Release 0.0.7

Announcements about new releases, updates, etc.

Moderator: Terl Obar

Release 0.0.7

Postby Terl Obar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:05 pm

Seems I accidentally packaged up version 0.0.5 in the 0.0.6 zip file for Windows. Not to fear, release 0.0.7 is now available. There are only a few more features but it is now to the point that a complete battle can be set up. This version adds (relative to version 0.0.6):

• After placing the station you now select its direction of rotation around the planet
  • Placement of ships on the map.
    • Select a ship icon
    • Click on the hex you want it to be in
    • Select its initial heading
    • Select its initial speed
  • Prompt for the attacker to select ships to move (but at that point nothing else happens :( ).

As before the tactical board is still in more of a demo mode and not tied into the actual SSW game. It can be viewed by going to the 'Show' menu and selecting 'Show Battle Board'.

You can download the current versions using the following links:
Windows version (1.6 MB)
Linux version (3.8 MB)
(And if someone wants to buy me a Mac :D , I'd be happy to port it to OS X as well.)

I figured out why the Linux one is so much bigger. In Linux, where I do my development, I build a Debug version of the code while on Windows, where I'm basically just verifying that it works, I build a Release version. The Linux debug version is 3x larger than the Linux version without the debugging symbols.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Re: Release 0.0.7

Postby Aethelwulffe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:33 pm

I have finally taken time to really tinker with the new version for a while. I did find a little bug, but I forgot to document it. I will look for it again (linux version).
Are you planning on having a front-end GUI to replace the menus? I would help a good bit to have a "lead us by the nose" GUI so that game play is easier to figure out. I guess that would be one of the last things to complete vs the first thing to do....

What I am most curious about is the possibility for multiplayer. Anything in the works?
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Location: The East Coast of the West Coast of the East Coast.

Re: Release 0.0.7

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Eventually on both counts. First I'm going to get it working on a single box and then will add the network stuff. It is set up to do that and I know how, it's just a matter of getting the base functionality implemented. I'm just about to the point to do a new release. Once the core functionality is working, I'll play around with the interface to jazz it up. Feel free to post specific suggestions in the mean time.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Return to Release Announcements