Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby Shadow Shack » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:34 am

Sebastian tightens the bulkhead straps and braces for the change of gravity. He's really not looking forward to a rough atmospheric entry...but a plan's a plan.

"This is probably gonna leave a mark."
Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:34 am

Let me know how you guys want to come in relative to the base. How far, what direction, etc. Gren had suggested putting the bots on one side and you on the other. Are making two drops or just one and somebody has to take the long route, or do you have a different plan? Are you making a recon flyby, etc? Let me know and I'll give you your details about the landing.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:15 pm

(OOC: I'm assuming that either Leo or Sebastian gave up a pair of magnigoggles.

BIC:
Malcom straps into the gunner's seat on the atmospheric bridge. He puts on the magnigoggles long enough to adjust the fit, then lets them dangle around his neck.

"I'm all ready there chief," he says to Maria. "Just let me know when we're getting close to the base for our fly-by. I'll put these on for a good look-see."
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby estradling » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 am

Swapping his goggles for the radiophone Leo straps in for the approach
estradling
Scout

Postby Will » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Terl Obar wrote:Let me know how you guys want to come in relative to the base. How far, what direction, etc. Gren had suggested putting the bots on one side and you on the other. Are making two drops or just one and somebody has to take the long route, or do you have a different plan? Are you making a recon flyby, etc? Let me know and I'll give you your details about the landing.

OOC: One orbit for recon and possible strafing of targets of opportunity.

One orbit for insertion and strafing, with the explorer team being dropped off just outside the compound(using a 30-30 insertion)and the bots being dropped inside the compound.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Will » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 pm

"To recap," Maria says over comms,"we're going to orbit twice, using aerobraking to keep us from burning to a crisp in atmo. First orbit's a recon flyby; Malcom will strafe at any targets of opportunity, while we use energy sensors and, hopefully the eyes of any convenient satellite.

Second orbit', we descend into atmosphere, using the jets to brake us as we lose altitude. Just outside the compound, where the explorer team will be dropped using a 30-30 insertion, and the Dart will begin strafing at that point. The moment we pass over the camp, I will put the brakes on, hover the ship over the site and drop the bots."

"Least that's the plan," she adds,"and, as we all know, no plan of battle survives contact with the enemy. Malcom, Leo, keep your eyes peeled for any craft which even look hostile; Mal, use your judgement, but if they're inbound on anything remotely resembling an attack vector, burn it."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:54 pm

OOC: What is a 30-30 insertion? I'll admit I've never heard that term before.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 am

OOC: An insertion made at thirty knots and thirty feet above the deck; Navy SEALs do it all the time.

Of course, the actual speed will be a little slower and the altitude a little lower, so as not to wreck the explorer and its occupants.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Maria wrote:Malcom, Leo, keep your eyes peeled for any craft which even look hostile; Mal, use your judgement, but if they're inbound on anything remotely resembling an attack vector, burn it.

"You got it Cap'n," Malcom days with a mock salute. "Shoot first, ask questions later. I'll try to contact any remaining staff after the drops, if we're not being shot at."
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby cliff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:43 pm

"Who's gonna drive the explorer?"
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Will » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:08 am

BD Cerridwen wrote:
Maria wrote:Malcom, Leo, keep your eyes peeled for any craft which even look hostile; Mal, use your judgement, but if they're inbound on anything remotely resembling an attack vector, burn it.

"You got it Cap'n," Malcom days with a mock salute. "Shoot first, ask questions later. I'll try to contact any remaining staff after the drops, if we're not being shot at."

"Well,"Maria quips back,"I'd rather ask questions first, but I'm afraid they'd only answer us with lasers."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:57 pm

During the less turbulent parts of the Dart's descent, he leans over to the co-pilot's seat and calls up the Robot Management program. He assigns Hercules Alpha to the command of Cerberus Gamma and Cerberus Beta once on the ground. Hercules Beta will take Cerberus Alpha and Delta. He instructs them to execute the Restrain Protocol on biologicals who exhibit aggressive behavior and Destroy protocol against aggressive robots. They may switch from restraint to deadly force against biologicals once they run out of tangler grenades. He assigns a primary objective to seize and hold the base's computer room, secondary objective to seize and hold the power station, and, should resistance prove to be such as to make either of these objectives improbable for the six robots, they should hold their position until relieved. The two fire teams should work together to achieve their objectives, with one providing cover fire while the other moves, taking full advantage of any available cover. The combat robots are also instructed to send coordinates of heavily defended areas to the Dart.

That done, he takes a pair of cleansing breathes. "Ok. Let's rock'n'roll."
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:04 am

Sorry for the slow week guys. I've been busy getting the latest issue of the Star Frontiersman magazine out. I'll post some more on the adventure shortly.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:42 pm

OOC: Sokay, Tom, and thanks for stepping up.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Technically you actually have to land the Dart on it's tail to get the explorer out as it is tied down in the hold against what would be the "floor" in normal space operations and the "wall" in atmospheric flight. With practice you could probably get the doors open, the ramp out and the explorer on the ground in about 60 seconds and have the Dart back in the air. However, unless you intend to set down within potential heavy weapon range of the base, we're not going to worry about that detail.

So I need two pieces of information.
1) How high up do you want to do a recon flyby? That will determine your on-ground resolution. Your Astrogator knows the details of your ship's optics (received in a PM) and how they will fare for resolution on the ground.
2) Are you going to set the 'bots down on one side of the compound and then hop over to the other to drop the explorer (as has been suggested by some) or just set down at a single point?

Some additional information:
  • if you decide you want to try to do strafing flybys with the Dart, it can make a pass once every four combat turns.
  • The Dart can't hover unless it does so nose up with the main engines. The atmospheric engines and wing design limit it to a minimum speed of 150 kph or 250 m/turn. It's really a space ship that just happens to have some atmospheric capabilities
  • A full all the way around orbit of the planet takes 80 minutes. From that altitude (>350km), you will not have very good resolution with your optics of sites on the ground.
  • You can come in at any angle into the atmosphere. With your atomic engines, you can effectively stop above your landing site and drop straight down if you want. Your engines are strong enough to bring you down to flight speed before you even enter the atmosphere.
Some narration as you approach the planet:

As the Dart draws nearer to New Pale, your computer begins to make sense of the few hundred radar contacts you have picked up around the planet. Most of them seem to be routine: communication and remote sensing satellites, a half dozen stations in orbit, tens of dozens of ships, mostly hull size one or two shuttles clustered in orbits associated with that of the stations. After a few more minutes of analysis only seven ships stand out as possibly needing more attention. They are the only ones that have highly inclined orbits that would occasionally bring them over the mining site. All of the others are fairly close to the equatorial plane. There is a large HS 16 vessel in a polar orbit accompanied by a pair of HS1 shuttles. A fourth ship, HS 4, appears around the limb of the planet and appears to be completing an orbital insertion burn with it's atomic engines having just lifted off from the far side of the planet. Next there is a HS 10 freighter, looks like an East Indianman class. It appears to have a HS 1 shuttle next to it and doing some loading. Finally there is a small HS 3 ship that has the looks of a small yacht. All of the ships have orbits that either took them over the camp in the last two orbits or will do so in the next three or four.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby cliff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:22 pm

O.O.C. Does a character need the Technician skill to drive a vehicle? If not, Gren will drive the explorer.

B.I.C. "I think I'm likeing the idea of one drop-off point for everyone going dirt side, then send the bots one way and the rest of us go the other."
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Referee wrote:A fourth ship, HS 4, appears around the limb of the planet and appears to be completing an orbital insertion burn with it's atomic engines having just lifted off from the far side of the planet.

Mal switches the pod controls to their space settings and starts to actively track the HS4 ship coming up from the far side of the planet. He has a sneaking suspicion that it might be another Streel Corvette class.

"Give me a quarter roll left," he says to Maria. "I want a good view of the HS4 ship. Where's Leo? He should be taking a peek at this too."

If it is a corvette, he thinks, that could mean an extra 20 bad guys at the base plus a hold full of robots. ... Or it could be evacuating as well. Either way, getting some hull numbers might prove useful.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm

cliff wrote:O.O.C. Does a character need the Technician skill to drive a vehicle? If not, Gren will drive the explorer.

Instant house rule: No, anyone can drive the ground vehicles as long as you don't try to do anything fancy (jumping 30 parked cars, high speed turns on two wheels, etc ;) ).
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:46 am

OOC --- I thought there was a Tech:2 ruling for explorers so if we need to do any "fancy stuff" perhaps the engineer or myself could grab the wheel, although since Seb is providing cover fire for the landing somebody has to get it out of the ship's hold.

BIC --- if the Dart has to perform a tail-down insertion, Sebastian will be ready to position himself along the bulkhead as needed. Either way, once the bay door opens he will simultaneously pop the outer hatch open as well, bringing Chatterbox to bear. Once the explorer is on the ground and all is clear, he will make his way to the ground and join the explorer crew (lugging the machine gun). Assuming a tail-down maneuver, he'd have to use the lift shaft and exit via the tail cone rather than leaping the length of the ship and take falling damage...come to think of it...

"Maria, try to bring the ship a close to a hover as you can. Unless anybody's got a parawing, it's gonna be a bit of a drop for me!"
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:18 am

This is a feature I seem to have forgotten to put in the ship description but was always in my mind when I designed the ship. The Dart has a ramp that deploys out over the rudder (using it for support) in a vertical landing mode that the Explorer can drive down and Sebastian can run down directly out of the cargo bay. It can be extended/retracted from the bridge or from the cargo bay as needed.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure