Pre-Adventure: In the Briefing Room

This is where the action will be played out

Moderator: Terl Obar

Re: Pre-Adventure: In the Briefing Room

Postby Will » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:23 am

Seeing the Minotaur extend his hand in a hoverbiker wave, Maria can't help but return the gesture.

This Sebastian's going to turn out to be the most dangerous one of us...good, she thinks to herself, giving Malcom a hard look.

And Mal over here's gonna make a nuisance of himself, she observes. Probably will have to take him down a peg sooner or later.

"No idea," she says in answer to the Minotaur's question.
"So, no more running. I aim to misbehave."
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby Bonehead » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:30 am

umungus wrote:Ting ignores her and unsnaps his double holsters as he scuttles toward B'Looone.
"Greetings... the name's Ting Zik Kit."
He extends his penti claw toward the Dralasite.
"Please call me 'Ting."

B'Looone extands a "claw" to greet the Vrusk. "'Ting, 'Ting, 'Ting, 'Ting, 'Ting, we have a winner! I'm B'Looone, and I'm very glad to meet you". he leans in closer to 'Ting and says, in a hushed voice, "I was starting to worry that I might be the only non-human on this job."
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby cliff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 pm

A taller and heavier than normal Yazirian walks through the door, his gait is stiff and uneasy like. You notice a prominent scar down the left side of his face, running from jaw to temple. His mane is graying and his skin is leathery and weather beaten. His “wings” also contain many scars. He wears a military skein suit similar to that worn by the Spacefleet Marines minus any unit and rank insignias.

He glances over at the human male leaning against the wall, gives him a barely perceptible nod. He walks about halfway down to the far end of the room and leans against the wall himself. His right hand rests leisurely on the grip of a holstered automatic pistol. Casually, he looks over the rest of the members in the room.

“The human against the wall, fighter pilot, to cool to be a grunt. The human female? Tattoos and all, biker, looking for a little action, perhaps, or a new lease on life. My red friend here, most be from Inner Dramune, I new a couple of blobs from there, they are dependable. The Vrusk, who knows what goes on in a vrusk’s head, to many eyes, can’t see what they’re thinking. The other human male, smells of bravado. Could mean trouble.” Gren thinks to himself while looking the others over.

“Afternoon everybody, I’m Grenomenorach but you all can just call me Gren.”
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Shadow Shack » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:16 am

Sebastian rolls his eyes at the dral's stale humor. "Frag, I'll miss working alongside an all human crew" he thinks to himself.

Then the grizzly yazirian walks in, and Sebastian returns the nod. "Spacefleet Marine, " he muses again to himself, "I've worked alongside them a few times during joint missions back in the militia days. And a yaz to boot, he'll definitely be better with us than against us. Gotta watch myself though, their reputations for violence are legendary."

"Greetings Gren. " He eyes the rest individually and repeats the salutation, "Maria, Malcom, B'Looone, and Ting." Got the names down. Good, that'll be important later. Especially that fiesty female, I doubt she'd respond well to an informal 'hey you'...

The desire for decent food overcomes him at last. Can't resist the temptation, those rations were nourishing back in the Directorate days and spaceliner food was quite the eye openeer, but this is fresh food, something he'd not had in a very long time. He pushes off the wall and saunters over to the end of the table, keeping himself at arm's length from anyone, and helps himself to one of the finger sandwiches that Maria seemed to find so tasty.

"Blast," he says with a mouthful, ignoring military protocol, "It's been too long since my palate's seen the likes of decent grub."
Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby Will » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:14 am

A shiver goes through Maria upon seeing the Yaz, the monkey bringing back unpleasant memories of childhood.

She recovers, not wanting to show anyone fear, allowing the Minotaur to have his fill of the food, before she recharges her plate.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby estradling » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 am

A male human enters the room. His brown hair is cropped short, his skin a leathery tan from long term weather exposure. Leo scans the room and notices all the weapons. Muttering to himself he saids, "Ok now I fill underdressed for this job." Then he moves over to the food and samples a bit.
estradling
Scout

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Bonehead, I lost your post. The hardware crashed and my last restore point was before your post. Sorry about that.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 pm

"It's getting crowded in here", B'Looone says to the room.

Oy, he thinks to himself, an angry human female who seems to hate anything other than human males, a cocky human male who probably likes to give orders, and a yazerian who looks like he's spent a little too much time in battle rage. This'll be a disciplined crew.

"How big is this expedition supposed to be, anyway?"
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:53 pm

"Hey Gren, I'm Malcom." He offers the Yaz a hand.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby cliff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:30 pm

Gren Nods at the Human named Malcom but does not take his hand.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
cliff
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 pm

The door to the conference room opens and a Dralisite enters. The Dral is bipedal at the moment with two arms and an extended head making him about 1.5m tall. He is definitely not young but beyond that his age is indeterminate to most of you (B'Looone could give a close estimate if you asked him). His skin is dyed a faint metallic blue and you notice several scars on various parts of his exposed skin where it looks extremely inelastic. He is wearing a military skeinsuit, and has a pair of pistols holstered at his sides and has an Electric Sword strapped across his back. He is also wearing a utility belt that has a pair of power beltpacks, a screen and a bunch of grenades. He stops in the doorway and appraises each of you in turn before continuing into the room.

“Good it looks like everyone is here.” He says in a light tenor voice that seems completely out of place on an old grizzled Dralisite. “Please, grab something to munch on and have a seat at the table,” he says as he enters the room and crosses over to the refreshment table. He moves with an air of confidence and the walk of a being that doesn't expect to have anything get in his way and can handle it if it does. Staring at the table a moment, he grabs a banana-chocolate Drammune Pudding and drops it into a pouch on his belt. He also picks up a large chip but doesn't do anything with it immediately.

Turning to face you again he continues. “My name is Leelab Lar. But everyone just calls me Lee. I'm part owner of Obar Enterprises. I wear other hats as well but that's the one that is important right now.” As he is speaking he heads to the front of the room sets the chip down and touches the table. A holographic keyboard appears on the table in front of him and he types something causing a panel in the wall to open up. Going to the recently revealed cabinet he pulls out seven envelopes. He then moves around the room, stops by each of you, looks you in the eye, addresses you by name and hands you one of the envelopes which you notice has your name on it.

Moving back to the head of the table, Lee turns to face you once again. “Okay, let's cut straight to the chase and get down to business. Obar Enterprises is a relatively small organization that has good connections. Primarily a freight company, we have a few other interests as well. We currently own seven interstellar starships with an eighth under construction here at the Triad SCC. What you are probably wondering is what this all has to do with you. What does a small freight company need with a trouble shooting team? Well, we are growing and as we do, there are more and more things that we need or want done that we can't do ourselves, as much as we'd like to.

“Having served on a troubleshooter team for CDC ourselves many years ago, Terl, Yala, those are the other two owners, and I decided that that was exactly what we needed. A team that would be self governing that we could point at a problem and not have to supervise every detail. A diverse group that could tackle anything that came up and had the initiative and determination to get things done. That is what we want from you. You will be mostly on your own on assignments. We won't tell you how to do your job, just what the job is we want done.

“So, details. First off, pay, everybody's interested in that. We are strong believers that it takes the team to succeed and that no one is more important than anyone else. Equal responsibility, equal risk, equal reward. As such you will all draw the same pay rate which, based on your skills and background, I believe you will find quite generous. If you decide to sign on, your pay rate will be 350 credits a day paid weekly into whatever account you would like.

“In addition to your base pay, there will probably be many time when the completion of your assignments will result in the acquisition of real or valuable property. Small value stuff, weapons, ammo, power packs, etc. are yours for the claiming. As you find the stuff, take what you need. Things you don't need, larger quantities or other high value items, spaceships, real property, etc, will become property of Obar Enteprises. However, your team will be credited with 10% of their value. That money will be yours to divide and spend as you please.

“Second, supplies. When we give you an assignment, you will have the opportunity to request any supplies you think you might need to get the job done. If we can get it for you we will. The last thing we want is to send you out unprepared or underequipped.

“Third, a ship. Initially, we have some assignments for you in the Truane's Star system. Eventually, however, we expect that you will be ranging all over the Frontier. We have a brand new ship, the TSSS Dart, that will be your team's ship for use however you need it. It is a small HS 2 vessel, interstellar and atmospheric capable. It is also lightly armed and has a 1 cargo unit carrying capacity. It is completing construction at the Pale SCC and will be done by the time we get there. The first thing you will get to do is take it out on it's shakedown cruise.

“Finally those envelopes. They mostly just contain the typical HR stuff for new hires, a non-disclosure agreement, you will learn corporate secrets, starting from day one and we expect you to keep those to yourselves, forms to fill out for payroll deposit, etc. In addition, they contain your initial access information to the computer systems on the TSSS Morning Glory, Obar Enterprises' flagship and your ride to Truane's Star.

“Okay, I've bellowed enough. What questions do you have up front? Ask away and I'll try to answer as best I can. Details of your first assignment will come once we are underway.” With that he stops and waits to see what you have to say.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Will » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 am

Maria nods at the blue blob, taking in what it has to say, as she fills out the new hire packet's multiplicity of forms.

Checking to make sure she's missed nothing, she hands them over to the blob.
—Malcolm Reynolds
Will
Station Master

Postby estradling » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am

Leo' heads nods as he takes in the information from the Dralisite and the packet.

It sounded like 350 cr a day to keep them on retainer to do whatever job they needed. That was generous. Add to that the cost of supplies, and room and board (at least when they used a ship) and that meant a greater cash flow then he had ever see before. Leo suspected the others would be the same as him in that regard.

He was a bit leery of the no direct leader, given the groups apparent make-up. Hopefully that would work out.

As he started signing paperwork he asked, "Given that the TSSS Dart is likely to be our home for long periods of time, how much leeway to we have in giving it shall we say 'personal' touches? It is a company ship after all."
estradling
Scout

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am

"You are correct, most likely the Dart will be your home most of the time. I recommend you keep the Reflective Hull in good repair but other than that, feel free to personalize it any way you want. It was built specifically for your team's use. While the company owns the title, for all intents and purposes, it is your ship."
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Bonehead » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:20 am

B'Looone was relieved to see a fellow Dralasite enter the room. When he finally realized who it was he was looking at, an audible (dralasite equivalent of a) gasp escaped him.

No way! he thought to himself. Few Dralasites (over the age of 30) don't know who Leelab Lar is. Especially if they grew up on Inner Reach. He's only half my age, but he's already accomplished more than I can even hope to in my whole life.

B'Looone was so in awe of Lee that he didn't hear him start to speak, and was startled when an envelope was thrust at him. Shaken from his revelry, he accepted the envelope and focused his attention on the famous Drasalite.

B'Looone liked what he heard. Carte Blanche to blow things up and take their stuff! The hard part will be getting this "team" to work. He quickly read and completed the paperwork that was contained in his envelope and handed it back to Lee.

"Tell me more about this 'Dart': what can she do?"
Are we there yet?
Bonehead
Explorer

Postby Terl Obar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:27 pm

"Okay, the TSSS Dart, newest ship in the Obar Enterprises fleet. You'll get the full specs and deckplans on board the Morning Glory but here is the short version. She's hull size two, thirty-two meters tip to tail. Fuselage is a five by seven meter oval. She's designed for both atmospheric flight as well as interstellar space and has a large delta wing configuration and a wingspan of twenty six meters. Her rudder and elevators extend another four meters above the fuselage giving her a total height of about nine and a quarter meters. In addition to her primary main atomic class A engine, she has two turbojet engines installed in the wings for atmospheric flight. The main decks are designed for space flight but there is an atmospheric deck with bridge and crew chairs for horizontal flight.

"The Dart is rated at ten hull points and has a damage control rating of twenty-six. In space she has an ADF and MR of four, a reflective hull and a Pod Laser Turret for defense. She's not designed as a figher craft but rather to slip in unnoticed. In the air, using the jet engines, she handles like an aircar although you can't hover. Of course you always have the option of a huge afterburner if you kick in the main engine," Lee adds with a grin. "She's rated up to Mach 3 but don't do that over any heavily populated areas or you'll probably have the local authorities and possibly Star Law and Starfleet after you. We want to try to avoid that when at all possible." he adds, completely deadpan which elicits an unconsioius giggle from B'Looone. "When in atmosphere, the Pod Laser Turret reconfigures and operates like a Heavy Laser but with double the range.

"What else," he thinks for a moment, "oh yeah, docking and landing. Single airlock on the top deck with a universal docking adapter. You can hook up to any station or ship in the Frontier if needed. For going dirtside, you have two options, vertical or horizontal landings. There are landing gear designed to allow you to land on your main engine tail first like an assault scout or the 'Moraes", Lee nods to Leo. "This allows you to use the ship decks as you would in space and gives the best field of fire for your laser turret. In addition, if you have access to a runway and want to come down horizontal on your jet engines there are landing gear that allow you to do that as well.

"Finally she has a one unit cargo bay, it is aft, just ahead of the rudder. It fills the body of the ship and is about six and a half meters tall. The bay doors open such that if you are horizontal on the ground the exposed bay is above the wings(OOC: Think Space Shuttle style). We may have you move small loads from time to time but mainly I expect it will just be a big storage locker. It's big enough you can park an explorer in there with room to spare.

"Other questions?"
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Shadow Shack » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:21 pm

"So let me get all this straight," Sebastian says, "you give us a job and we tackle it any way we see fit, we're calling the shots and don't need your consent. Success yields positive credit on both of our behalves, failure no doubt met by plausible deniability on yours. And as for this ship, she sounds perfect for the job." He retrieves one more of those tasty sandwiches, "Can't wait to put her through the paces and see what she can do. Count me in."

He opens his packet and examines the contents.
Forever Three Hoverfans

Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby estradling » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Leo simply gives a tight grin when the ship from his prior job is mentioned. Most people by now would have heard of the Mutiny, even if they couldn't place him as one of the members of that story. His new employer was undoubtedly well connected enough to put the two together.
estradling
Scout

Postby Shadow Shack » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 pm

As he examines the contents of the packet, his foot contacts his roll bag with the machine gun and ammo stowed within. He looks back up to Leelab Lar. "Would it be too late to request a heavy weapons mount in the Dart's airlock to assist in repelling boarders? It'd be nice to have one at each hatch. I'll foot the bill for them if need be."
Shadow Shack
Station Master

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Malcom examines the contents of the envelope as the Q&A session goes on. at a pause in the conversation he pipes up "What about medical?"
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventure