Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby Will » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:08 am

"You're both voggin' nuts," Maria remarks, thinking maybe five kilometers would be a good enough distance to set down.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 pm

BD Cerridwen wrote:"Time to play super hero," says Malcom. With the ship now blocking the main weapon, something must be done to keep up the pressure on the bad guys. He grabs the two para wings he stashed on the bridge earlier and heads down to the hatch. As he does he calls down to Sebastian. "Up for a little air time, flyboy?"

I need to know exactly what you want to do so we can resolve it properly. Otherwise I'll just have you fly out to 5km and land.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 pm

First, once by the hatch, Malcom will call on the intercom for B'Looone to send a 'bot to deliver four smoke grenades while Malcom puts on the parawing. After that, the plan is to bail out as soon as he can and descend as rapidly as practical, aiming for a landing spot with good cover and staying on the side of the NE corner. The important thing is to land in an area with cover so he can remove the parawing. After that, he will have to use the terrain, judicious use of smoke, and dodging movement to get within 400m of the north tower west of the gate. From the aerial photo, it appears as if the ground to the east is lower then the base. Malcom plans to use that and the angle to his target to shield himself from the towers other then the two north ones. If Sebastian decides to be suicidal as well, we need to get him within 1000m of the target tower to provide cover fire while Malcom moves to within 400m. Hopefully with Chatterbox being the main weapon for a while, the 'bots will switch to inertia defenses so Mal's laser rifle has a chance to actually be effective. If not, at least Malcom can draw fire while Seb and Chatterbox do the heavy lifting. The objective is to keep the enemy under pressure until the cavalry arrives, hopefully without getting killed.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:51 pm

OOC: When Malcom dies, can Maria have his stuff? :D

BIC: "And, they say I have a death wish," Maria remarks.

"When you die," she asks Malcom,"can I have your stuff."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:08 pm

[quote="BD Cerridwen"He grabs the two para wings he stashed on the bridge earlier and heads down to the hatch. As he does he calls down to Sebastian. "Up for a little air time, flyboy?"[/quote]

Sebastian beams in approval to the destruction that was enacted. Sebastian finsihes stowing Chatterbox in hus duffel and looks up to Malcom toting the parawings "Nice shooting back there, Malcom. Now let's take to the air!"

(Sebastian won't be able to use the machine gun on the parawing...nothing to mount it to. He votes for a distant landing and using the explorer for an approach, but to parawing to the drop point in order to provide and cover fire if needed)
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Will wrote:BIC: "And, they say I have a death wish," Maria remarks.

"No promises Darlin', " calls Malcom with a wink. "With me, it's always first come, first served."

He then makes the call to B'Looone requesting the smoke grenades via Robot Delivery and straps on the parawing, making sure all of his own equipment, including the borrowed magnigoggles, are secured for what is likely to be a rough ride.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:01 pm

BD Cerridwen wrote:
Will wrote:BIC: "And, they say I have a death wish," Maria remarks.

"No promises Darlin', " calls Malcom with a wink. "With me, it's always first come, first served."

He then makes the call to B'Looone requesting the smoke grenades via Robot Delivery and straps on the parawing, making sure all of his own equipment, including the borrowed magnigoggles, are secured for what is likely to be a rough ride.

"Then," Maria quips back, as she looks for a spot to set this bird down in, "at least promise me you'll leave a pretty corpse so I can loot it."

"Oh, don't feel left out, Minotaur," she then says to Sebastian,"I'll loot your corpse and claim your stuff too."

"Now, get down to the cargo bay and get ready to make like paratroopers; you don't have a lot of time before you're too far from the camp to do any good."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 pm

After firing off his last shot, Malcom unstraps from his seat and opens the hatch dropping down into the airlock with Sebastian. As he arrives he sees Sebastian stowing Chatterbox in his duffel and surveying the damage caused. You can feel Maria slowing the ship down toward it's bare minimum airspeed to keep you from being too far away when you deploy. Bullets and lasers lash out from the base but are ineffective as the distance grows (you are 675m away by the end of the turn).

Malcom tosses Sebastian on of the parawings which he begins to strap on. Malcom also begins to strap on his but the elevator door opens up and a bot reaches up (the door is in the floor during atmospheric flight) and holds out the four smoke grenades Malcom requested (I'm assuming B'Loone will send them up). Malcom grabs them and continues to strap on his parawing. Once again bullets and lasers reach out from the base but again with no effect. (You are not 885m from the base).

Seeing that Malcom is still getting his parawing on after being distracted momentarily by collecting is grenades, Sebastian dives down out of the airlock door (if you don't dive you hit the wing :o ) as soon as the Dart streaks past, he quickly deploys his parawing.

Mechanics: You are on a 1.4g world. You will drop 14m every turn and will travel 50m horizontally. Since Maria is flying at 30m above the ground that means you have exactly 2 turns in the air. (you lose the other 2m diving down to not be hit by the Dart's wing :) )

Sebastian, you can pick the distance you deploy at, anywhere between 890m and 1080m from the base's eastern edge. I also need to know which direction you want to head once you are out.

The next round Malcom is set to go and follows Sebastian out the airlock door. Malcom can choose his deployment distance between 1090m and 1280m from the base. I'll need a direction from you as well.

The guns from the base have fallen silent as our intrepid commandos launch themselves into the fray. Once the boys are out the door, Maria cycles it shut and kicks up the engine a bit to get out to her selected landing zone. (You still want 5km or do you want to land closer?)
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:35 am

Will wrote:"Oh, don't feel left out, Minotaur," she then says to Sebastian,"I'll loot your corpse and claim your stuff too."

"Hah! You presume there will be a corpse. After all, Mal packed this parawing for me...besides, anyone that takes me out will be going along for the ride."

He turns to the open hatch and calls out, "See ya down in the dirt!"

Sebastian will deploy at just a kilometer outside the base, which would be heading west once clear of the Dart if I read everything correctly.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:01 am

Terl Obar wrote:After firing off his last shot, Malcom unstraps from his seat and opens the hatch dropping down into the airlock with Sebastian. As he arrives he sees Sebastian stowing Chatterbox in his duffel and surveying the damage caused. You can feel Maria slowing the ship down toward it's bare minimum airspeed to keep you from being too far away when you deploy. Bullets and lasers lash out from the base but are ineffective as the distance grows (you are 675m away by the end of the turn).

Malcom tosses Sebastian on of the parawings which he begins to strap on. Malcom also begins to strap on his but the elevator door opens up and a bot reaches up (the door is in the floor during atmospheric flight) and holds out the four smoke grenades Malcom requested (I'm assuming B'Loone will send them up). Malcom grabs them and continues to strap on his parawing. Once again bullets and lasers reach out from the base but again with no effect. (You are not 885m from the base).

Seeing that Malcom is still getting his parawing on after being distracted momentarily by collecting is grenades, Sebastian dives down out of the airlock door (if you don't dive you hit the wing :o ) as soon as the Dart streaks past, he quickly deploys his parawing.

Mechanics: You are on a 1.4g world. You will drop 14m every turn and will travel 50m horizontally. Since Maria is flying at 30m above the ground that means you have exactly 2 turns in the air. (you lose the other 2m diving down to not be hit by the Dart's wing :) )

Sebastian, you can pick the distance you deploy at, anywhere between 890m and 1080m from the base's eastern edge. I also need to know which direction you want to head once you are out.

The next round Malcom is set to go and follows Sebastian out the airlock door. Malcom can choose his deployment distance between 1090m and 1280m from the base. I'll need a direction from you as well.

The guns from the base have fallen silent as our intrepid commandos launch themselves into the fray. Once the boys are out the door, Maria cycles it shut and kicks up the engine a bit to get out to her selected landing zone. (You still want 5km or do you want to land closer?)

OOC: Depends. Is there a suitable landing spot closer to the Dart's position, and what's the topography like?
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:49 am

The base is situated on an alluvial fan, there is a gentle slope everywhere but it is relatively smooth everywhere as well. There are some boulders and shrub bushes around. You would have no problem finding a landing position just about anywhere.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 pm

"Bomb's away!" Malcom yells as he dives out. He aims towards the base, he wants to get as close as he can yet stay on the eastern side where the ruins of the two towers they destroyed might shield him from the the towers not on the northern fence. Given his speed of descent, Malcom figures he'll land about 1100m north of the tower Maria melted. That's as good of a place as any to start, he thinks. Hopefully they can get the explorer out quickly, Gren's recoiless rifle is ideal for this type of fight.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Will » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Maria decides to set down now, before the jets stall out.

"Everyone else, the last bus is leaving the terminal real soon now!" Maria shouts out. "All little children, get on board!"
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby estradling » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:31 am

Not being a front line fighter Leo watches as the other bail on parawings. "If god had meant for us to use unpowered flight, we all be yazirians." His comments are just loud enough to be heard, but not really loud enough to me more then him talking to himself. When Maria announces that touchdown is near, he gets into position and does a final check of his gear.
estradling
Scout

Postby Bonehead » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm

OOC: Do we need to specify what we want the 'bots are to do now, or can we wait 'til after the Explorer is deployed? Do we wind them up and let them go, or does B'Looone (or someone) need to direct them? Are they disembarking at the same time as the Explorer (I assume so)?
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 pm

You can specify now or later. They are advanced enough that you can give them general instructions and they will attempt to accomplish the orders specified. Or you can keep them with you. Yes, they will be disembarking with the explorer.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 pm

B'Looone takes his place in the Explorer. "The 'bots are wound up and ready to go. As soon as we've decided where we want them to go, I'll send them there."
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Will » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Maria lands the Dart, then grabs her techkit and hollers to the kiddie astrogator,"c'mon, let's you and me fix this thing."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:50 pm

As Sebastian deploys out the airlock, the three remaining towers hosting heavy lasers burst back into life trying to snuff him out of the sky. Being at extreme range, the 'bots all miss although the shot from the damaged bot in the SE tower comes fairly close.

Malcom deploys on the next round but the robots continue to fire at Sebastian as he is the closer target. He has drifted into long range for the 'bot in the SE tower and while the other two miss, the wounded bot's laser connects with Sebastian causing his Albedo screen to flare (-22 SEU, 28 remaining in beltback).

At the end of that round Sebastian reaches the ground and ducks behind a boulder for cover. He is 900m from the fence. The laser fire shifts to Malcom and once again the damaged bot in the SE tower connects (He must be holding a grudge or something :) ). His albedo suit is just able to stop the damage (99 points, suit has 1 point left). Sebastian finishes disengaging himself from his parawing as Malcom settles to the ground about 100 m behind him.

Sebastiain is free to move this turn, Malcom has to spend the next round getting out of his parawing.

Meanwhile, Maria begins to execute an abbreviated decent, she pulls back on the stick, fires the retro thrusters to help kill forward airspeed and puts the ship into a vertical attitude. The Dart climbs to about 300m before all upward momentum is lost at which point she kicks in the main drive just as Malcom touches down on the ground. The Dart is 1400m from the base at this point and everyone in the cargo bay with the explorer is a bit shaken up by the sudden maneuver.

They also notice that Maria has toggled the cargo bay doors and they are starting to open. (The Dart will be down in 2 more turns and the ramp will be out all the way in 5 after that. If you want the Explorer can head out after only 6 more turns but will drop the last couple of meters as the ramp won't be all the way down yet. The cargo bay door is opening so that you can see the base. On the next turn (when Malcom can move), the characters in the bay can fire any heavy weapons if the wish (at a range of 1400m to the nearest two towers)
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:36 pm

"Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!" mumbles Malcom as he ditches his parawing and fans his albedo suit to cool off the charred remains. Once he is free of his gear, he will throw a smoke grenade as far as he can towards the camp and allowing for the wind to drift the smoke to screen him from as many of the defenders as possible, but especially the lucky bot that nearly fried him. With Seb 100m to his front, he should still have a clear line of fire unhindered by the smoke. Malcom will wait for the smoke screen to fully develop, and then make a bee line at top speed for Mr. Lucky Shot.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure