Release 0.0.10

Announcements about new releases, updates, etc.

Moderator: Terl Obar

Release 0.0.10

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:27 pm

This release adds the tactical combat into the strategic game. Now, when the UPF and Sathar end up in the same system in the strategic game and you pick the fleets that will be involved in the battle, to "To the Battleboard" button now illuminates and when you click on it starts up the tactical combat game with the actual fleets involved. It is now possible to play out the entire game "hot seat" style with two players taking turns at the same computer.

I've provided a sample game file that you can use to play around with the strategic game if you don't want to set up your own. Just save the file to disk and use the File->Open menu item to load it up. It has a minimal Sathar entry - four 5 ship fleets entering from 4 different points - and was saved right after the setup was complete so it is the Sathar's turn (they can bring in more ships if they want) and SF Nova is not yet on the board.

In the tactical game, I've added in the effects of gravity when moving around a planet on the map. Now when a planet is present and your path goes by it, the computer will automatically adjust your path to swing around the planet.

Ships' weapons are replenished at the end of a strategic turn once combat is over. However, the supply rules are not currently being enforced which means that any ship that survives the battle automatically gets its ammo replenished even if it is technically out of supply. However, there is still no repair so lost weapons and HP stay lost.

There are probably some edge cases in various areas that I missed so if you run into any problems let me know. I'll be updating the User's Guide over the next few days to include the complete strategic game instructions in addition to the existing tactical game instructions.

The sample battle is still there and still pits 3 UPF Assault Scouts and 1 Frigate against a Sathar Destroyer and Light Cruiser. However, I've added in a planet and armed station for the UPF so you can test out the gravity effects if you don't want to play the entire strategic game. I'll be curious to see how many times each team wins with the new balance of power.

Here are the download files:
Download the Windows version (~1.6 MB)
Download the Linux version (~4.4 MB)

I said this with the last release but I mean it this time. :D It will probably be a while before another release comes out. I'm going to be doing some serious refactoring of the code behind the scenes and adding a bunch of unit tests. I decided to get the somewhat playable full game out first so you have something to do while I'm working on this. There are some issues with the code base that I need to clean up to really be able to move forward that I want take care of and it may take a while.

In the mean time, enjoy and send feedback.
The Laws of Physics will be enforced.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Re: Release 0.0.10

Postby Aethelwulffe » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Currently, in the Windows version:

1. Defensive fire can destroy attacking ships before they get a chance to attack.
2. I can't figure out how to slow down or speed up. I set my initial speed at 4, but the ships are moving 7 when the game starts. I imagine that the yellow crosshatching has something to do with it...
3. Selecting ships out of stacks is a little rough. Sometimes you can't get to the right one.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Location: The East Coast of the West Coast of the East Coast.

Postby Terl Obar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:04 pm

1. Yes that is the way the canon rules work. Defensive fire can take out a ship on its movement turn before it fires.
2. The orange hatched hexes represent the range of hexes you can end in based on your speed from last round and your ADF. If you start out with speed 4 and your ADF is three you should have 7 orange hashed hexes in front of your ship representing being able to move 1 to 7 hexes this turn.
3. I know. I intend to eventually make a right click pop up window to select ships.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Aethelwulffe » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Ah, I assumed you were using the simultaneous resolution system such as in the board-game you are running. I find that the "defender always wins the gunbattle" and the "defender can shoot at any point during the move" stuff to really stink up the point of going on the assault, so I always ignored that rule, as did a lot of folks that actually got around to playing KH a bit. Might be a nice point to decide if you are going to allow optional rules, and put in some code to support it. That one would be a nice one to add, should you add some game play options.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:47 am

Actually, that's number one on my optional rule list to add already. So yes, it will eventually be there.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby BD Cerridwen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:14 pm

With the space station, the UPF have been 4 fer 4 so far. I wonder if I have subconsciously dumbed down my Sathar play? I must try to play them smarter.
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Aethelwulffe » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Funny....The UPF hasn't won yet with me... I frankly don't see how it is possible for them to win if you play for keeps with the Sathar. Maybe we can do a blow-by blow move example of how our respective games went.
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby BD Cerridwen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Perhaps you're doing the reverse of what I'm doing - subconsciously nerfing the UPF. :lol:
Be alert! After all, the galaxy needs more lerts!
BD Cerridwen
Ranger

Postby Aethelwulffe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Started a fleet in White Light. When I click on the UPF fleet there, the game crashes.
download save game here: http://starfrontiers.org/khvcode/Game1.zip
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am

Were you using this version 0.0.10 or the new one 0.0.11?
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Postby Aethelwulffe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Windows file date modified 28 may
Aethelwulffe
Ranger

Postby Terl Obar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Okay, I'll take a look. In the mean time, I've just uploaded a release 0.0.12. It doesn't address this issue but adds a stand alone combat game with 4 predefined scenarios you can play. I'm building a scenario editor right now.
Terl Obar
Fleet Commander

Return to Release Announcements