Serena Dawn 2

Moderators: jedion357, Samlangdon

Serena Dawn 2

Postby jedion357 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:06 am

Ok, my rather incomplete deck plans for the SD2 are being used in this game but they are, at least IMHO, more visually pleasing then the original deck plan.

They are incomplete and I can state what I intended but clearly the referee is the arbiter of what is and isn't. That said I thought I'd post the maps here and then offer some ideas.

A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Re: Serena Dawn 2

Postby jedion357 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 am

Ok, Sci-fi fans I just noticed that there are accommodations for 16 on deck 3 which means there are 4 double cabins for the 8 armored goons and 4 double cabins for our team of 6. Since my character was using his cabin as a makeshift medical office for part of the trip I guess we can assume he bunked alone. Dalmar and Gekka were bunking together. Perhaps the 2 humans were bunking in one and Gideon got the last cabin.

Since there are 4 cabins in the 12 to 3 o'clock position and 4 cabins in the 9 to 12 o'clock position I would assume that our whole team would be in one group of cabins and the armored goon squad had the other group of cabins. There could also be another deck of cabins beneath this one as well but so far that has not been in evidence in Sam's Post.

I typically envisioned SD2 as a tramp freighter with some limited passenger accommodations, 2nd class and journey class. The journey class berths are in the medical area as I figured that a journey class berth was actually an application of freeze field/stasis field technology and thus would require some medical support while putting people under or taking them out of the field. I also thought that journey class berths could possibly incorporate life pod technology and in a situation where the ship blows they eject and make for an inhabited planet however i did not make that obvious with these berths in medical as they are not all lined up next to the outer hull to facilitate ejection. Again my vision of this being just a tramp freighter could have been in play and just like the fact the ship lacks an elevator it also lacks this safety feature on its journey class berths.

deck 4 had I mapped it would have had the same 3 section layout as the rest of the decks with kitchen, dining area, and rec room. Its just an unarmed freighter so I didn't see that it needed a lot of crew and without first class cabins there would be little need for service personnel thus the limited crew accommodations on deck one though they got their own private lounge to chill in when off duty.

Basic design was similar to the large and small freighter deck plans included in the KHs games on the other side of the SW2 strategy game map (ie the cover to the Warriors of White Light module) - a forward section with limited engineering section (deck 5) and a tail boom that connected cargo containers- when I ran this mod at the table top that tail boom had a cargo container with the teams supplies and vehicles and one heavy duty construction robot to help with the drop buildings (no Life support in the container so unaccessible) drop buildings configured for drop and also unaccessible and the freighter which was accessible through the tail boom. I reasoned that the SD2 encounter with the pirates didn't leave the pirates a lot of time to raid the ship so externally mounted stuff on a tail boom would be very simple to disconnect then blow the ship.

Deck 5 would have had the same 3 section layout as the rest of the ship but with a floor hatch at the very center to access the tail boom.

As a referee I'm not adverse to a little bit of rail roading once and a while if absolutely necessary but with these deckplans i tried to allow for multiple lines of advance and to give the players options for game play rather than a linear line of advance thus the 3 ladder wells with air tight doors and lots of those doors.
A second year delivery driver who still could not back up his van told me, "Its Not that I Cant back it up a van its that I Dont want to." Funny I use to say the same about sex in high School.
jedion357
Referee

Postby rattraveller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 am

Just to be picky the Serena Dawn is supposed to be a starliner. I always equated this to a comfortable ship with limited defences which was chartered for this mission. While in the Army we were frequently transported on an airline (forgot the name) which specialized in large group charter travel. Like the kind that needed 7 or 8 727s to transport.

Still remember the Captain announcing that we should not store M16s or M60s in the overhead compartments in turbulance knocked them open and they fell on our heads.
rattraveller
Explorer

Postby jedion357 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 am

Sam called it a converted starliner, I did these plans with a tramp freighter in mind. you could state that the cabins pictured on deck 3 were actual storage space converted recently for 2nd class berths and that the medical area with the journey class berths is a recent add on as well in a former storage space then why not? The SD 2 has been contracted to run teams of personnel around for various outfits of which the government of pale is only the latest. The ship does this instead of its original freight hauling mission. The reason for the change is that its small and not as economical a freighter as bulk carriers so the owner has gotten creative by making it a specialized transport and takes any risky mission (like the Volturnus Survey Expedition) because he can charge high premiums and if the ship is lost the insurance payout will let him buy a new one that is more up to date.

Though I just checked- if we call each square on the deck plan 1 meter then the ship is about 28 meters in diameter which puts her into the HS 7 or so range for KHs
jedion357
Referee

Postby corkman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:18 am

WOw! THat is some work on the SD2 and it is commendable. Great work!
"A man's got to know his limitations!" Inspector Harry Callahan
corkman
Ranger

Return to Equipment