale/ skill level and for the special case AD pay/skill level chart.

Officer Rank bonus' are :
Midshipman: 10
Junior Grade Lieutenant: 20
Lieutenant: 30
Captain: 40
Commander: 50

Non Commissioned Officers:
Spacer: 5
Spacer 1st Class: 10
Petty Officer: 15
Senior PO: 20
Chief PO: 25
Senior Chief PO: 30

NCP training Bonuses: 5 X skill level per certification: Demolitions, Medic, Scout and etc.

Will made a good point about the honoraria awards but I'm leaving those till I need to make a decision on them concerning how a PC is paid. A minor NPC that qualifies for one of those only needs to have the amount of money I think they need to have.

EDIT1: I may need to change how AJax is paid as he's the only one without a ship skill and for now I paid him on the Medi scale from AD. Thats ok for now but his character concept is not medic so thats not going to work in the long term but for now we'll use the medic pay scale based off his highest shooting combat skill - though I may have an NPC officer pressure him in game to cross train to ships weapons (rocket weapons)

EDIT 2: As per the AD rule on character expenses I'll be just charging 50% against your weekly pay rate for when the characters are out on patrol. or if someone has bought a hovercycle and is storing it while out on patrol.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
User avatar
jedion357
Referee
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby jedion357 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 am

Tentative Payday (till I see if how Players spend their EXP and whether PCs should be paid at higher skill levels) covering the past events and total of 3 months (standard) on patrol and 1 month ground of station side. Standard week is 7 days but PCs paid for 5 out of 7 in a week though ship board duty could likely mean not really getting 2 days off/ week. These are the lowest amount you'll be paid unless your EXP expenditures change things. Demolitions, Medic and Scout certifications apply only to NCOs (small measure to keep NCO in shouting distance of officers pay wise).

If your numbers change I'll edit this post otherwise I'll post the money to character sheets in about a week; just posting the tentative numbers so you can be thinking about what you want to spend it on.

Alyssa: Level 2 piloting 175/day, Midshipman rank bonus 10/day, Total 185cr/ day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(185/Day x 60 days= 11,100cr) + (185/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1850cr) = 12,950cr

Tanar: Level 2 Astrogator 140/day, Midshipman rank bonus 10/day, Total: 150cr/day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(150/Day x 60 days= 8,400cr) + (150/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,500cr) = 9,900cr

Ike: Level 1 Engineer 120/ day, Midshipman Rank bonus 10/ day, Total 130/ day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(130/Day x 60 days= 7,800cr) + (130/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,300cr) = 9,100cr

Grelude: Level 1 Gunner 100/day, Spacer rank bonus 5/day, Demolitions Certification 5/day, Total 110/day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(110/Day x 60 days= 6,600cr) + (110/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,100cr) = 7,700cr

Savrax: Level 1 Gunner 100/day, Midshipman Rank bonus 10/day, Total 110/day
50 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(110/Day x 50 days= 5,500cr) + (110/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,100cr) = 6,600cr

Mantin: Level 1 Gunner 100/day, Spacer rank bonus 5/day, Medic Certification 5/day, Total 110/day
50 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(110/Day x 50 days= 5,500cr) + (110/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,100cr) = 6,600cr

Ajax: Level 1 Pay 70/day, Spacer Rank bonus 5/day, Scout & Medic Cert 10/day, Total 85/day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(85/Day x 60 days= 5,100cr) + (85/day X 20 days/ 50%= 850cr) = 5,950cr

Niss: Level 1 Pay 70/day, Spacer Rank bonus 5/day, Medic Cert 5/day, Total 80/day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(80/Day x 60 days= 4,800cr) + (80/day X 20 days/ 50%= 800cr) = 5,600cr

Dudd: Level 1 Engineer 120/ day, Spacer Rank bonus 5/ day, Total 125/ day
60 days on patrol (no expenses) + 20 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(125/Day x 60 days= 7,500cr) + (125/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,250cr) = 8,750cr
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
User avatar
jedion357
Referee
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Bringing Home the Bacon

Postby jedion357 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 am

Payday after chapter 2.1

Alyssa Blue: Level 2 piloting 175/day, Midshipman rank bonus 10/day, Total 185cr/ day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28days off ship (-50% expenses)
(185/Day x 20 days= 3,700 cr) + (185/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,850 cr) = 5,550 cr

Sir Tanar Daagron: Level 2 Astrogator 140/day, Lt. JG rank bonus 20/day, Total: 160cr/day
28 days on shipl (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(160/Day x 20 days= 3,200 cr) + (160/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,600 cr) = 4,800cr

Savrax Gunus: Level 2 Gunner 120/ day, Midshipman Rank bonus 10/ day, Total 130/ day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(130/Day x 20 days= 2,600cr) + (130/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,300 cr) = 3,900 cr

Grelude: Level 1 Gunner 100/day, Spacer rank bonus 5/day, Demolitions Certification 5/day, Total 110/day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(110/Day x 20 days= 2,200 cr) + (110/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,100 cr) = 3,300 cr

Mantin 'Cht Chang: Level 2 Gunner 120/day, Spacer rank bonus 5/day, Medic Certification 5/day, Total 130/day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(110/Day x 20 days= 2,600 cr) + (110/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,300 cr) = 3,900 cr

Allyson Drake: Level 1 Pay 100/day, Rank bonus 10/day, Total 110/day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(110/Day x 20 days= 2,200 cr) + (110/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,100 cr) = 3,300 cr

Michael “Bodger” Rays: Level 1 Engineer Pay 120/day, Rank bonus 10/day, Total 130/day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(130/Day x 20 days= 2,600 cr) + (130/day X 20 days/ 50%= 1,300 cr) = 3,900 cr

Niss: Level 1 Pay 70/day, Spacer Rank bonus 5/day, Medic Cert 5/day, Total 80/day
28 days on patrol (no expenses) + 28 days off ship (-50% expenses)
(80/Day x 20 days= 1,600 cr) + (80/day X 20 days/ 50%= 800 cr) = 2,400 cr

Lord Liam Mowbray: Back pay owed to Liam finally came through after all the red tape: 3,000 Cr

I believe I got everything correct and updated in your character sheets.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
User avatar
jedion357
Referee
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Boston


Return to Player Characters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php