Mission 1: Search and Rescue

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Mission 1: Search and Rescue

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Maria wrote:"Well, why didn't ya say so, sugar?" Maria replies, laying it on thick. "This is the Dart, outbound from Pale, on a resupply run to the base. Surely, Tracking Control at Simeon's Rest informed you of our arrival in orbit. "

"If you give me a minute," she adds,"I'll upload our manifest for you to look at."

"The Dart," comes the reply after a brief pause, a hint of surprise in his voice, "You guys are early, we weren't expecting you for a few more days. There are a couple of other ships on the pad but there is plenty of room to land. Come on in."

Leo wrote:Leo looked through the various radio frequencies on the off chance that the base computer has a radio link he can hack through.
No joy.

That little bit of conversation took up 3 turns. You are now 3500 m from the SPDR. If you want you could have started firing about the time Maria said "upload our manifest". You could get one shot then and another as the reply came in (although if you shoot I'll modify the reply somewhat). At this range Malcom has a 25% chance to hit the SPDR. He will have that 25% chance to hit for the next 5 rounds until you reach 2000 m distance at which point it will jump to 65% and you will be in extreme range of the SPDR's laser as well.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:49 pm

"This has an unpleasnt odor to it," Maria remarks to herself, as she uploads the ship's manifest to the base.

"A very unpleasant odor," she repeats.

"Your call, Malcom," she says. "Take the shot or not, though, at this range, all we'll be doing is making them mad."
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Shadow Shack » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:52 pm

"Get in closer for a better shot," Sebastian calls over the intercom. "If that thing's only sporting a heavy laser, it'll take at least a few hits to penetrate a man sized hole through our reflective hull. Just keep stalling 'em on the radio until we get into a decent range. Too bad I don't have that recoilless up here at the moment...those things have some range!"
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:25 pm

B'Looone asks, "can we get a voice print ID on this guy? How about a name to check against our files? Something?"
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:48 am

B'Loone rapidly punches in a voice print on his engineering console (those two seats are configured so that they can be used during atmospheric flight as well). There were only two human males on the mining staff it shouldn't take long. While he is waiting for the computer to finish Sebastian calls out his recommendation to hold fire. Two turns pass as that activity is going on.

You are now 2900m from the SPDR, still on an oblique course that passes to the SW of the camp. The computer completes it's analysis just as your radio comes to life again. "Dart, you are still on a flyby course, are you coming in or not? You guys still with us?" the base controller calls out. B'Loone's computer screen reads:

Voice Print Analysis:
Subject Match
Ander Helmut 3.32%
Peter Ritz 6.03%

No conclusive match found.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Terl Obar wrote:B'Loone rapidly punches in a voice print on his engineering console (those two seats are configured so that they can be used during atmospheric flight as well). There were only two human males on the mining staff it shouldn't take long.

<snip>

Voice Print Analysis:
Subject Match
Ander Helmut 3.32%
Peter Ritz 6.03%

Hah! I was right! Bet that won't happen again.

"I don't know who this guy is, but he's NOT in our database."
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Will » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Terl Obar wrote:B'Loone rapidly punches in a voice print on his engineering console (those two seats are configured so that they can be used during atmospheric flight as well). There were only two human males on the mining staff it shouldn't take long. While he is waiting for the computer to finish Sebastian calls out his recommendation to hold fire. Two turns pass as that activity is going on.

You are now 2900m from the SPDR, still on an oblique course that passes to the SW of the camp. The computer completes it's analysis just as your radio comes to life again. "Dart, you are still on a flyby course, are you coming in or not? You guys still with us?" the base controller calls out. B'Loone's computer screen reads:

Voice Print Analysis:
Subject Match
Ander Helmut 3.32%
Peter Ritz 6.03%

"Hold your G-strings," Maria replies, changing course,"We're coming in now."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:00 pm

Figures, thinks Malcom silently. There just had to be a course correction just before we're in range.

"Just keep the turret on the target side, Darlin'," he says to Maria. He manipulates the PLT controls to keep the rooftop SPDR in the center of the crosshairs and watches the the range indicator slide toward 2000m. "We're almost there. It should take no more then three shots to put this thing out of commission, and that's if it has an albedo screen active. They're in for a rude surprise. Hey Leo, be ready to contact the Red Box boats and warn them not to go anywhere when I start shooting. I will take them out if I have to."
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Bonehead » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:58 pm

BD Cerridwen wrote: "We're almost there. It should take no more then three shots to put this thing out of commission, and that's if it has an albedo screen active. They're in for a rude surprise. Hey Leo, be ready to contact the Red Box boats and warn them not to go anywhere when I start shooting. I will take them out if I have to."

"Mal, those SPiDeRs do have an albedo screen. They also have an inertia screen, but that doesn't matter much now."
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 pm

Just to be clear. You are going to start shooting at 2000m. Is that correct? You'll have a 65% chance to hit at that point. If not let me know what range you plan to open up at or if you have some other plan in mind.

You are now 2600m from the SPDR and headed straight towards the landing pad.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:29 pm

He knows that he doesn't have time to get the results before the shooting starts, but B'Looone will expand the parameters of his voice print search to include all human male OE employees.
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Will » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:12 am

BD Cerridwen wrote:Figures, thinks Malcom silently. There just had to be a course correction just before we're in range.

"Just keep the turret on the target side, Darlin'," he says to Maria. He manipulates the PLT controls to keep the rooftop SPDR in the center of the crosshairs and watches the the range indicator slide toward 2000m. "We're almost there. It should take no more then three shots to put this thing out of commission, and that's if it has an albedo screen active. They're in for a rude surprise. Hey Leo, be ready to contact the Red Box boats and warn them not to go anywhere when I start shooting. I will take them out if I have to."

"Keep on the sunny side," Maria starts singing in her usual key of off, as she points so Malcom can shoot,"always on the sunny side/Keep on the sunny side of life. It will help you every day/It will keep you on your way/Keep on the sunny side of life."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Referee wrote:Just to be clear. You are going to start shooting at 2000m. Is that correct? You'll have a 65% chance to hit at that point. If not let me know what range you plan to open up at or if you have some other plan in mind.

That's correct. Malcom will open fire at 2000m.
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:34 pm

At a range of 2000m, Malcom opens fire with the Dart's laser turret. Maria's course change didn't phase him a bit and his first shot is dead on, hitting the SPDR along its left legs. There is a flash of light and you realize that the 'bot already had its Albedo screen up.

Just as the shot is fired, your radio explodes. "Dart, what in blazes are you doing!?! If you don't desist right now you will be shot down, DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:01 am

"Sorry, weapons check malfunction," Maria lies, getting ready to jink like a mad monkey.

"For what we are about to receive," she comments to herself,"may we be truly thankful."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:55 pm

"Wow," says Malcom as he depresses the firing switch again. "That almost sounded as if they want us to believe them."

OOC: Oh shoot. I mis-remembered how albedo screens work. At typical damage figures, it looks like it will take four shots to bring the screen down and a fifth to destroy the bot. :(
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Shadow Shack » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:38 am

Too far away to actually observe the action, but overhearing the discussion on the intercom, Sebastian toggles the mike and calls out "Get us closer! If that spider-bot has an albedo screen, ol' Chatterbox can make Minotaurian mincemeat out of it!"

OOC --- gotta be at least 500m or closer for a fair chance to hit with the machine gun.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:36 am

"Sounds like a plan," Maria remarks, sweating bullets at the same time.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:17 am

At 1700m, Malcom fires again and once again lights up the SPDR's albedo screen. In response, six laser beams flash back at the Dart. One from each of three remaining corner towers, one each from the two towers in the middle of the long edges of the compound and the sixth from the SPDR on the roof of the main building. Being at the extreme edge of the lasers' range, they all miss. (Refer back to this map for reference to what towers are still standing.)

On the ground, Maria can see all the 'bots and beings that were loading the shuttles scurrying for cover and the shuttles closing up their cargo bays in an attempt to protect whatever is inside.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Sebastian flips the toggle once more. "I think we just confirmed the friend or foe question."
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure