Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby Will » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:46 pm

OOC: And, this is why albedo screens are better than albedo suits....
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Sticking to his cover, Sebastian will deploy Chatterbox (the only thing he has that can cover the gap). He will also radio in via chronocom and report the three bots that we are still within range of. "We're taking heavy laser fire. Albedo screen operating at 56% efficiency after taking one hit. Someone get a heavy weapon over here, Chatterbox is at extreme range as it stands!"

He will stick to the cover for now, not poking any extremities out for the spiderbots to pick at.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Seeing the Dart start to land, the 'bots sporting heavy lasers shift their fire to the distant ship. Luckily, at the extreme range, they all miss.

Malcom gets free of his parawing and tosses a grenade towards the SE tower and amazingly it lands exactly where he wants it to and begins obscuring the view towards him from the tower.

The 'bots continue to fire at the Dart with the same results as it settles to the ground (a bit roughly as Maria set it down quick). The cargo bay doors are open enough now for PC's in the bay to fire any heavy weapons they have. (5 turns until the ramp is down all the way and the Explorer can roll out.

As Sebastian peeks around the rock he is hiding behind, he sees some movement in the base. Several somethings are headed toward the fence facing you from the main buildings but he can't quite make out what yet.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 pm

"Get that gods-damned Explorer out of there, and start shooting!" Maria screams over her chronocom.

"Right, kid," she says to Leo,as she commences repairs."we've got to hustle!"
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Will wrote:"Get that gods-damned Explorer out of there, and start shooting!" Maria screams over her chronocom.

OOC: so, who's driving?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Bonehead wrote:OOC: so, who's driving?
You are probably. The rules state that it takes someone with a Technician skill to drive/pilot a regular vehicle but for ground vehicles, I only require that in order to get full benefit of RS/DEX checks and the like in combat. Since B'Loone and Maria are the only ones on board with a Tech skill at the moment, and Maria is working on the ship, that mostly likely leaves it to you. However, Leo or 'Ting could drive if you want them to. I assume you want Gren firing his Recoilless Rifle at the moment.

Speaking of which, I emailed cliff and umungus to see if they are still interested in playing their PC's (They haven't been on the site in several months, everyone else as at least visited in the last week or so) Until they show back up, I'll play them as NPC's

As Dart hits the ground, the cargo bay doors open enough for Gren to see the SE tower that seems to be so lucky in getting hits in on your crew. With his Recoilless Rifle already loaded and ready to go, he squeezes off a round at the tower. Unfortunately, he fired just a tad too soon and a final jolt as the Dart settles throws off his aim and the shot goes wide, exploding several tens of meters behind the tower and outside the compound. Cursing his impatience and the pilots inability to bring the ship down softly Gren begins reloading the weapon for his next shot.

Any other actions this round from anyone in the bay or on the ground? The explorer can't actually exit for 4 more rounds without dropping 3-8 meters and smashing up the Dart's rudder.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:33 pm

OOC: Leo has Tech skill...he should, Astro requires Tech and Comp both at 6.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Terl Obar wrote:
Bonehead wrote:OOC: so, who's driving?
You are probably. The rules state that it takes someone with a Technician skill to drive/pilot a regular vehicle but for ground vehicles, I only require that in order to get full benefit of RS/DEX checks and the like in combat. Since B'Loone and Maria are the only ones on board with a Tech skill at the moment, and Maria is working on the ship, that mostly likely leaves it to you. However, Leo or 'Ting could drive if you want them to. I assume you want Gren firing his Recoilless Rifle at the moment.

OOC: B'Looone is driving the Explorer with Gren, Leo and 'Ting on board? The combat and security 'bots are all walking, or are some of them on board also?

IC: B'Looone fidgets uncomfortably in the drivers seat as he nervously waits for the Dart to settle on the ground. "Man, I hope I don't screw this up," he worries to himself. "I'm not used to driving toward the shooting."

"Just because I'm driving doesn't mean that I know where to go," he tells the others. "I'm going to head toward Sebastion and Malcom, but go wide of their position until we're in front of them so as to draw fire away from them. If anybody has a better idea, now would be the time to tell me."
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Malcom will continue with his current actions. Namely, he will run towards the base under the concealment of the smoke until he reaches the smoke. Then he'll throw another grenade and continue. When he runs out of grenades, he will continue with dodging movement until within 400 meters of a target. He will take a route towards a spot roughly half way between the gate and the first tower east of the gate.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Will wrote:OOC: Leo has Tech skill...he should, Astro requires Tech and Comp both at 6.

I completely missed this post. Actually Astrogation only requires Computer level 6. Leo has no tech skill at all.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 pm

@B'Loone: That is correct. You could have some of the bots on board if you want (there is room for two inside the cabin). Otherwise they will be running alongside unless you give them other orders.

@Malcom: I assume you are headed toward the gate on the north side of the compound. There are no gates on the east and west sides, just the north and south. You are all on a line basically straight east along the north fence line of the base. Your smoke grenade has expanded enough to obscure most of the base but you can still see and be seen by the one remaining tower in the middle of the north side of the compound (right next to the gate you want to go in) which is sporting a heavy laser and manned by and OES-1 security bot. At the current rate of expansion of the smoke cloud it will be obscured next round. Luckily there is no wind at the moment and the cloud is just sitting there. Do you want to move now or wait one more turn?
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Terl Obar wrote:
Will wrote:OOC: Leo has Tech skill...he should, Astro requires Tech and Comp both at 6.

I completely missed this post. Actually Astrogation only requires Computer level 6. Leo has no tech skill at all.

Oh, okay, my bad.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:21 am

Terl wrote:@Malcom: I assume you are headed toward the gate on the north side of the compound. There are no gates on the east and west sides, just the north and south. You are all on a line basically straight east along the north fence line of the base. Your smoke grenade has expanded enough to obscure most of the base but you can still see and be seen by the one remaining tower in the middle of the north side of the compound (right next to the gate you want to go in) which is sporting a heavy laser and manned by and OES-1 security bot. At the current rate of expansion of the smoke cloud it will be obscured next round. Luckily there is no wind at the moment and the cloud is just sitting there. Do you want to move now or wait one more turn?

OOC: You have it right. Malcom's heading to a spot just east of that gate in the north fence.

I'm a little over a click away, thinks Malcom. That's too far to give the disable command. And it should be far enough for that Sec'bot to have a difficult time hitting a moving target. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm dead. Why did I read 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' so many times as a kid and find it heroic instead of foolish? "Tally ho!" he cries half heartedly as he immediately rises and sprints for the smoke cloud.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:45 pm

"Why does this remind me more and more of Morgaine's final battle?" Maria asks herself, as she sets the Dart down, flips the pod laser to automatic firing, and ducks aft to start fixing the ship.

"Okay," she adds, techkit in hand,"I know I haven't exactly been a good girl, but any gods who want to help at the juncture would be welcome."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Malcom takes his chances and jumps up, breaking out into a run toward the compound and Sebastian's position. The smoke grenade effectively screens him from the closer tower. The 'bot in the north tower sees him and fires but the shot is way wide at this extreme range.

Maria flips on the auto mode for the Dart's laser (I was wondering if anyone was going to think of that) just as the 'bot fires. The Dart recognizes the action as hostile and returns fire immediately scoring a direct hit on the OES-1 in the tower. Unfortunately, you see the flash of an albedo screen which saves the bot from any serious damage but does drain it's powerpack significantly.

Malcom is now 20m from his smoke cloud and it is obscuring him completely from the compound. At the end of next turn you will reach the far edge.

Gren reload the recoilless rifle and can fire next turn. The explorer can exit the cargo bay the turn after that. Declare your action for this next round.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:33 pm

B'Looone will hold the Explorer in the Dart until after the Dart has touched down completely AND Gren has taken his shot (assuming that he wants to). B'Looone will then pilot the Explorer towards Sebastian's position, but stay about 50 to 100 meters to the north so as to draw fire away from him and Malcom. Once the Explorer is between them and the compound, it will pause (either under cover or behind a smoke screen) until Malcom and Sebastion are on board (assuming that they want to board).

Two combat 'bots are on board the Explorer. The rest of the 'bots will proceed at their best speed towards the compound, following in the path of the Explorer, firing at whatever targets present themselves.

At least, that's what B'Looone thinks is going to happen.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 am

Malcom breathes a sigh of relief as the smoke cloud screens him from the final tower that could see him. He continues running and prepares a second smoke grenade.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 pm

"Ship," Maria snaps,"if you have a clear shot at the base of any of those guard towers, take it!"
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:41 am

Bugger, I got so caught up in the Sathar War I completely forgot about the original game LOL

Terl Obar wrote:As Sebastian peeks around the rock he is hiding behind, he sees some movement in the base. Several somethings are headed toward the fence facing you from the main buildings but he can't quite make out what yet.

Sebastian will retrieve his magnigoggles and attampt to make out what is moving out yonder.

Seeing Malcom approaching, he motions toward the fence. "We got movement, stay low and get some cover!"
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:14 am

Sebastian wrote:Seeing Malcom approaching, he motions toward the fence. "We got movement, stay low and get some cover!"

"I've gotta get closer! Give me as much cover fire as you can! Especially on the heavy lasers!" the scorched Malcom shouts as he sprints past Sebastian.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure