Release 0.0.15

Announcements about new releases, updates, etc.

Moderator: Terl Obar

Release 0.0.15

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Here's another update with a bunch of bug fixes and final implementation of the Advanced Damage Table. I still only have Linux and Windows versions of this release at the moment. I've managed to get it to compile on the Mac but it is very ugly (bad fonts, dialog boxes not working, no menu in the SSW game, etc) so it will be a bit before a good Mac port comes out.

Things fixed/added in this release:
  • Advanced damage table - Navigation control hit - properly forces you to use all your MR immediately.
  • Fixed the bug when drawing your path moving through a planet's gravity well.
  • If ships from both sides are in a hex that is fired on with a rocket weapon, the ICM dialog now properly only allows you to assign ICMs from your ships for defense.
  • Fixed the bug preventing you from firing on enemy ships when they are in the same hex as you.

Hammer away and let me know if there is anything strange or wrong happening. I already know about some issues (see list below). If you find anything new, just post a comment here in this thread.

Have fun.

Here are the download files:
Download the Windows version (~2.6 MB)
Download the Linux version (~5.5 MB)

Things that I know don't work yet or are not yet implemented:
  • Handling moving off the map - need to still allow ships to fire on the turn they move off
  • Allow for extending the map as ships move towards the edge.
  • Mines and Seeker Missiles (this makes a huge difference in the fourth implemented scenario. The UPF really have it hard without their mines :) ).
  • No repair turn
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Re: Release 0.0.15

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:27 am

In previous version you could make a turn in your starting hex. Now you must move one hex forward before you can turn. I suppose this was done to facilitate moving off the map, but it sure came as a surprise to my fried assault scout!
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm

In a custom battle, UPF Battleship (defender) vs. Sathar Heavy Cruiser and Destroyer, the battleship's ICM Launcher was damaged in the first contact. After that, NO ONE could launch ICMs.

Later in the same battle, after the destroyer was rendered into space dust, the HC and battleship both had navigation damage limiting them to right hand turns. Needless to say, it takes a while to get the ships back into range of each other. For some reason, though, the Sathar was declared the winner at the start of the second turn after they were out of range of each other. The Sathar ship was closest to the edge and might have gone off the edge on the next turn. In this scenario, a retreating Sathar would leave the UPF as victor.

Something to consider for an upcoming version - logging. I would make it optional, of course, but a log that records movement and combat actions would undoubtedly be handy in recreating situations that play testers report. (Plus it would be cool to 'relive' some of the better battles!)
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Being able to turn before you moved in the earlier versions was acutally a bug. The tactical operations manual says "A ship can turn after it enters a hex." I've always taken that to mean you have to move at least one hex before you can make your first turn.

The ICM issue is a little weird. I've never seen that one pop up. I'll see if I can reproduce it and see if I can figure out why it might be happening.

On the ending of the game, did the battleship have a fire by any chance? If so, it might have been taking hull damage (remember a fire rolls on the damage table every turn) and finally succumbed and been destroyed. Also, there is a bug that it gets the sides backwards when declaring a winner when the Sathar are defenders and the UPF are attackers. So if that was the situation and the Sathar ship died (due to a fire) or moved off the map, it would say the Sathar won even when it meant the UPF.

Logging and replays would be a good idea. It should be possible to do (at least for movement), especially with the changes to movement I made this last iteration. Keeping track of the weapons fired and their results would take some work. I'll keep it in mind.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't recall seeing a fire on the damage report, but it is possible. Multiple systems were hit. I also don't recall how many HP were left.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Return to Release Announcements