Chapter 2.1 Operation Guillotine

Set in the Star Frontiers setting 100 years after the original Warriors of White Light Module pursuing all new adventures in the classic setting. Most original TSR printed game materials are constitute history in this game.

Moderator: jedion357

Re: Chapter 2: Operation Guillotine

Postby Will » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:46 pm

"Ajax, put out an advisory on those two vehicles," Lyssa says,"then raise the Princess' bodyguard, request their current location."

"Mister Savrax," she adds, as she starts to juke, as she keeps descending,"we're going to make a pass over the field. Take out the choppers and the tripod mount. Upload our sensor telemetry to all nearby aerospace units, let's see if we can't call in an airstrike."
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Inigo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:42 pm

"Mister Savrax," she adds, as she starts to juke, as she keeps descending,"we're going to make a pass over the field. Take out the choppers and the tripod mount."

“Roger that. It looks like the GOCs may be booby trapping the run way.” Savrax takes a moment to study the jetcopters and deduce whether or not they are in a search mode or positioned for air cover. “I want a minute by minute update on images until we can get a visual of the bogies and or the runway. Those copters may know something we don’t.” Savrax begins to worry in the back of his mind about the body signatures adjacent to the runway. “Maybe we can drop Grelude with some backup just in case there are some explosive devices that need deactivated while we take out the tripod and gain air superiority?”

As they continue in, Sav begins to coordinate with Alyssa in order to more judiciously pick his targets and be better prepared to work with her flight path.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Inigo
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Inigo wrote:“Roger that. It looks like the GOCs may be booby trapping the run way.” Savrax takes a moment to study the jetcopters and deduce whether or not they are in a search mode or positioned for air cover. “I want a minute by minute update on images until we can get a visual of the bogies and or the runway. Those copters may know something we don’t.” Savrax begins to worry in the back of his mind about the body signatures adjacent to the runway. “Maybe we can drop Grelude with some backup just in case there are some explosive devices that need deactivated while we take out the tripod and gain air superiority?”

As they continue in, Sav begins to coordinate with Alyssa in order to more judiciously pick his targets and be better prepared to work with her flight path.

OOC: ooops that wasn't clear the copters are on the ground but they are "hot" like they're on stand by. this isn't KH hawks rules so it goes like this 1/2 Dex +10%/ skill level and -10% for the increasingly crappy weather though You are able to target with the IR sensors. Once Alyssa reaches the point of commiting to a strafing run she'll need to decide if its a high speed, medium speed or low speed run on the ground targets you get one shot during a high speed run, 2 during medium speed, and 3 during a low speed run. you can split control of the 2 pod lasers with Grelude who is on board and divy up targets if you like or Savrax can train control of both pod lasers which will target the same target for each shot.

the opposition has to make a RS roll to respond to the incoming shuttle before they can fire they get the same number of chances to respond to the HInd as the Hind takes in shots and they're first opportunity to respond will likely be with a negative modifier to see and respond but with each successive shot the Hind takes they get a better chance to respond.

That works out to they must first recognize and respond to the threat the Hind represents before they can shoot then shooting will be as normal.

IC:

Ajax, while maintaining his open line to the Hind, call the squad trying to collect the Princess who was out grav skiing when this all began. On the open line the team can hear him trying to raise the Royal Guard officer but his hail goes unanswered three times. Suddenly the Hind is hailed by a Sargent Creol, Royal Guard. Weapons fire and explosions are plainly heard in the back ground.

"Golden Hind! Golden Hind! This is Sargent Creol,the Lt is down, we're in a running fire fight with one armed hovercraft and an unknown number of hovercycles and request air support. Location roughly bears 128 degrees and 5 Kilometers from Perry Field on the Ice Peak Glacier heading South by Southwe...."
The signal dies.

OOC: the good guys are on grav skis bad guys have hover vehicles - grav skis can compete with hover as long as they have a downward slope but when that runs out they're dead in the water so to speak.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 am

Well, "snuggle day" was interupted. Wife's in the ICU right now as of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I'm pretty wiped out...and gotta work tomorrow. Might be sporadic in my participation for a bit.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 pm

OOC:That's fine, Shadow. Your wife needs you more than we do. Hope she gets better.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm

jedion357 wrote:Ajax, while maintaining his open line to the Hind, call the squad trying to collect the Princess who was out grav skiing when this all began. On the open line the team can hear him trying to raise the Royal Guard officer but his hail goes unanswered three times. Suddenly the Hind is hailed by a Sargent Creol, Royal Guard. Weapons fire and explosions are plainly heard in the back ground.

"Golden Hind! Golden Hind! This is Sargent Creol,the Lt is down, we're in a running fire fight with one armed hovercraft and an unknown number of hovercycles and request air support. Location roughly bears 128 degrees and 5 Kilometers from Perry Field on the Ice Peak Glacier heading South by Southwe...."
The signal dies.

OOC: the good guys are on grav skis bad guys have hover vehicles - grav skis can compete with hover as long as they have a downward slope but when that runs out they're dead in the water so to speak.

"Copy that, en route to your position, now!" Lyssa says, as she changes course for Ice Peak Glacier, best possible speed to allow for a low speed run and to get there in time to do any good.

"Change of plans, people!" she says needlessly. "We're hitting the slopes! Ajax, see if you can scare up any air support, even from those Spacefleeters at Fortress Redoubt...I'll let Buzz have another vogging sound bite, if it means potting those terrorists and saving the primary!"

"Hold on!" she says, as she executes a screaming bank which has them on approach to the Glacier. "Savrax, Grelude, the skiers we save, the hover vehicles we kill."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Inigo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Savrax clenches his jaw slightly as the focuses his mind on finding the new targets. He takes a deep breath as the tries to relax his muscles just enough to optimize his reaction speed and eye-hand coordination. Once calm, he puts the thought of those jet copters to the side, but not out of mind. Then with a jolt he asks, “Can we begin jamming comm frequencies to prevent the hover targets from calling in reinforcements? If they are unable to coordinate even among themselves, let alone with their air support, the Princess stands a better chance.”

“Grelude, when we have ‘eyes on’, call your mark. I’ll follow your lead.”

OOC: It seems star frontiers has failed to include bombs in the arsenal for their aircraft. A few would come in handy right about now. Maybe Sav should slave both pod lasers to his station and let grelude hang from the door, tossing our compliment of grenades out at our targets as we fly over. :P
Inigo
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:16 am

OOC: Just and FYI- none of these little imputs (sat images of mooks setting up a welcoming reception at Perry Field or the following) from me constitute a real turn advance, they're simply responses from me concerning actions you initiated or suggested and as GM I'm feeding you extra info to allow you to modify your declared actions as would be appropriate for the situation.

Will wrote: Ajax, see if you can scare up any air support, even from those Spacefleeters at Fortress Redoubt...I'll let Buzz have another vogging sound bite, if it means potting those terrorists and saving the primary!"

IC: Alyssa Blue had finished the gut wrenching turn and poured on more speed and was forced to ride out turbulence from the building storm [skill roll 33%]. To herself she's half glad about the weather as its probably what is keeping the copters on the ground.

The HUD display inside Alyssa's helmet flashes a personal com call from Ajax.
"Sir, I'm at a police command post and my rank and Marine affiliation is not providing the traction needed to get an officer to authorize or place a call to the UPF fortress. Plus I'm afraid that time would be wasted with the UPF command structure trying to confirm the request through proper channels in light of how forcefully the RM have insisted that territorial space of Clarion's orbit is the domain of the marines. However, Sir, there may be a way to cut through the red tape even if the actions you're suggesting are technically illegal. I did check the public com listings and found 23 Antrims. If I remember correctly Buzz was short for his call sign Buzzard, do you happen to know his first name or would you like to call the only B. Antrim in the public listing?"

OOC:1. This conversation needs to be handled before the turn advance. (good Idea- I wasn't expecting it.)
What you are suggesting is a serious breach of policy (calling for a UPF strike on targets on the surface of a member planet not to mention that the RM has always been a bit prickly over who they consider to be the real system defense force in White Light. Your reasoning is sound for trying this but if you do carry through with it I'm sure that there will be some sort of in game consequences though success of the primary mission will temper any NPC response.

2. the weather sat's utility is not what you'd want for locating a running fire fight in a blizzard. Its IR scanners are most likely your best bet and the Hind has IR scanners (if your combat helms have IR, I'll assume the shuttle has it too)
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:38 am

BIC: During the ride down from Clarrion Station

Dudd, sitting in his jump seat next to the engineering station commented to the other enlisted on board, "Princess Avana, isn't she the brat of the palace? I heard from an engineer's mate who worked on the Royal Yacht the she once said the Liberal party had some good points."

Niss snapped, "Shut up Dudd, before Midshipwoman Blue hears you, she use to be Royal Guard."

"I'm just pointing out that it would be ironic if the GOC killed the one member of the aristocracy that might sympathize with them."

Slayerian barked and Ventura responded, "Dudd, you aint the brightest bud of a dral's back."
jedion357
Referee

Postby Will » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 am

jedion357 wrote:OOC: Just and FYI- none of these little imputs (sat images of mooks setting up a welcoming reception at Perry Field or the following) from me constitute a real turn advance, they're simply responses from me concerning actions you initiated or suggested and as GM I'm feeding you extra info to allow you to modify your declared actions as would be appropriate for the situation.

Will wrote: Ajax, see if you can scare up any air support, even from those Spacefleeters at Fortress Redoubt...I'll let Buzz have another vogging sound bite, if it means potting those terrorists and saving the primary!"

IC: Alyssa Blue had finished the gut wrenching turn and poured on more speed and was forced to ride out turbulence from the building storm [skill roll 33%]. To herself she's half glad about the weather as its probably what is keeping the copters on the ground.

The HUD display inside Alyssa's helmet flashes a personal com call from Ajax.
"Sir, I'm at a police command post and my rank and Marine affiliation is not providing the traction needed to get an officer to authorize or place a call to the UPF fortress. Plus I'm afraid that time would be wasted with the UPF command structure trying to confirm the request through proper channels in light of how forcefully the RM have insisted that territorial space of Clarion's orbit is the domain of the marines. However, Sir, there may be a way to cut through the red tape even if the actions you're suggesting are technically illegal. I did check the public com listings and found 23 Antrims. If I remember correctly Buzz was short for his call sign Buzzard, do you happen to know his first name or would you like to call the only B. Antrim in the public listing?"

OOC:1. This conversation needs to be handled before the turn advance. (good Idea- I wasn't expecting it.)
What you are suggesting is a serious breach of policy (calling for a UPF strike on targets on the surface of a member planet not to mention that the RM has always been a bit prickly over who they consider to be the real system defense force in White Light. Your reasoning is sound for trying this but if you do carry through with it I'm sure that there will be some sort of in game consequences though success of the primary mission will temper any NPC response.

2. the weather sat's utility is not what you'd want for locating a running fire fight in a blizzard. Its IR scanners are most likely your best bet and the Hind has IR scanners (if your combat helms have IR, I'll assume the shuttle has it too)

"Call the only B. Antrim in the listing and pray he isn't some 175-year old half-senile duffer," Lyssa replies, cursing the red tape. "If that doesn't work...see if your old friend has enough pull to interrupt a Guard or Marine officer with enough pull to get some bloody reinforcements to our position."

"Grelude, Savrax, I'm reasonably sure that hover vehicles have a larger IR signature than grav skiers. Use your common sense and prosecute targets accordingly. Alfa Team, get ready for ORCAS insertion!"
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 am

OOC: Lyssa forgot to tell Jax, "Just ask for Cretin." :lol:
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 am

Inigo wrote:Savrax clenches his jaw slightly as the focuses his mind on finding the new targets. He takes a deep breath as the tries to relax his muscles just enough to optimize his reaction speed and eye-hand coordination. Once calm, he puts the thought of those jet copters to the side, but not out of mind. Then with a jolt he asks, “Can we begin jamming comm frequencies to prevent the hover targets from calling in reinforcements? If they are unable to coordinate even among themselves, let alone with their air support, the Princess stands a better chance.”

“Grelude, when we have ‘eyes on’, call your mark. I’ll follow your lead.”

OOC: It seems star frontiers has failed to include bombs in the arsenal for their aircraft. A few would come in handy right about now. Maybe Sav should slave both pod lasers to his station and let grelude hang from the door, tossing our compliment of grenades out at our targets as we fly over. :P

OOC: I don't think the Hind has a WNB or anything of that sort. The Dragon article "Tanks a Lot," has rules for bombs.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Inigo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Savrax continues to focus on his scopes, looking for the targets while thinking to himself, “I know that I am still pretty green, but even a cadet could tell the difference between the heat signatures of a hovercar and a grav skier for kripes sake.”

OOC: I didn’t know if we could broadcast on all frequencies with a higher energy output than that of whatever comm. devices the GOCS were using in the hovercars or not. I am not a real life techie, but I believe that is the general idea behind jamming devices. Of course, I have been wrong in the past and you know what they say about the past repeating itself.

OOC EDIT by GM-

My leaning would be that Chronocoms would be tough to jam but a ship based WNB would do it but that would not negate a subspace radio. I think the radio phone would be easier more like an radio broadcast on an open channel whereas the chronocom would be more of a closed circut broadcast like a cell phone to cell phone call.

The Hind, as a multi purpose marine shuttle probably does have attachment points for bombs but the corp didn't leave her sitting around armed for bear which is good at you might get some collateral damage on friendlies. At another time if you have the time to preplan an op you may be able to have the hind armed with bombs (maybe roll on rocket weapons skill for dropping them).
Inigo
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm

IC:
Ajax patches the com number for B. Antrim through to Alyssa's chronocom leaving it for her to call Buzz as he pretends to misunderstand her order for him to place the call then disconnects the private link with her com. He's still on the public party link set up between all your chrono's.

Realizing she going have to talk to the Cretin herself, Alyssa places the call. She's considering what to say while the old saw about catching more marsh flies with honey then vinegar echos somewhere in the back of her mind and knowing what she really rather say when the owner picks up the call.

"Well H-E-L-L-O Angel! Fancy you call me at a time like this? Let me guess, you must need something. You know it's gonna cost ya."
jedion357
Referee

Postby Will » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Inigo wrote:Savrax continues to focus on his scopes, looking for the targets while thinking to himself, “I know that I am still pretty green, but even a cadet could tell the difference between the heat signatures of a hovercar and a grav skier for kripes sake.”

OOC: I didn’t know if we could broadcast on all frequencies with a higher energy output than that of whatever comm. devices the GOCS were using in the hovercars or not. I am not a real life techie, but I believe that is the general idea behind jamming devices. Of course, I have been wrong in the past and you know what they say about the past repeating itself.

OOC-

My leaning would be that Chronocoms would be tough to jam but a ship based WNB would do it but that would not negate a subspace radio. I think the radio phone would be easier more like an radio broadcast on an open channel whereas the chronocom would be more of a closed circut broadcast like a cell phone to cell phone call.

The Hind, as a multi purpose marine shuttle probably does have attachment points for bombs but the corp didn't leave her sitting around armed for bear which is good at you might get some collateral damage on friendlies. At another time if you have the time to preplan an op you may be able to have the hind armed with bombs (maybe roll on rocket weapons skill for dropping them).

OOC:I would think the Goons would be low enough that the mountains might block chronocome and radiophone reception. Subspace radio transmissions wouldn't be, but their use requires careful aim of their antennae, and with a 100 SEU power consumption, would send out an electromagnetic signature that would be like sending up a flare...assuming the Hind has e-sensors.

Jedi, if the ship does have e-sensors, or if the Pelican has her e-sensors up and running, couldn't we use the electromagnetic signature of the hovercars themselves(radiations other than IR, such as parabattery usage)to generate a better firing solution on the enemy's hovercraft?!
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:48 pm

jedion357 wrote:IC:
Ajax patches the com number for B. Antrim through to Alyssa's chronocom leaving it for her to call Buzz as he pretends to misunderstand her order for him to place the call then disconnects the private link with her com. He's still on the public party link set up between all your chrono's.

Realizing she going have to talk to the Cretin herself, Alyssa places the call. She's considering what to say while the old saw about catching more marsh flies with honey then vinegar echos somewhere in the back of her mind and knowing what she really rather say when the owner picks up the call.

"Well H-E-L-L-O Angel! Fancy you call me at a time like this? Let me guess, you must need something. You know it's gonna cost ya."

For some reason, a calm settles over Lyssa.

She uploads the telemetry from Perry Field to Buzz's chronocom.

"Your parents and mine were murdered by people just like those in the mountains around Lapin and Perry Field," she says. "I would think that would be compensation enough for you."

She then hangs up.

Another sighs, as she brings the Hind down on the attacking hovercraft.

"Savrax, Grelude, as soon as you've generated firing solutions on those vogs...kill them. Dudd, all available power to the pod lasers."

"And," she tells the young Dral,"we are sworn to protect her, regardless."

"The consequences of that...we'll deal with later."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:31 am

OOC- The Captain because of her location at the start of this crisis was unable to be apart of this operation and is on her way to the Pelican which, though finished with its refit is still in its dock yard slip, Anyone who isn't actively posting will be assumed to be there taking part in getting the ship out of the dock and moving it to orbit over the region you're operating at. (There is possibility for one or more to get busy with game developments in another location if they get back to the game). The Pelican could use her energy sensor in the fashion you described when she gets on station but she not there now and the Hind doesn't have full up e sensors.

@Savarx: oooops just saw that I put my edit to your question in your post without crediting it to me, didn't mean to do that.

IC:
It didn't take the Golden Hind long to pick up the heat signatures of a burning hover cycle and two bodies. Setting the flight path to follow the downward slope Alyssa followed a trail of bodies (no wrecked hovercycles) then another hovercycle and body. Then the Hind's crew got their first view of the battle. There were two grav skiers trying to return fire on a hover car and one hover cycle. As they watched a yazerian on a grav ski hit a bump and went air born gaining air most probably through an up draft. In a slow motion air ballet he jettisoned his grav ski while looping and dropped like a stooping hawk on the hovercycle. His impact ripped the driver and his passenger off and the cycle tumbled to a stop. At that moment a hvy machine gun on the roof of the hover car shot the last grav skier and he went down.

Savrax and Grelude listening for the for the targeting computer's lock on tone fired in unison each controlling a pod laser [rolls 48 & 32 respectively]. The ship based lasers ripped the hover car an its occupants to pieces.

Alyssa banked and circle the battle site and the crew witnessed the yazerian Royal Guard grappling with two GOC terrorist when he suddenly activated two grenades in each hand and wrapped his arms around each opponent. The explosion of what had to be frag grenades stopped all movement on the ground.

OOC: You can't be 100% sure (without a physical inspection) but all the bodies you saw that were human seemed to be adult; the princess is 17, thin and slight of build.
the on board assets are Niss and the casualty recovery robot she brought along, Dudd, Slayerian, Ventura and all of the PCs who have been actively posting in this part (Alyssa, Savrax, and Grelude- though Grelude will be NPCed while Shadow is handling RL stuff).
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 am

IC: While Midshipwoman Blue and the team are considering what to do an especially violent gust of wind rocks the Hind forcing Alyssa to apply all her skill toward maintaining control.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Inigo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Savrax’s composure only betrays the slightest anxiety as he surmises the situation. “
If none of those remains are that of the Princess, then there are only two scenarios that come to my mind. Either the GOCs have, or have eliminated the Princess and were finishing up the witnesses…Or these guards of hers sacrificed themselves while leading the GOCs away from her position. My opinion is of the latter because I doubt the GOCs would feel the need to stick around to kill some failed guards. And I seriously doubt that any royal guard would be caught fleeing while their charge is in greater danger. Not to mention the acts of that last guard who killed himself along with the two GOCs. Still, should we not look for confirmation among the remains?”

As he was speaking, Sav was typing at his console, punching up an updated thermal image of the area, looking to see where the Princess could be. He also takes note of places that return no heat signatures that could be used to hide a person, such as a cave or the like. And aside from that, he checks the location of those jet copters.

He feels the wind fighting against the flight of the Hind and mentions to Alyssa; “It appears that we are running out of time in the air. We should consider finding a good place to set down.”

OOC: I assume hover cars and cycles leave no tracks in the snow. Same for gravskies? It would be too easy to just track the skiers back in order to find answers. I suppose the storm would hamper that anyway. How far are we from the air strip? If we had to go back there to land (and kill the copters and secure the strip before landing), how long would it take us to get back here if we liberated hovercars or other transport? And will infrared scans be able to penetrate this blizzard from orbit when it is at full force?
Inigo
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 pm

IC: As Savrax is considering the situation he realizes that the Hind's position is currently close to the bottom of the slope coming down from Ice Peak, very close to Glacier Bay as a shuttle flies. Querying the data uploaded to the shuttle he notes the presents of a vehicle park and ski lift serving both Glacier Bay Resort and Ice Peak though it's not on the map cobbled up map Ajax provided.

Niss intrudes, "Sir, Ajax provided us with the chronocom numbers of the Princess' party and I was able to use the med functions of my body comp to access the body scan programs on the Royal Guard combat harness which are essentially identical to ours as we flew over the battlefield. I can confirm that all but one of the security detail are dead. I've administered stay dose via his med inject implant but without immediate medical help he'll die in this cold. He back up slope about 500m if we were close enough to the ground it might be safe enough to jump with a parawing and that cycle the last Royal Guard stopped is likely still in working condition. It could be used to recover him."

Savrax started to respond that the mission was to recover the princess but Niss hurried on, "Or we could kick out the casualty recover bot from a low enough altitude that it wont take too much damage and send him to home in on the casualty and bring him to safety. I know the Royal Guard prides themselves on being willing to take a laser from the monarch but it goes against the grain to leave the man to freeze."

As Savrax is considering Niss's statements he locates the parking lot and ski lifts. The parking lot is a largely empty ceramicrete parking lot.
jedion357
Referee

PreviousNext

Return to Against the Night- Warriors of White Light