Chapter 1: Wanderings In the Dark

Set in the Star Frontiers setting 100 years after the original Warriors of White Light Module pursuing all new adventures in the classic setting. Most original TSR printed game materials are constitute history in this game.

Moderator: jedion357

Re: Chapter 1: Wanderings In the Dark

Postby simplymenotu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:17 am

Ike ask for volunteers to walk deck by deck to the engine room.
He'll be looking for robots or terminals that are not part of the main ships computer. One of them might have cameras in a closed circuit loop that are not part of the overall ship systems. Robots might have recorded information related to attackers.

Is the Ag ship growing a type of plant or herb that could be used in-system to manufacture illegal drugs?

Once in the engine room Ike will determine if they get power to the trust to stop the tumbling. He'll radio the Captain for a tug if necessary.
simplymenotu
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

Tannar started accessing the ship’s sensor logs looking for the last entries for a drive profile that would allow the Cloverdale’s attackers to be identified but the file was badly corrupted [roll: 99] and his attempts to clean it up were to no avail.
The ships logs turned up a video file of the bridge with the same time stamp for the attack. It showed a dralasite addressed as captain, the ships navigator, a human female named Larovia, and the dead man found in the breached dome as well as another human male and a maintenance robot. The scene played out with the navigator calling out two boggies on radar and the captain trying to raise them with no answer. The navigator working the ships optics announced a belief that she thought it was Knightblade and [name garbbled].
The dralasite captain immediately ordered an ion window and began trying to raise a ‘Captain Slade’. His hails went unanswered for ten minutes before the boggies activated a white noise broadcaster.
The ag ship played cat an mouse within the ion window till the smaller of the two boggies shot out an ion engine. After that the captain dropped the window. The crew left the camera’s pick but the captain and navigator came back accompanied by rough but nondescript but armed individuals.
The last moments for the captain and navigator played out with shouting about where Ellory, the drugs, and where Slade’s cut was. After several denials about knowledge of Ellory cutting the captain out or where his cut was and insisting that Ellory had been med lifted off the Cloverdale by the Royal Marines for emergency medical treatment Slade lost his cool and shot them both.
Slade ordered the ship ransacked and stripped of everything of value. Then he and a yazerain male named Skee moved closer to the camera pick up for a hushed conversation away from other members of their crew.
Slade spat, “Ellory’s on Clarion!”
“You think she’s talking to the fragging marines?”
“Naw, likely that dope been using too much of her own product and got herself poisoned. Possible the marines never realized it was because of the poppy.”
“We’ll squeeze the rest of crew and strip the ship. You sure about your contact on Wandren?”
“Aye, ‘e says Ellory has been skimming off the top of the poppy crop all these years and putting it in cold storage. She got drunk last layover in Wandren and bragged about being ready to cash in and disappear.”
“Huh, but where’s she hiding five years worth of crop skimming?”
“Could be on Wandren?”
“Maybe, maybe its time we pay a visit to the Streelies ourselves.”
“Got to be delicate about that lest we anger every other pirate band with numbered accounts in a Streelie bank.”
“What? Delicate is my middle name!” Slade paused then added, “Clean up here, we take everything we can strip and no funny business Skee.”
Slade left the camera pick up and Skee sauntered over to the computer station to watch the tech working there. Eventually Skee ordered him to wrap it up and pull the parabattery while he began prepping a charge of TD 19.
The tech asked, “Didn’t the captain tell you no funny business?”
“This ‘ere aint no funny business, just a little hello for the marines if they find the ship. ‘Sides we shorted those fragging LF twinks so much explosive that we’ll never be able to use it all. Got to do something with it.”
Skee’s laughter was cut off when the tech pulled the parabattery’s power leads.

“Well that explains a lot,” said Tanar.
With the sensor logs scrambled Tanar managed to pull some external camera footage but never got a good look at the Knightblade yet caught a clean image of the second boggie, a HS 2 privateer type ship. The ship in the image was most certainly armed with a forward firing laser (pod laser) and what was almost unmistakably an assault rocket port.
Next Tanar culled through the Captain’s logs and ships ledger to discover [roll: 36] that for years the Cloverdale had been paying protection money to the Knightblade and it’s Captain, though Slade had only been the Captain for 1.5 years. It appears they had been diverting part way toward Planaron each month. It appeared the protection money was simply to ensure the safe passage of the Cloverdale but five years ago with the addition of Horticulturist Hazel Ellory to the crew it began to include a cut of the drug crop for sale on Planaron.
Checking the maintenance logs Tanar discovered [roll: 35] an odd pattern, the robot management program routinely requested the replacement of one of the external water tanks and then the request was deleted. He tried to track the origin of the deletion [roll: 88] but the person doing so had covered their tracks well. All he could say is that it originated on the crew deck.
In answer to Ike’s request, “The robotic management program says the ship carries 15 farming bots and 5 maintenance bots.”

On deck two, officer’s quarters, Ike and crew, after Grelude sweeps the deck for explosives, discover the captain’s, navigator’s and engineer’s quarters ransacked and their personal computers missing. The crew deck (deck 3) followed the same pattern. Ike managed to compile a crew roster from clues found on the doors and in the rooms of everyone’s quarters:

Captain Deek Rollo (D) Found dead on bridge
Engineer Yung Lieh-Ma (H) Found dead in breached dome
Navigator Larovia Khistova (H) found dead on bridge
Roboticist Dalton Pembroke (H) found dead in breached dome
Technician Kaun Ret (Y) Missing
Horticulturalist Hazel Ellery (H) Missing
Gardener S’kar S’l (V) Missing

On deck 4, they found a large open cargo bay with a small walled off room that was an after thought add on. The cargo hold was a mess, its lockers, crates, and containers were tossed about and ransacked but also empty. There was a blood pool and a smear that lead to the small walled off area. There were some tracks in the blood pool that lead off all over the room but no tracks in the smear that looked like it was left by a crawling being.
Inside the small room they found an autodoc and the remains of a ransacked med facility. In the autodoc was the corpse of Technician Kaun Ret. He had managed to crawl into the autodoc but with the parrabattery missing he had expired.

OOC: aside from the dead bodies you find no robots, portable computers and it looks like they pirates made off with most anything of value. Any changes to your search or just proceed as is to engineering? I assume an NPC is watching Tanar’s back on the bridge if he finishes there he can play catch up with the team or if there are more data searches you want done. He cannot power up external sensors (like radar and cameras) and is limited to direct access of equipment to power it in the manner he’s doing.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby simplymenotu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:46 am

OOC: I'm assuming Tanar played the sound back through our helmets.
"That still leaves Ellery and S'kar missing. Looks like we ascertained the cause of the ships demise. Good job Tanar."
Ike will continue to engineering with the team to see if he can get some power to stabilize the ship. Grelude sweeps the deck for explosives taking time in the engine room where things tend to go boom louder than other areas. :D
simplymenotu
Explorer

Postby Will » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 pm

(while on the bridge)

"Skipper," Lyssa says,"I think the Streelies need to be warned about the pirates coming to visit them. Suggest you upload the data we have to them as a sign of good faith."

As much as it galls her to give the Streelies any help, it isn't just their lives which are at risk.

"Also," she says,"we should run a check on Knightblade and this Slade, against the RM and Star Law databases, see what we're up against."

"I say we leave Tanar and Ajax on the bridge and make our way aft towards engineering, Clanton," she then adds.

OOC: Needless to say, she joins the rest of the crew.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Will wrote:"Skipper," Lyssa says,"I think the Streelies need to be warned about the pirates coming to visit them. Suggest you upload the data we have to them as a sign of good faith."

As much as it galls her to give the Streelies any help, it isn't just their lives which are at risk.

"Also," she says,"we should run a check on Knightblade and this Slade, against the RM and Star Law databases, see what we're up against."

Captain, "Agreed, I've already queried our data base on the Knightblade but there is nothing there, I'll raise the RM listenning post on Wandren and have them relay a warning to the Streelies as well as a request to Clarion to see if there is anything on the Knightblade in the larger data bases there. Please, expedite, and leave the beacon for a tug, I think we need to high tale it back to Wandren."
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 pm

“This ‘ere aint no funny business, just a little hello for the marines if they find the ship. ‘Sides we shorted those fragging LF twinks so much explosive that we’ll never be able to use it all. Got to do something with it.”

Grelude snorts. "Now we know who supplied those shatty Roost terrorists." He grimaces behind his vacc helmet, "I'm looking forward to meeting this Skree..." Patting the pouch containing the deactivated charge, "Got a little package here, return to sender!"

Grelude will continue with the group, sweeping for any more of Skree's special greeting cards.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby simplymenotu » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 am

"Heh, good one Grelude. You always know how to make that special person feel welcome."
"Good thinking Lyssa." (that girl sure has a good head on her shoulders) "You heard the Captain. Let's Move!"
Ike and team will follow the same path back to the waiting shuttle and workpods since they have already been sniffed for greeting cards.
simplymenotu
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm

"Looks like we're packing up the shop," Tanar comments to Ajax. "XO just said to return to the ship." Tanar will shut down the system after dumping all the data he can into his comp and join up with the rest of the team.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:16 pm

"Good, I've had enough of this floating tomb anyways. Let's shake our lug nuts back to the ship."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:57 pm

"Agreed," Lyssa remarks, as she leads the bulk of the team back to the launch.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:20 am

OOC: LOL when the captain said expedite she meant finish what your doing quickly but letS move on anyway (it may be that this kind of investigation doesn't play well in PBP).
Experience awards:
1 point/active player for the encounter on Wandren
2 points for Lyassa, Grelude, Tanar, and Ike for the Cloverdale encounter
1 point for Ajax in the Cloverdale encounter (since he was NPCed)

[flash=]NOTE: ANYONE WANTING TO GET INTO THE GAME NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO IRON OUT YOUR PC SHEET- I'LL HAVE A SHIP LINK UP WITH THE PELICAN TO TRANSFER MAIL, SUPPLIES AND PERSONNEL.[/flash]
(I'm aware of two looking to join the game)

IC:

With the team, having returned to the Pelican, the ship was about to get under way when Tanar's energy sensors lit up.
"Void footprint! Bearing 033 by 813, range 410K."
The captain responded, "Out here? This is way off the beaten path for all the established jump routes."
"Could be a slight miscalculation causing only a slight misjump," mused Lyssa.
"It's more likely that a miscalculation would drop them out of the void outside their destination system altogether. If its a misjump then Clarion wasn't their system at all."

Suddenly Tanar tensed and made some rapid adjustments on his instruments.
"He's just shut down his atomic drive, I've lost him."

The captain answers, "Its a security measure used by smugglers and pirates; they coast at awhile at .9%C to put a distance between themselves and the locale of their void footprint. Makes it tough for patrol craft to run them down. We'll send a contact report and proceed back to Wandren. Maybe another ship will be better placed with the speed to intercept this joker. Mr. Daagron see to it Clarion Control has the best energy signature you can refine for this contact."

"Aye, Aye captain. Designating unknown contact P485 and updating Clarion Control."
After a brief moment the captain says, "We catch the one we can, and hope we come across the energy sig another time of those we can't."

OOC: Unknown contacts that a ship cant run down are given a letter code usually the first letter of the ship's name that spotted the contact and a number. In this case this is the 485th unknown contact that the Pelican has spotted in her career with the Royal Marines.

IC: The Pelican micro jumped back toward Wandren and was able to link up with CMS Nightingale which had also micro jumped to Wandren and the 'Gale had the same relative speed.
En route to Wandren the Pelican and the Nightingale receive a mayday. Wandren is under attack....

OOC: Sorry to leave it there I have to deal with family things. I will set up the particulars soon.
jedion357
Referee

Postby jedion357 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:07 pm

IC: With Dudd on watch in engineering and Slayerian pulling "idiot light watch" (meaning he'd call for an officer if an alarm went off) on the bridge the captain was holding a briefing in the conference room with the commander of the Nightingale attending by videocom.

"It seems," the captain was saying, "from the data that Mr. Daagron pulled from the Cloverdale's ledgers that protection money has been paid to pirates since the first day she operated in White Light. The drug operation based on the Cloverdale appears to have started five years ago with the addition of a new horticulturalist to her crew, Hazel Ellery."
Nightingale's commander spoke up, "We med flighted her on the 'Gale six weeks ago and delivered her to Clarion station. She was transferred to Port Royal for treatment but disappeared out of the detox center 9 days ago."
"I image that we'll be stepping up random inspections of all ag ships in system in the..."
An alarm chirped at Tanar's console of the conference table. At the same time the Nightingale's commander turned his head to listen to something said outside of his video pick up. Almost in unison he and Tanar announced, "Mayday from Wandren, they're under attack!"

Back on the bridge the brief message was replayed, "This is Lt Jeffers, we're under attack by 3 vessels, a Moonbright Stinger Class privateer supported by two..." The message broke up in static.
"That's all, I think a white noise broadcaster cut it off." announced Tanar. "The message is 5 seconds old."
"Our position?"
"300,400,000 km out, at a steady 1g decel we'll reach Wandren in 3 hours. Current speed is 77 (KH speed)."
"Ms. Blue, do you have the stats on the Moonbrite Stinger Class?"
"HS 9 with laser cannon, 2 seeker missiles, electron beam battery, 6 ICM."

OOC: You have the Pelican, an assault scout, and the Golden Hind going against 3 enemy vessels Alyssa will have to command the armed shuttle with Dudd as her flight engineer plus a gunner (I havent worked up stats for Ventura or Slayerian yet and either one of them might be picked up soon by a new player or I'll do stats and at least one will be beam weapons qualified so you have 1 NPC laser gunner, plus Grelude to divy up between the Pelican and Hind, Umungus's character is going rocket gunner so he stays on the pelican to push the big red button on the nuclear torpedoes. Tanar will ride the Pelican as well with the Captain piloting it plus Ike as XO will stay at his post as well so you all will want to discuss among yourselves how to divy up control of the 3 ships on your side (one of you will need to direct the Nightingale, one the Pelican, and I assume Will will control the Golden Hind). Plus specify where Grelude is riding.

You can arrive at Wandren orbit at a speed of 0 in three hours or burn in at speed 77 (talk about a flyby!) or any speed you want to use. You get the speed advantage as the pirates appear to be looking for something on the planet that means they will have 0 or very low speed. The only terrain is the planet itself. and you are unaware of the Streelies having an armed ship on hand.

I have some questions out to someone for advice on handling KHs in PBP game anyone else is welcome to pinp me by email concerning that as well- I'm debating how to handle a number of things as I've never run a KH game in this venue before.
heres my thoughts
1. full advance rules for damage as using basic rules wont speed the game any faster
2. was thinking The Vector movement rules would be good to try out but I'm not sure
3. debating how to handle a ship moving against targets on the ground during a KH battle.

Bear with me on this as I'm learning as I go but I hope you're all having fun.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Will » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:22 pm

jedi wrote:1. full advance rules for damage as using basic rules wont speed the game any faster
2. was thinking The Vector movement rules would be good to try out but I'm not sure
3. debating how to handle a ship moving against targets on the ground during a KH battle.

My thoughts:

1. The advanced game rules will work just fine.
2. Shadow and I have a passing familiarity with Art's rules, but it's been almost two years. Only Tom knows the rules completely, as he's helped Art on the design end. I don't know how familiar/comfortable Larry is with the vector rules.

I say stick with standard KH movement for now.

3. People and vehicles will automatically be destroyed by starship weaponry. As for buildings, I suggest dividing their structural point values by 20 to come up with Hull Point ratings.

IC: "Dudd, Slayerian, with me!" Lyssa snaps, adrenaline coursing through her body, making her tremble slightly, as she runs full speed to the airlock to which the Hind is attached, dropping down through the lock into the shuttle, strapping herself in, as Dudd takes the engineering station and pre-flights the bird, the Yaz taking gunnery with an ease born of expirience, as the leader one of the Pelican's boarding parties reports they are on board and buttoned up.

"Hold on!" she shouts, as she undocks the Hind, and burns toward Wandren at speed 78(speed "borrowed" from Pelican plus 1 ADF).
Last edited by Will on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby simplymenotu » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:36 pm

OOC: I'm comfortable with KH Vector movement but would suggest abstracting the ship combat.

Tanar will ride the Pelican as well with the Captain piloting it plus Ike as XO will stay at his post as well so you all will want to discuss among yourselves how to divy up control of the 3 ships on your side (one of you will need to direct the Nightingale, one the Pelican, and I assume Will will control the Golden Hind). Plus specify where Grelude is riding.

Pelican: Captain, Tanner and Ike
Nightingale: ?
Golden Hind: Lyssa, Dudd and Slayerian
simplymenotu
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:13 pm

IC: Twenty minutes after the mayday from the RM listening station a subspace message comes from the head of Streel security, "Hello, Pelican, are you there? Can you here me? We've got a shuttle on the ground disgorging troops plus another lining up for another strafing run on our transmitter and a mad man in orbit ranting about his share. They're opening all the shipping containers left in container row. They're employing a white noise broadcaster..."
A tech behind him screems "Incoming!" The subspace transmission ends abruptly.

OOC: ultimately someone will need to call the shots for each ship in Order of Battle. Ships with multiple players on board may need some some discussion. And someone will need to jockey the assault scout.

Plus for at least your opening moves you may want a cohesive battle plan then once the fecal matter is well and truly stuck into the rotary air impeller go with a more Battle of Traffalgore plan (ie: just shoot at what ever enemy ship you see)

IMPORTANT: there may be more going on here and there may be a need to set at least a squad down on the surface. If the pirates have 2-3 hours to consolidate their position its likely the will have people on the ground so this problem may not be just a KH problem but also a AD problem. and may require you to put boots on the ground as well either during or after the KH encounter. only two of your ships can land and one is likely to be a better for a combat drop than the other.

Assume your life support packs are topped off pack your personal weaponry too.

Soo I'll need to know a few things
1. who's controlling what
2. whats the basic plan
3. What speed you plan to use on the approach to Wandren
4. any and all plans or actions you are taking during this 3hr (or less) time window you have.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Shadow Shack » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:29 am

1. full advance rules for damage as using basic rules wont speed the game any faster

I prefer as close to canon as possible, but I'll leave that up to the pilot players to decide since they'll be the ones moving the ships...I'm just blasting away at the controls of my BFG (big freakin' gun) anyways so it doesn't make much of differnce to me LOL

BIC - Grelude will stick with the Pelican, she's a tough old bird but slow and sloppy for maneuvers, so she'll need all the help she can get in a firefight.

Grelude will request the communications officer to attempt a clean up of the recorded message, trying to pick up on any pirate cant that may be on the subspace waves.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:52 am

OOC:
I've been thinking about how the vector rules would play out in this style of play and I think there might be a lot of room for confusion and fustration and if a game is suppose to be fun we should keep it simple- The style of PBP play leaves you plenty of time to work out time consuming moves but I'm guessing cannon rules are are going to be a good baseline to keep things going
Thanks for the imput.

FYI, in case you didn't notice, the MoonBright Stinger Class privateer is straight out of the Dragon magazine privateers & yatchs return.

PS: taking on targets on the ground during a space battle will be abstracted a bit with jinking around in the gravity well effectively using 2 KH turns for one attack but with a hefty bonus for both strafing and evasion rolls. or you can shoot at targets from space at standard success rates and no time/ turn being lost.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Will » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:42 am

IC: "Streel Security," Lyssa says over comms, on the off chance Yannech will receive,"this is Golden Hind, reinforcements are en route to your position."

Hopefully, in vogging time. she thinks to herself.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby jedion357 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Will wrote:IC: "Streel Security," Lyssa says over comms, on the off chance Yannech will receive,"this is Golden Hind, reinforcements are en route to your position."

Hopefully, in vogging time. she thinks to herself.

OOC: In all likelihood the pirates had the surface transmitters as priority targets luckily for the corporate boys and the Marines the bulk of the living and working areas are below several meters of rock and ice- even if they were nuked from orbit (over kill for taking out a transmitter) its highly likely there will be survivors and defending tunnels and choke points underground will play in the defender's favor.

Also attempts to raise them by subspace as Alyssa just tried may bear fruit and generate usable tactical info. As any freighter or other Corporate ship at Wandren is likely to have a subspace radio which is immune to WNB, its almost a certainty that both the RM station and the STreel site have back up subspace radios that could be broken out and aligned (takes time).

IC:
Having just transferred aboard the Pelican from the Nightingale, Mantin 'Chit Chang had barely had time to stow his space locker and get oriented with the Pelican. It wasn't as sleek, shiny and new like the Nightingale, but for an old converted freighter she was as well maintained as any other RM vessel.
"Mr 'Chit Chang, welcome aboard, normally I make time for a formal interview with new crew members but under the circumstances..." the captain shrugged her shoulders, "I guess a baptism by fire in combat will have to due instead."
Captain Zyrova smiled then added, "Man the torpedoes if you will and run a full weapons check."
"Aye, aye captian."
'Chit Chang was glad he had studied the Pelicans schematics on the flight out so that he knew exactly where to go to man the torps. He ran threw the checks which all came up green for both torpedoes.
"Torpedoes check green by green on both fish, Captain."
"Well then, Mr. 'Chit Chang, you may arm the nukes."
'Chit Chang breathed deep, up till now he had only live fired assault rockets and ICM. His academy training had included simulated firing of everything from seeker to rocket batteries but now he'd have the power of thermonuclear fire at his digit tips. After arming the fish he glance at the big red button covered by a plastic shield and wondered at what had brought a vursk from the wrong side of the mag-lev on K'Tsa-kar to be a Royal Marine with his digits poised above the firing switch for nuclear torpedoes.
jedion357
Referee

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Since my position on the Pelican is effectively non-combatant during a KH battle, I'd be willing to run the Nightingale in a KH battle. As for running such a beast, I'd go with Shadow, stick to the canon rule sets, it makes it simple. I'd say you could use the full up Advanced combat with skills for this small of a fight without any problem. As for the mechanics of actually playing out the battle, you can look at the KH boardgame campaign here on this site or to the space battles in Shadows Dominion game for ideas.

Typically, you post positions, we declare movement and shots and you resolve and move the other side and call their shots. The one variation I recommend, especially to speed up PBP games is to declare all defensive fire to be simultaneous. That way, the players can move and declare their shots in one posting instead of having to move, wait for the defensive fire round and then declare shots. It just speeds things up (plus it is more realistic).
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Against the Night- Warriors of White Light