Battle of Prenglar

This is where we play. Threads for the setup, strategic movement of ships and individual battles.

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Battle of Prenglar

Postby Aethelwulffe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:38 am

Just verifying that we are using the canon rules and not house rules, as the survival of our fleet depends heavily on this one.
I could have swore that there is a Gauss screen...OK, so it is called an "electron screen" same thing....
At least I didn't take a manuevering hit. I was hoping for a hull hit. Anyway, all functioning weapons unload into the station. This includes Torps and rockets as well as beam weapons. Let's see a nice big blackout, a devastating fire, Big DCR hit, and maybe nix some weapons.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Location: The East Coast of the West Coast of the East Coast.

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Any defensive fire Will?

P.S. Sorry about the delay although we've kind of been waiting on Will. I've been busy doing a bunch of other stuff but mainly working on my computer version of this game. I'm just a couple weeks away from having a version you can actually fight a basic tactical battle in. You can move ships and select weapons and targets. I just need to add code for dealing with shooting at targets that passed through your field of fire as you/they moved and implement the basic damage calculation and cleanup of destroyed ships. After that it's adding the Advanced Game damage table, defensive systems, and code to handle edge cases (i.e. moving off the edge of the map, moving through the gravity field of a planet, running into a planet, setting up on the edge of the board, etc).
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Sorry, been sick and multitasking.

All beam battery weapons on all ships(and the fortress) will bear on Art's heavy cruiser.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Aethelwulffe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 pm

...Well the station bursts like a popped tire...
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Will » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:37 pm

I also launch ICMs against the inbound missiles, and deploy masking screens against the beams.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:01 pm

I assumed 2 ICM's against each inbound missile. Screens have to deployed on your movement turn.

Opening fire on the station, the Sathar Heavy Cruiser's gunners seem to have been distracted by passing through the mine fields as they all miss (sorry Art).

The station, on the other hand, fires it's 3 LB, 2 EB and a RB at the cruiser and only misses with one LB. The damage results in a hit on the combat control system (-10% to future attacks), a maneuvering hit forcing the cruiser to turn to the left, knocking out its Proton Screen and Electron Battery and the station's RB does double damage for 22 HP

With nothing else to fire at, the other UPF ships open up on the heavy cruiser as well. The mine layers both miss. The battleship connects with its LB (double damage - 16 HP), EB (ICM launcher knocked out), and PB (knocking out the cruisers MR). The light cruisers open fire and between the three of them connect with a LB (9 HP), a EB (knocking out the ES) and a PB (taking out the torpedo launcher). The two destroyers manage to hit with one of their EB doing 6 HP and the frigates manage to hit with one LB for 10 HP. The Assault Scouts missed completely.

When the sparks settle the Sathar Heavy Cruiser has lost a total of 63 HP (17 remaining), and most of it's weapons and defenses (LBx2, RB and SS remaining) and has no MR and a -10% to hit.

It is now the UPF's turn to move.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Aethelwulffe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Not even a LITTLE torpedo hit or something ..... :oops: Thank goodness those ships move a little further out now at least. Geez.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Will » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 am

Screens have to be deployed on movement? I always assumed since they were defensive, they could be deployed on defensive fire.

Oh well. The fortress and the ships with masking screens deploy them, as I activate the seekers on the east side of the map.

The battleship and light cruisers then turn to bring their main beam weapons to bear on the crippled heavy cruiser and fire.

The destroyer, frigate and assault scouts also turn to have the same facing as the capital ships.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:29 am

Just for clarification: Turning negates a masking screen. It goes in the original direction and your ship turns out of it.

Will I need specific movement instructions for the ships. If you want, just draw on the map and attach your marked up version to the post. Otherwise, I need, ADF used, MR used, where turns are made, etc. for each ship or group of ships.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Aethelwulffe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Whew...thank goodness.
Yes, your icky UPF ship are moving AWAY from us at speed 10 thank you!

Muahahahahhahahhahahahah!
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Will » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Destroyers will use 1 MR and no ADF to turn one hexside and move ten hexes to hex 2609.

Capital ships will turn one hexside and move ten hexes to hex 2709, using no ADF and one MR.

Minelayers will decelerate, move to hex 2726, using one ADF and one MR. Once there, they will use their LBs to try and finish off Art's heavy cruiser.

Fortress will fire its beam batteries only to try and finish off Art's heavy cruiser.

Seekers on the east side of the map are still going active.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Aethelwulffe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:48 am

Will wrote:Planet in 2619, Fortress in 2519 rotating CCW.

5 assault scouts, 3 frigates, fortress' fighters in hex 2119.
2 DD, LC and BB in hex 2219.
Minelayers in hex 2319.

All ships speed 10, facing west(oops!).

How do you get to hex 2709 from where you are at when you are headed west at speed 10? Maybe you mean 1709 and 1828?
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Samaritan » Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Hon. Commanders;

The battle for Prenglar is shaping up nicely. Drain the Worms over time and let Damage Control be your friend. The Sathar forces are coming in piecemeal and seem to be skittish about losing their carriers. As Carrier losses may be the defeat condition the Sathar have chosen, light em up and see what happens. They have us out gunned and armored here so time your with drawl carefully. Don't let the Battle station die in vain, but don't throw the Battleship away to accomplish that. Drop me a line in the private channel when you want to discuss strategy.

Respectfully

Samaritan

P. S. The Sathar have not appearantly caught on to their unbeatable winning tactic yet. Let's hope it stays that way while we tweak their noses about with these cryptic comments.
Samaritan
Frontiersman

Postby Terl Obar » Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Sorry about the delay guys. I've been busy working on the computer version of this game and have been negligent.

Will, Art is right, your ships are facing to the left of the map (W). You can't make those moves you posted. I'd recommend downloading the map, drawing on it and attaching the marked up one. The minelayers are as well, I oriented the chit so that front of the ship is facing the direction they are headed even though the text is 90 degrees off from the other chits.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Sun May 17, 2009 10:18 am

How 'bout this? I want the combatant ships facing Shadow's cruisers, more or less.

Then, I want the minelayers and the fortress to finish off Art's heavy cruiser.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Thu May 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Okay, this places your combat ships where you ended them with a speed of 11. The Minelayers only have 2 MR so they can't execute the turn you gave but they can do this:

Six Seeker Missiles activated in hex 3019 and started heading toward the lone heavy cruiser.

If that's okay with Will, everyone can declare their attacks.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Fri May 22, 2009 9:24 am

It's fine by me. Let's kick it.

LBs on the minelayers and batteries on the fortress all target Art's heavy cruiser to finish him off.

OOC: Wouldn't the eight frigs be nearer to the seekers than the cruiser? If not, oh well.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Aethelwulffe » Sun May 24, 2009 2:31 pm

I hate to be a weenie about all this movement and turns and rules stuff, but Will said his station was orbiting CCW.....and I am kinda hinging everything on that one little item, or else I would not deign to mention it.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Will » Sun May 24, 2009 3:34 pm

CCW would bring the fortress closer to your heavy cruiser.

CW would've taken the station away from it.

Tom's got it plotted correctly.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Aethelwulffe » Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 pm

I do hate to bring it up as I say, but...well let me re-check the posts...
Last edited by Aethelwulffe on Mon May 25, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Game