Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby Bonehead » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:54 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:Too far away to actually observe the action, but overhearing the discussion on the intercom, Sebastian toggles the mike and calls out "Get us closer! If that spider-bot has an albedo screen, ol' Chatterbox can make Minotaurian mincemeat out of it!"

OOC --- gotta be at least 500m or closer for a fair chance to hit with the machine gun.

"Those SPiDeRs have both an albedo screen and an inertia screen, but they can only use one at a time. If you hit them with both the laser and the 'chatterbox' at the same time, at least one of them will get through."
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:18 pm

"At least they all seem to have laser weapons," calls Malcom squeezing the trigger again. "We probably ought to just land on the pad in the middle of this fire fight and let everyone out. Given current range and speed, I ought to have the HL out of service by then."
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm

BTW, in case it wasn't clear, those six laser shots from the base were all from Heavy Lasers

At a range of 1400m, Malcom squeezes off another shot, once again lighting up the SPDR's albedo screen. The flash is even brighter this time if possible but the shot still fails to penetrate the screen. Once again the six laser beams reach out towards the Dart but it seems that their aim hasn't improved any. All six shots miss.

There is no one left out in the open from your angle except the SPDR Malcom is firing at. Those that were out in the open are either now inside or screened by the buildings from your vantage point. Maria can just make out something in the towers but can't tell what they are from this range.

If Sebastian wants to move up to fire out of the main hatch, he can be in position in 3 more turns (you will be at a range of 500m if there are no course changes).
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm

"Let's see if we can stay alive for another 18 seconds," Maria says, trying to figure out what she just saw. "Sebastian, set up the chatterbox."

"In case no one's been paying attention," she adds,"plan A's screwed. Everyone, stand by for insertion."
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:38 am

"Locking and loading now, I'll be ready. Let's give 'em hell!"
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm

"B'Looone, when we're down, direct the combat 'bots use smoke to screen us from the south and eastern towers (bottom and right of the map). After the roof gunner is down, I'll concentrate on the north gate tower! You guys will be free to assault the buildings then."
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Bonehead » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:55 pm

"Roger that," replies B'Looone.

OOC:
Does this mean the B'Looone will be with the 'bots, or will he still be in the explorer with everyone else?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 pm

The 'bots are intelligent enough that you can give the orders before disembarking and stay in the Explorer. They have the entire complex map in memory already (I assume you would have loaded that information to assist in coordinating your attack.)
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Bonehead wrote:"Roger that," replies B'Looone.

OOC:
Does this mean the B'Looone will be with the 'bots, or will he still be in the explorer with everyone else?

OOC: You can give the security bots smoke grenades too. As I recall, you requested a box of them. Or, the combat bots can share - they each have 5.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:49 pm

At a range of 1100 m, Malcom once again hits the SPDR (you've had great die rolls) scoring a direct hit on the body of the beast. Once again it's Albedo screen flashes and the shot fails to penetrate but after four solid hits it's power supply has to be closed to drained.

The five towers and the SPDR return fire. Five of the shots miss. The shot from the south central tower scores a solid hit on the Dart but seems to bounce off the Reflective Hull coating without doing any damage.

Sebastian is lying in the elevator with his chatterbox headed toward the airlock.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:09 pm

"Did I ever mention how much I hate albedo screens? Die already you bucket of bolts!"
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:24 pm

At a range of 800m, Malcom continues to be hot and his next shot scores a solid hit once again. The bot's Albedo screen flashes weakly and then the laser leave a huge scorch mark down the SPDR's body boiling away it's Albedo coating. You can't tell if you actually damaged it with that shot but it can't have much defense left if you didn't.

In response, the six laser beams reach out toward you once more but once again miss. However, the SPDR's beam just barely misses the cockpit. In addition, the other four standing guard towers open fire as well and the laser blasts are joined by machine gun fire. They doen't seem to have any better luck than their laser counterparts and all the lead misses.

Sebastian will be in position to fire next round at a range of 500m.

You notice that both shuttles have finished closing their cargo bay doors.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 pm

Sebastian readies himself to pop the hatch and let Chatterbox to the talking. He toggles the intercom "Unlock the hatch, I'm ready to commence ballistic negotiations!"
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:40 am

"Somebody warn those Red Box shuttles not to go anywhere! Then tell me where to find the freakin' genius who developed albedo defenses! He needs a smack in the head!"
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:08 pm

"Those same albedoline defenses are what's saving our hides right now! Besides, I got something that'll cut through that screen."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Shadow Shack wrote:Sebastian readies himself to pop the hatch and let Chatterbox to the talking. He toggles the intercom "Unlock the hatch, I'm ready to commence ballistic negotiations!"

"Hatch is open," Maria says. "You and Malcom fire together on my mark....mark!
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:13 pm

At 500m, Malcom chalks up his first miss, with his shot going just wide of the target. Sebastian opens the throat of old Chatterbox and manages to connect with the SPDR on the roof riddling it full of holes. It looks pretty beat up but is still standing.

Things start to get real dice now as you approach the base. Maria can now see that the guard towers are all manned by robots. Some by more of these SPDR robots and some by what look to be the OES-01 Security bots from the base. She doesn't have much time to inspect them as she is busy dodging laser and machine gun fire

Despite being hit by the machine gun fire the SPDR on the roof of the main building manages to connect with the Dart hitting it with his Heavy Laser. Once again the Reflective Hull coating prevents any serious damage to the ship.

The machine guns in towers on the north and south edges of the perimeter also connect this round punching some holes in the skin of the Dart but don't seem to damage anything vital. You'll have to do some repair work before you go back into space though.

I assume you are headed straight in to land on the pad. When you do so, you will flair up, kick in your main engine and settle down on your tail. I also assume you want to do it as fast as possible. Based on that here is what will happen over the next few rounds:

RoundEvents
Current roundStart deploying Landing gear, throttle back on atmospheric engines
1Range 250m, begin flair up, start opening cargo bay
2Range 100m, altitude 100m ship at about 60 degree tilt
3Over landing pad, altitude 150m fire up main engine, characters in cargo bay(everyone except Malcom, Maria and Sebastian) can begin shooting
4Over landing pad altitude 50m Cargo bay open begin extending ramp to get explorer off
5Touchdown, ramp continues to extend
6-8Ramp continues to extend to the point the explorer can go down it
9Explorer can now roll down the ramp (it will have to jump off the end but it will only be about a 2m drop at that point :D )
10Maria can start to lift back off if she wants or leave the Dart parked and get into the action

It will take Sebastian 4 rounds to return to the cargo bay if he wants to get out that way so he'll need to decide when to leave. If you want to do something different let me know otherwise we'll proceed along that timeline. Also, Malcom and Sebastian need to specify their targets. Are you both still shooting at the SPDR on the roof or do you want to shift to a new target.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Figures, thinks Malcom. From can't miss range, good ol' Murphy brings his law into play.

"Maria, your call on whether we land here or elsewhere. Seb, switch your fire to the 'bot in the north gate tower! I'll finish off the roof spider, then help you! We gotta keep them guessing on which kind of weapon will hit them."

Malcom plans on targeting the foundations of the guard towers in order to topple them. He will start with the north gate and work his way clockwise around the perimeter.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 pm

"We'll swing round and take out those damn guns first," Maria replies, swinging round to the north tower.

"Gods, I wish we had a nuke right now," she adds.

Over comms, she sings:
Vash the Stampede wrote:Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de die, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Will wrote:"We'll swing round and take out those damn guns first," Maria replies, swinging round to the north tower.

"Gods, I wish we had a nuke right now," she adds.

B'Looone distracts himself from loading smoke grenades onto the security 'bots to say, "Let's not lose sight of the fact that our employers probably won't be very happy with us if we destroy their mining facility."

He glances at his engineering display with a (Dralasite equivalent of a) frown: no results from that voice ID yet. Damn, I should have narrowed the search more.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure