Pre-Adventure: In the Briefing Room

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Pre-Adventure: In the Briefing Room

Postby cliff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Gren stands quitely and listens.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 pm

"Guns in the doorways, not a bad idea. Although you should be the ones doing the boarding, not the other way around." Lee says with a smile. "The ship already has an Installation Security program in it's computer so tying in a few weapons mounts wouldn't be an issue at all. Once we get underway we can call ahead and have them installed while we're in route. There are only two ways into the ship, through the main airlock and through the cargo bay to get into the elevator shaft. We could probably put one emplacement in the main airlock and two in the cargo bay. What type of weapons do you want? Magazine fed machine guns, or Lasers powered of the ships engines?

"Medical. What about it? You are fully covered. Actually we have our own in-house medical care when you are in Truane's Star or in the same system with the Morning Glory. Terl Obar is as good of a surgeon as they come anywhere in the Frontier and personally takes care of employee's when he can. Obar Enterprises has a small hospital and full medical staff at our company HQ on Pale station and the Morning Glory is equipped with a full medical bay that is effectively a floating hospital as well. Anywhere else in the Frontier, just get yourself in to the nearest hospital if you need it. We'll pick up the coverage. Not to mention the fact that Gren here," nodding toward the Yazarian, "is probably as good a surgeon as Terl. He's a Yazarian though, just like Terl, so if you give him grief, he might just tear you apart and then put you right back together to see if you learned your lesson, " Lee says with a small chuckle.

"Terl actually did that once, one of the few times I ever saw him loose his cool. Funniest thing I ever saw. We'd been in a big fight and a lot of people were banged up, both on our team and civilians. There was this one guy, a civilian, that was the biggest whiner in the world. I just wanted to smack him. He had some minor injuries, cuts and bruises from hiding during the firefight, I think some piece of the ceiling fell on him or something. Anyway, we had people with broken bones, laser burns, bullet holes, you get the picture, that needed attention a lot sooner than this guy and Terl was the only surgeon around. The guy was complaining and demanding immediate attention and Terl finally had enough. He walked over to the guy and told him to hold out his arm. Mr. Whiner did and he had a minor cut with a little blood. No big deal. Terl is holding the guys arm at elbow and wrist looking at the cut and he turns to the guy and says. 'You want treatment before these others, then you need a wound more severe' and before the guy realizes what is going on, Terl brings his knee up and the guys arm down and cracks it right in half, both bones. You could hear the snap all the way across the room. A look of shock passes over the guys face and then he faints dead away. Terl looks back at the arm and says 'You're right, that does need some quick attention.' and proceeds to set and bandage the arm. I was rolling on the floor laughing. When the guy woke up he was quite quiet and didn't complain about anything else. You could see that he wanted to, but then he'd see Terl and clamp his mouth shut.

"That was sidetrack. Back to the point. You have Gren here and of course you are a corpsman as well," he says to Malcom, "so field repair shouldn't be an issue, just keep your medkit stocked."
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:08 pm

As Lee's story comes to a close, B'Looone asks, "presumably all of the normal items associated with running, maintaining, and repairing a ship will be aboard: engineering tools and supplies, space suits and magnetic boots for each of us, that sort of thing?"
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:38 am

Terl Obar wrote:"Guns in the doorways, not a bad idea. Although you should be the ones doing the boarding, not the other way around." Lee says with a smile.

"True, I just like to keep all the bases covered."

"The ship already has an Installation Security program in it's computer so tying in a few weapons mounts wouldn't be an issue at all. Once we get underway we can call ahead and have them installed while we're in route. There are only two ways into the ship, through the main airlock and through the cargo bay to get into the elevator shaft. We could probably put one emplacement in the main airlock and two in the cargo bay. What type of weapons do you want? Magazine fed machine guns, or Lasers powered of the ships engines?

"A heavy laser's garaunteed to burn a baddie down in his tracks...but a machine gun will leave him and his friends jonesing to patch multiple vacc suit holes in a hurry, if they survive in the first place. As far as weapons go, I'd prefer to have a choice based on the situation and simply have standard swivel mounts ready to accept whatever we opt for in a situation, one inside each hatch of the airlock. And a pair in the cargo bay as you suggested may not be a bad idea either. I already have ol' chatterbox at my side here, so a heavy laser tied to the ship's power would be all that's needed, unless anyone here would prefer a gyrojet weapon as a third option."

He takes a final finger sandwich and says, "And perhaps a few extra ammo belts for the machine gun."

Bonehead wrote:As Lee's story comes to a close, B'Looone asks, "presumably all of the normal items associated with running, maintaining, and repairing a ship will be aboard: engineering tools and supplies, space suits and magnetic boots for each of us, that sort of thing?"

"Mmffff..." Sebastian says with a mouthful of sandwich. He gulps it down. "Yeah, a vac suit...I seem to have left my MDD issue suit behind. I'll need to acquire one before we set off.

"One final issue, and I'm only speaking on my behalf here as I'm in the dark as to the others' fields of expertise, but is anyone here checked out for starship piloting? I'm qualified for system ship or star fighter duty but jump-capable starships are a whole 'nuther can of slithers."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 am

Maria smiles when she hears the specs of the ship they're going to use...a cross between the fighters she's flown and the assault scouts she was being checked out on before...the Incident....

She prefers not to think about that, instead listening as the Minotaur and the Innie blob discuss internal defenses, while Malcom, pansy that he is, worries about medical coverage...that's something she prefers to think about when she needs it, not before, but that's just her...

'Sides, she hates doctors....

She almost misses the Minotaur's last question.

"I can use a refresher en route," she speaks up,"but I spent some time on an assault scout's sky bridge before I parted ways with Ral'Ik'Ka."
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:48 am

"Okay, how does this sound. Four generic weapon mounts, two at the main airlock and two in the cargo bay, each set up to handle either a heavy laser running off ships power or machine gun with a big 2000 round magazine. I hate running out of ammo when I need it. We'll provided two of each weapon and 2k rounds for each of the guns. You can pick which guns go in which mounts. You can keep your chatterbox with you or mount it in a third position instead of a laser as you see fit.

"Vac suits. That is already taken care of. If you don't already have one, we'll get you fitted out en route while we are on the Morning Glory. We have quite a selection actually and will get one adjusted just right for you. They will transfer to the Dart with you once we get to Truane's Star. In addition, you will all be issued spacesuit armor, a rocket pack with an extra load of fuel, magnetic boots, two extra suit life support refills, a spacesuit anchor and as many extra suit patches as you would like. Any of that you use up on your missions you can get resupplied back at base.

"Other supplies for the ship. The Dart has two Engineer Toolkits, a pair of Laser Power Torches and half a dozen extra insuits in one of the storage lockers on the Engineering deck. There is also a maintenance robot for helping to maintain the ship and engine. Your engines will be fully loaded with three fuel pellets and you will have an extra three pellets in a shielded locker on the engineering deck as well.

"Pilot ratings, I figured one of you would bring that up sooner or later. Normally a ship of this size and design requires a level two certification to fly. However, the Dart was designed specifically to be easy to operate. As such, a pilot with a level one certification can still operate it but with a few restrictions. First, you are limited to an ADF of three and a MR of 2. That's probably a bit more performance that what you were limited to on the Assault Scout. The Dart is smaller and was specifically designed for this, that's what gives you the boost. Second, you cannot make interstellar jumps. That won't be an issue as we have several things that need to be done in the Trunane's Star system initially anyway and by the time you are done with those I'm sure you'll have gained enough experience with the Dart to make your level two certification.

"Now there is one upside. Since we have two pilots, if they are both at the helm, working together, you will be able to get full ADF and MR capability out of the ship. You still can't make interstellar jumps but you won't take a handling performance hit.

"We'll set both of you up with a simulation on the Morning Glory's auxiliary bridge so you can get a bit of a feel for the Dart, but you'll get to play with the real thing soon enough.

"Okay, we can continue this discussion en route. Unless anyone has any really pressing question that the answers to which would make them change their mind about tagging along we'll call this meeting adjourned." He glances at his chronocom. "It's 14:22 now. We'll be done loading the Morning Glory at 18:00 and ready to get going. Let's meet at the observation gallery to docking bay A-3 at 17:00 and get you all on board. That will give you about 2 and a half hours to gather up your gear and pick up any last minute things you might need. Any last questions?"
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby estradling » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 am

When the question was asked about pilots Leo shook his head. "I'm a navigator. Between astrogation and orienteering I can plot a course just about anywhere."

He wasn't really interested in the talk about guns and weapons, but he understood there importance. He was more interested in how the 'crew' was already shaking out. So far he heard of a doc, pilot, and what he assumed was a weapons man plus himself. That really only left the need for an engineer, who might fill that role quite easily.

The boss's statement that there were two pilots, helped clear things up a bit, and Leo wondered if their might be a second astrogator? Probably not he didn't see anyone that look like what he thought one would look like... the rest were most likely engineering and weapons he assumed.

When the Dralasite wrapped things up, Leo had no 'earth moving' questions he just wanted more details about... well everything.

It wasn't going to take him 2 and a half hour to pack and get to the observation gallery. So he chose to hang out and see what else he might learn.
estradling
Scout

Postby umungus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:09 am

Ting looks up from his papers and pipes up......

"All this is good talk about logistics of weapons and mounts and boarding. The question still remains, "What exactly is our first mission in Truane's Star System?"
umungus
Scout

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:17 pm

"Weapons list sounds good to me, and ditto on the vacc suit."

"Ah, a second pilot..." Sebastian looks about the room at the others assembled here. "So who'll I be flipping credits with over the left seat occupancy?"

He looks back to Lee, with a slightly puzzled look. "Things might be different here, I've never left the Theseus system...but at Androgeus Station (the fortified station orbiting Minotaur) the A-berths are reserved for SpaceFleet."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:"Weapons list sounds good to me, and ditto on the vacc suit."

"Ah, a second pilot..." Sebastian looks about the room at the others assembled here. "So who'll I be flipping credits with over the left seat occupancy?"

He looks back to Lee, with a slightly puzzled look. "Things might be different here, I've never left the Theseus system...but at Androgeus Station (the fortified station orbiting Minotaur) the A-berths are reserved for SpaceFleet."

"Best two out of three?" Maria asks in reply. "I get to use my trick credit coin, of course."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Malcom fills out all the paperwork and hands it over. Upon hearing that Maria is a pilot he thinks "Great, I won't have to fight the girl for the laser pod seat!"

"Nope, I don't have any more questions. I'm set to go." Malcom replies when Lee asks if there are any more questions.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby cliff » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Gren nods his head gently as Leelab speaks of Terl, and cracks a faint smile at the "Broken Arm" story. When all seems done Gren speaks up, "I presume there is a sick bay of sorts and medical supplies on board?...If not, I'll just set up shop in Malcom's bunk." Gren nods his head towards Malcom as he finishes this statement.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Will wrote:"Best two out of three?" Maria asks in reply. "I get to use my trick credit coin, of course."

"Ah, so you'll be at my side. We'll have plenty of time to get to know each other. If we must bunk together in a pilot's cabin, I'll be frank and say that I have no problem being on the bottom."

It was a lame attempt at charm, but with Maria being a hoverbiker he's sure she'll see the dry humor behind it all. He may have to refrain form using the term "cockpit" though...
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:22 pm

cliff wrote:"I presume there is a sick bay of sorts and medical supplies on board?...If not, I'll just set up shop in Malcom's bunk." Gren nods his head towards Malcom as he finishes this statement.

"Hey there now Old man, Ain't nobody using my bunk for a sick bay!"
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby cliff » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Gren gives Malcom a long, cold, hard stare. “First of all, do not ever insult me again be calling me a MAN. You can call me an Old Yaz, the yazarian, Gren, hell you can even call me Doc, but if you ever call me a MAN again, you’ll need to find a good Bionical Engineer to make you new arms for the ones I’ll rip out of your shoulder sockets!” Gren Continues with the long, cold, hard stare at Malcom.
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Will » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 am

Shadow Shack wrote:
Will wrote:"Best two out of three?" Maria asks in reply. "I get to use my trick credit coin, of course."

"Ah, so you'll be at my side. We'll have plenty of time to get to know each other. If we must bunk together in a pilot's cabin, I'll be frank and say that I have no problem being on the bottom."

It was a lame attempt at charm, but with Maria being a hoverbiker he's sure she'll see the dry humor behind it all. He may have to refrain form using the term "cockpit" though...

Maria matches lame humor with lame humor:

"You have no problem being the bottom, and I'm not surprised."

She smiles, before asking the Minotaur:

"So what's a civilian ship doing in a spacedock A-berth?"
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 am

Responding to Gren, "The Dart's too small for a proper sickbay unfortunately, you will have to make due with just your medkit. We couldn't squeeze one in and still keep the cargo bay."

"You guys are quick. I like that. The A berths here are primarily reserved for StarFleet. About half of them are exclusively theirs. They get priority on the others but are also used by the local government's ships, some of the bigger megacorps and us. That line in the job ad about megacorp benefits wasn't just about you guys," he adds with a smile. "We have a few connections and have done some favors for StarFleet in the past, when room's available we can usually get into the A's."

Lee taps the table again and the keyboard vanishes and the alcove closes up. "Okay, sounds like any major issues have been discussed. I have a few things to take care of before we shove off. You all can hang here for as long as you want and grab more of the grub, discuss things, whatever. See you at the observation gallery at 1700." He then heads out the door leaving the seven of you to your own devices for a couple of hours.

OOC: If you want to spend any time working out team dynamics or do anything before setting off go ahead and continue posting here. Once you are ready to go move on over the the Setting Off thread.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Will wrote:Maria matches lame humor with lame humor:

"You have no problem being the bottom, and I'm not surprised."

Smiling, Sebastian responds "What can I say, I never made Flight Leader. Military polictics and all that, that's why I'm here..."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:57 pm

"Tell me about it," Maria replies, stifling the memories the words "military politics" bring up.

"All the military seems to be about anymore," she adds. before heading for the door.

"See you all on the docks," she says. walking rapidly for the docking area.

Breaking into a run for the lift.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Previous

Return to The Adventure